Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Need help with Network Optimization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with Network Optimization

I have read the help files and many forum messages on this subject and I am still confused. Perhaps I am dense and missed it.

I do not know how the "version number" works with Network Optimization. It seems a simple explanation of what is happening could be added to the help file. But maybe it's not so simple, given that I have spent hours reading and still don't know what the *ell is going on.

Here's my question, as simple as I can ask it:

How do I make sure that the shadow databases (on the workstations) are updated to the latest version of the master database (on the server) when I decide to make a change to said master database?

I know it has something to do with using a "version number" but I don''t know where to put this version number in the master database. When using a shadow copy (user is sitting in front of a workstation and using the Run Engine version of A5), where does A5 look in the master database for this version number. How do I get the version number I want into the proper location so that the shadow copy will find it?

I usually make changes directly on the server using my developer's version of the A5 program. When I make a change to a form on the master database (on the server) I want to make sure that same change is going to show up on the shadow copies of the database (on the workstations).

I have never used Network Optimization before. Instead, I had the workstations sharing the master database. The changes I made were automatic and instant (once the application was closed and then opened again). I'm still confused as to how I can achieve the same results when using Network Optimization.

Can anyone explain what is happening behind the scenes when using A5 Network Optimization? What is happening on the workstations? What is happening on the server? Is the version number only set at the server copy? If so , how? If not, what else is needed by the shadow copy to get the message to update?

Thank you,
    Sean

Re: Need help with Network Optimization

I know it has something to do with using a "version number" but I don''t know where to put this version number in the master database.
    Tools, Network Optimization, Options Tab.

Can anyone explain what is happening behind the scenes when using A5 Network Optimization?
    The database is copied to the local machine with the exception of the tables themselves. Aliases are created for the tables which point to the server tables. This speeds up the loading of any layouts as they don't have to be transferred from the server.

When the shadow user opens the database the local version number, obtained at the last refresh shadow, is compared to the server version number. If they don't match the action needed is supplied by the setting on that same options tab.
    There can be only one.

Comment

Thank you Stan,

I think I see where my confusion comes from. I assumed I did not want to do "Network Optimization" with my master/server copy. I did not know that the same menu item would be used in the master copy. I thought I only wanted to use that menu item when inside a workstation instance.

So, if I am hearing you correctly you are saying to go to the Network Optimization menu item when inside the server instance of my application and set the version number inside there somewhere? That was not clear in the documentation and I never ran across this simple piece of instruction when reading in the forums.

Apparently A5 knows NOT to create a shadow copy when using this menu inside the master/server copy of the application?

Sean

Originally posted by Stan Mathews View Post
      Tools, Network Optimization, Options Tab.

The database is copied to the local machine with the exception of the tables themselves. Aliases are created for the tables which point to the server tables. This speeds up the loading of any layouts as they don't have to be transferred from the server.

When the shadow user opens the database the local version number, obtained at the last refresh shadow, is compared to the server version number. If they don't match the action needed is supplied by the setting on that same options tab.

Comment

The menu choice should probably be Network Optimization rather than Network Optimize. Accessing the menu choice brings you to the dialog I pictured.

In that dialog you can set the version number and specify any non-Alpha files necessary to the application. No activity is performed until you press the Create Shadow Database button.
        There can be only one.

Comment

Geeze, I AM dense.

Just to be clear. Do I have to press the Create Shadow Database button when I am inside my master database, at the server? I thought that was only necessary when at the workstation?

Sean

Originally posted by Stan Mathews View Post
          The menu choice should probably be Network Optimization rather than Network Optimize. Accessing the menu choice brings you to the dialog I pictured.

In that dialog you can set the version number and specify any non-Alpha files necessary to the application. No activity is performed until you press the Create Shadow Database button.

Comment

Do I have to press the Create Shadow Database button when I am inside my master database, at the server? I thought that was only necessary when at the workstation?
            Not unless you want create a shadow database on the server which wouldn't make much sense.

Network optimize creates a shadow database on the selected machine based on the current open database. Refresh shadow updates the shadow from the server database

You should make your desired settings as discussed earlier.

The workstations should open Alpha and access the server database as usual. They should get to the control panel, Tools menu, Network Optimize, Create shadow database. Alpha will create the shadow database, close the server database and open the local database.

If the workstations access the server database via a desktop shortcut, that shortcut should be either deleted or edited to point to the shadow database, or a new shortcut provided for the local shadow database. I wouldn't recommend the latter because they might accidentally open the wrong one.

