Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Null value Excel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Null value Excel

Hi,
    I'm exporting a dbf table to Excel via AlphaDAO. A Numeric field, of course will show a zero if the field has ever been "disturbed" in Alpha. I can easily run an xbasic routine to set the fields with a 0 to be null in the Alpha dbf table dependent upon whether a certain field has data.

I would like to have the same happen in the Excel file. Whether the field is blank or zero in the Alpha table, it shows up in Excel as a zero---I want it to be blank (not show the zero) when a certain Excel column has data.

So....
    Can this be done inside of Excel (with a formula perhaps?)
    Can this be accomplished via Alpha either prior to or after export?

Now I'll see just how many Excel gurus there are here in Alphaland (besides Stan of course!).
    Last edited by MikeC; 12-30-2009, 10:12 PM.
    Mike

Re: Null value Excel

In Excel:
    Go to the Tools menu, click Options, click the View tab, uncheck zero.

Comment

Thanks G.....but that will make all the zeroes become blank instead of just the specific column that when having data become blank when zero.

Here is a screenshot to make it hopefully a bit more clear.

Mike

Comment

Create a column next to the ones with the values then put this formula:
        =IF(AND(C1=0,A1<>""),"",C1)
        Then hide the column (In this formula that would be column C)

Last edited by G Gabriel; 12-30-2009, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Close for a single column---except for the very first which is basically a header and needs to remain the same, each cell would need such a formula---what actually works for a specific cell such as the 2nd row down is:
          =IF(A2<>"","",C2)

EDIT---cross-postings--I will check out your new formula.....
          Mike

Comment

The formula is:
            =IF(AND(C1=0,A1<>""),"",C1)
            Copy it to all pertinent rows.

Comment

So if I knew what rows were to be there, I could create the formula for each cell....is there a way to have a generic formula for the entire column that would accommodate this situation? That is, a single formula that is defined that would convert whatever rows to blank that met the criteria for the specific row.....IOW, in this excel file I want the amounts to be blank anytime there is data in the TEXT column---except for the very first line which acts as the header.

This is where I am definitely beyond my expertise in Excel. If it cannot be a formula that can be created and placed as a whole without having to do it for each individual cell then it is a no go for this project (unless a formula that works and then a highlight the parts of the column to apply it to and paste the formula in one fell swoop).

Asking for a lot here I know---main thing is to find out IF it can even be done...am having my doubts.
              Mike

Comment

You only write the formula once then copy it down the column.
                Here is a trick for a quick copy:

Highlight the cell that has the formula, you will notice a very tiny square at the right lower corner
                Put the mouse on this square, a cross will appear. Hold & Drag down the rows, as many rows as you want, the formula will be copied to all these cells in that column.

Comment

G,
                  I appreciate your time on this.

I knew there was a way to paste formulas to multiple cells but could not remember it--thanks.

What pleasantly surprised me is that the formula changed to represent each cell so that it works . A bit more testing but should be a doable way for the end user.

Thanks again.

Still would be great if it could be totally automated, but then I guess I have to remember I am dealing with Excel!
                  Last edited by MikeC; 12-30-2009, 11:18 PM.
                  Mike

Comment

It can be completely automated from within Alpha with activex.
                    A search of "activex excel" yields lots of useful information. It is not a trivial task but if you want to export data regularly it may be worth the time required.
                    Garry

Comment

Hi Garry,
                      Thanks for the info.

Oddity here though.....I had tested prior to posting the export of my dbf with several zeroes being blanked out and they all came into Excel as zeroes instead of blanks.

After G let me know how to use a formula in Excel to do this manually, I went back and tried it again----now, and very consistently, all dbf blank numeric fields export to Excel as Blanks! Go figure!!!

Have no clue as to why....and now will have to spend more time testing just to make sure it was a fluke before.

So now all is well and have finished my scripting to set all necessary numerics to null with dynamic code that allows for the variable amount of fields due to the user choosing one or more company files for the cross-tab/join operations prior to export. A lot of work, but now completely automated with a single button push.

In case others need to set numerics to null, I modified the help file script a bit to do so---the main hurdle was getting myself to understand that the table field itself has to be set to null_value().....a variable cannot be.

The Bal_Names variable is a crlf list of the changing fields that needed to have certain zeroes blanked out. Generating that list was a whole other issue/learning experience.
                      Code:
                      'tbl is a table pointer dimmed in the list generating script mentioned
                      dim ptr_Co_name as c
                      dim comp_num as n 'number of company fields
                      query.order=""
                      query.filter="isnotblank(\"Text\")" 'the field that if it has data then the amount field is to be blanked

tbl.query_create("N")
                      for i=1 to fld_no 'from a separate script that determined how many fields to consider
                        tbl.fetch_first()
                        ptr_Co_name ="tbl."+word(Bal_Names,i,crlf())
                        Comp_num=eval("tbl."+word(Bal_Names,i,crlf()))
                          while .not. tbl.fetch_eof()
                              if Comp_num=0 ' if the amount field has a zero, blank it
                                tbl.change_begin()
                                eval(ptr_Co_name) = NULL_VALUE()
                                tbl.change_end(.t.)
                              end if
                            tbl.fetch_next()
                          end while
                      next
                      tbl.close()
                      It runs fast as there will only be a few thousand records ever so have not spent any time cleaning/optimizing it up really....it works so am not going to break it! :)
                      Last edited by MikeC; 12-31-2009, 02:33 AM.
                      Mike

Comment

You could add a character field to the table, make it a calculated one with an expression; if(field_1<>"".and.field_3=0,"",field_3) and export the table without having to run any scripts in advance.

Comment

G,
                          Thanks for the option.

That definitely was a consideration I had as have done that with other projects.

But considering the table in question is created via first a crosstab and then a join operation, I believe (but could be mistaken) that I would have to script in the additional field as well---which I have also done for past projects but this seemed to be a bit less work overall.

The main thing is that it is working now with basically no speed issues. If there were any, I would for sure try other methods to obtain the fastest way possible. But playtime is over for me tonight and so will leave this and consider it finished! :)
                          Mike

Comment

If it runs fast enough now it will run faster if you wrap the for...next loop in batch statements.

Code:
                            tbl.batch_begin()
                            for i=1 to fld_no 'from a separate script that determined how many fields to consider
                              tbl.fetch_first()
                              ptr_Co_name ="tbl."+word(Bal_Names,i,crlf())
                              Comp_num=eval("tbl."+word(Bal_Names,i,crlf()))
                                while .not. tbl.fetch_eof()
                                    if Comp_num=0 ' if the amount field has a zero, blank it
                                      tbl.change_begin()
                                      eval(ptr_Co_name) = NULL_VALUE()
                                      tbl.change_end(.t.)
                                    end if
                                  tbl.fetch_next()
                                end while
                            next
                            tbl.batch_end()
                            There can be only one.

Comment

Another way to blank out zeroes for selected columns is by using the Format Cells feature. For any column, simply select the entire column and press Format/Cells. Choose "Custom" for the category.

In the prompt for "Type", it will often have a value of "General". Change that to simply a pound sign (#). Then any zeroes in that column should be blanked out.

My 2 Cents,
                              Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X