Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

.$$M Files Creating A5 Chaos!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.$$M Files Creating A5 Chaos!

Hey Guys,

I've been using Alpha Four/Five since 1990 when Steve Workings and I started with the DOS version. Today I'm encountering one of the most bizarre problems ever. So after a very long absence, I'm returning to the Alpha Message Board.

I created a new application that was working fine, however, problems arose as Alpha kept saying it couldn't find the MEMO field. Of course it couldn't because there weren't any. As usual, I thought that error message was a result of something stupid I did, so I deleted the entire application [a very simple flat file app] and created a brand new one in a different folder.

Guess what? The same thing happened, I have trouble opening tables, forms, and/or reports because Alpha cannot find the memo field that never existed.

In addition, when I try to format fields in a report, I receive an error message ["Error Running Script"]. I'm sure there are other problems I haven't discovered yet. I noticed that a .$$M file with the name of the application is being created in every new application I create. I also played with an old application and now it too has that dreaded .$$M file. If memory serves me correct, that has something to do with temporary files.

I already had the latest patch for version 9 [I don't think there's been a new one for months], but just to make sure, I downloaded the latest patch and installed it. Nothing changed.

I also ran Kaspersky to see if there is a virus affecting A5 but the scan came back negative.

This is truly bizarre but I'm hoping someone else had a similar problem and you may be able to point me in the right direction.
    Last edited by rtbtat; 12-22-2009, 03:00 PM.

Re: .$$M Files Creating A5 Chaos!

Assuming you are dealing with a desktop app, see this thread - http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ad.php?t=75153

Comment

Cal,
      Your $$ delete script is great for the temporary files (files STARTING with $$ prior to the extension), but I don't think it does anything for the $$ that occur IN the extension...which to me is actually the indication of corruption in the .DDM file. The .$$M IS the .DDM file as far as I can determine and deleting it has never helped me---I have always had to resort to a backup to replace it in order for the form/etc to work again.
      Mike

Comment

Sorry, guess I was just focused on the "$$".

I found one such ".$$M" file in my data. The file was from 2006 and all other files are there - at least they are now. As Mike said, the file appears to be a memo file. (The .ddm file is also actually a memo file - it just has a different extension for use with the data dictionary rather than the actual data.) It might be a copy of the .fpt file at the time the .$$M file was created since the memo fields in my particular table are all blank. Both files are 512 bytes and both look exactly the same in a hex editor. Or - and I would tend to go with Mike on this one - it may be a blank version of the .ddm file. The .DDM file in my application is about 5 meg. but that doesn't mean that the .$$M file wasn't somehow created as a blank .DDM file. It's very possible that I restored the file or rebuild the layouts, etc. that are attached to that table.

Not sure if this helps solve your problem but at least you know a little more about what the $$M file is.

I wonder if the $$M file is always created as a blank file? If so and the .ddm file disappears when it's created, restoring from a backup would be the only way to recover.

If you don't have a backup and need to rebuild your layouts for that table, I think I'd feel safer deleting all existing .dd* files for that table (and the $$M file) and starting over from scratch. If you delete those files using Windows Explorer, A5 will recreate them - blank of course - the first time you open the table.

You could try just changing the $$M extension to DDM but I'm not sure exactly what will happen. You might be lucky and recover a few things but, if the $$M file is empty, I guarantee it won't be much and the risk of creating other issues probably isn't worth it.
        Last edited by CALocklin; 12-23-2009, 03:53 AM.

Comment

Cal, I think Mike C was right, this had nothing to do with your temporary files script. I've been using A5 since version one and I've had my fair share of minor problems over the years, most of them were caused by poor database design on my part . However, I came to the conclusion that the .$$M issue indicated my A5 program was corrupt. The problems were not unique to any individual application, they occurred in 3 different new apps which were created in 3 different folders, none of which had any memo files.

Maybe this happened when I upgraded from VISTA to Win 7 eight weeks ago? Unlike the upgrade from XP to VISTA, Win 7 does not force you to reinstall the program application from scratch. This was the first NEW app I tried to create since that Win 7 upgrade in late October.

It appears as if the .$$M file would be created after I compacted the database, which is something I always do after designing new tables, forms, or reports. The .$$M file would be created for the database name, individual table, and/or the .DDM file. Once that happened, I could not open forms, reports, and/or the individual table. I would instead receive an error message stating Alpha could not find the MEMO file. Of course there never was a Memo file.

In the end I decided to uninstall A5, restart the computer, install A5, and then download the latest patch. That made a vast improvement, but it did not completely eliminate the .$$M problem that occurred once since then. However, now I can change the properties of objects in forms and reports without receiving a "script error" message. So guys, I'm holding my breath and hoping this corruption issue doesn't come back.
          Last edited by rtbtat; 12-23-2009, 07:14 AM. Reason: grammatical errors

Comment

There was a post about Kaspersky 2010 corrupting DDM files on Windows 7. Search for "Kaspersky" and you should see it. It was called 'Windows7 adb compact'.

Originally posted by Walter View Post
            Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

Michael, yes - all tables and layouts are closed.

On my desktop pc with Vista Business - is everything running ok.

I bought the laptop - with Win 7 64 bit - but got the error - then reloaded win 7 32 bit - still same error (thought the 64 -32 bit would have a difference)...

Then I though if I create a brand new app in version 10 on win 7 - would it fix the problem - but no luck either.

Then running the app, would it gradually corrupt all the *.dd* files, so when you want to open a form then, do you get the error - form does not exists-.

Any ideas?
            Regards
            Walter

Comment

aRob thanks, I found the thread and posted a question to Walter. He said Kaspersky 2010, which is what I'm using, caused his A5 Database Compact problem, however, he didn't provide any specifics. I asked him to give me details as to why he thought it was Kaspersky.

Comment

Robert,
                I had used Kaspersky for almost a year as it came with the PC I purchased. After I tweaked it as much as I could figure out, it still caused quite a bit of sluggishness especially when Alpha was working. I wonder if this could be causing timing issues within Alpha which in turn makes certain things not completed thus corrupting....just a thought.

BTW--since going back to the free version of Avast Antivirus, I have had no slow downs (have used it for years now).

A way to check it out then would be to disable Kaspersky---install and use Avast temporarily if necessary then.
                Mike

Comment

I have used Kaspersky on XP for over a year and have never had any problems. Performance is better than with Norton or Trend Micro products.

Comment

MikeC:

Interesting idea but I'm not ready for it, in fact, I would be somewhat nervous about giving that a try. One of the cardinal rules is never having two anti-virus applications on the same system. I understand you would disable one while running the other, but that makes me very uncomfortable since both of them are installed in the registry and it may cause more problems than it's worth.

By the way, Kaspersky is rated very high but I've heard really good things about that free application you mentioned, Avast.

Comment

I guess uninstalling and reinstalling Alpha Five did not resolve my problem. I held my breath, compacted a database, and the dreaded .$$M file reappeared with the name of the database. Now I can't open any forms or reports because Alpha cannot find the memo file that never existed.

This is truly bizarre and I'm trying to figure out if as Walter stated, Kaspersky 2010 is the culprit. I don't understand why my anti-virus application would cause a problem when compacting a database, but right now I don't have any other clues or explanations.

Comment

I'm really curious exactly what files you ended up with. Specifically...

Are all the .ddm files still there? If so, are they larger than 1 Kb? (Actually, 512 Bytes is a blank .ddm file - anything larger has something in it.)

There will definitely be a problem if you find any <filename>.ddd files that don't have a matching <filename>.ddm file. (There should also be a <filename>.ddx file but that doesn't seem to be the issue.)

This same thing applies to .sem files - every .set file should have a matching .sem and .sex file. (And, no, your users should not delete all the "sex" files from their system like one of mine did!:))

Also, if more than one .ddm file is missing, is there only one .$$M file or is there one .$$M file for every missing .ddm file?

Comment

Originally posted by rtbtat View Post
                          . I don't understand why my anti-virus application would cause a problem when compacting a database, but right now I don't have any other clues or explanations.
                          the anti-virus can be scanning the file while alpha wants it open exclusively.

Is there a setting for file types to exclude or include for the anti-virus?

Have you turned off your anti-virus and tried the compacting?
                          Al Buchholz
                          Bookwood Systems, LTD
                          Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
                          Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
                          Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                          When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                          "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
                          Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Great questions Cal and now I'm sorry I deleted all of the folders where I had this problem, most of which had more than one .$$M file. I tried to re-create it in a new, small database that I just started working on. After the 3rd compact, the .$$M file showed up.

1. This time the .$$M file did not replace the database name file, which was typical on previous occasions. This time the .$$M showed up in the individual table.

2. There is no .DDM file, the .$$M apparently replaced it.

3. The .$$M file is 122 kb in a very small table with only 5 records.

I'm going to keep playing around, but at this point in time, I can't answer your other question because there's only one table. But as you can imagine, I cannot open my form or report. With the report Alpha states it cannot find the memo file. And with the custom form, it opens the default form.

I hope the above answered your questions.

Comment

Al, that reference to A5 wanting exclusive control over the file may be the answer.

I checked Kaspersky's help file and there wasn't any reference to excluding files.There must be a way to exclude certain types of files but they don't make it easy or obvious. I'm going to post a question on the Kaspersky user forum.

As for turning off Kaspersky, I would try that except that the .$$M file problem doesn't happen every time I compact a database. It's more of a random event. I know the problem occurs after a compact, but it doesn't happen every single time. If that was the case, turning off Kaspersky would definitely answer the question.

I also get very nervous when I turn off my anti-virus protection, even for a brief time, so that's a difficult option for me. Anyway, as mentioned above, I'm going to see if the Kaspersky forum has any ideas or suggestions.
                              Last edited by rtbtat; 12-24-2009, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X