It is actually much less complicated than it seems. Network optimizing does not change anything on the server. It only creates a new directory, of your choosing, on a local machine. If you create a shadow database and never open it again, Alpha doesn't care. Give it a try as a test.
            There can be only one.

Comment

Thank you Stan, you've been very helpful.

Actually, I have no problem understanding how to create a shadow database. That has always been clear to me. But I am still struggling to understand this narrow topic surrounding the use of a "version number". This has to do with updating the shadow. I know Alpha has figured it out and it is working. I have no doubt that you and others understand it.

Every time I read the instructions I come away confused. I thought I had it there for a moment but then you threw me a curve again mentioning that nothing will happen unless I click the "create" button.

To me, and you seemed to concur, I do not want to click on that button when I am inside the master copy of the database - on the server. But it appears that this is where I actually SET the version number for the master database. If I use the "options" tab and type in a version number in that field and then close the form WITHOUT clicking on the "Create" button will I have "set" the version number for my master database?

This is where it gets cloudy for me. I do not yet understand how to actually set the version number for the master database. I do understand how to create a shadow. I think I understand that I can set the starting version number for this shadow copy. (Although I am wondering if I what I am thinking is correct). But I don't get how to set the version number for the master database.

Here's what I am thinking about how the update should work:

I start with a database I want to use as my "master". I have never set a version number inside of this database since I don't know how to do that.

I then create a "shadow" database on my workstation. I use the "Network Optimize" menu on that workstation and this routine creates my shadow. I now have a shadow copy on the local workstation's hard disk and a master copy on the server. I left the "version number" at "1" when I used the network optimize routine since I don't know any better. I am assuming this means my shadow copy is now set to "version 1".

At this point my master is also at "version 1"? I am not sure. If it is at "version 1" I have no idea how it got that way since I did not do anything while inside that master database to actually "set" it to version 1.

When I go to update the master database I want to make sure I "set" the version number to something higher than version 1. Then, I am assuming, if I am successful, that A5 will somehow "read" the version number inside the master an compare it to what is now inside the shadow - which should still be set to "version 1".

My problem is, I don't know how to get a version number higher than 1 INTO the master database. I can't find where to enter that information when inside the master. I believe the shadow copy will look for this number - I simply do not know how to get the number I want it to find INTO the correct location so that it will be subsequently found.

I can't believe I am droning on and on about this. I am sure it is much simpler than I think. But so far, no one has clearly shown me where to put the version number for the MASTER copy. (Well, actually, I think you have told me but I am still confused. I am doubting whether to use the "Network Optimize" menu when in the master copy. And if it is entered there can I do so WITHOUT clicking on the "Create" button?) Argh!

Sean

Comment

threw me a curve again mentioning that nothing will happen unless I click the "create" button.
                Actually I avoided saying that by saying "No activity is performed ". What I meant by that is that changing the version number doesn't "do" anything or cause anything to happen until the next time a shadow database user opens theirs. You could change the version number as many times as you like during a day and nothing "happens" until the shadow user starts their shadow.

If I use the "options" tab and type in a version number in that field and then close the form WITHOUT clicking on the "Create" button will I have "set" the version number for my master database?
                Yes. You do need to press the SET button on the options tab after the version number has been entered/changed.

I think I understand that I can set the starting version number for this shadow copy.
                No. Or if you can you probably don't want to. After testing I find you can't, which is logical. Further, you can't network optimize from a shadow database (create a shadow of a shadow). The menu choice becomes Refresh Shadow. Since you can't network optimize from a shadow database you can't set its version number.

You set the server database version number.
                You network optimize creating a shadow database with that version number.
                You change the server database startup form for some reason. If that change should be reflected in the shadow databases, you change the server version number. If it doesn't need to be reflected in the shadow databases, leave the version number as is. The first time you do want to have the users see any changes you have made, change the server version number.

Every time each shadow database user opens up, Alpha checks the local version number against the master version number. If they don't agree, the action specified on the server database Network Optimize, Options tab is performed.
                Last edited by Stan Mathews; 02-03-2010, 02:17 PM.
                There can be only one.

Comment

Thank you Stan, once again. That clears it up for me, finally!

I see now that the workstation user creates a shadow copy with the same version number as is, at that time, set in the master copy. When the workstation opens the shadow copy it checks to see if the version number is still the same. If the master version number has been changed it will act according to what is set in the options tab.

What I did not understand until now was how to actually set the version number of the master copy. You have cleared that up for me by reminding me that it is done under the same menu using the options tab.

Apparently this "version number" can be set from any workstation using this menu. If set using the master copy I do not want to click on the "Create" button. But the version number will still be "set" from this menu.

I had not gotten to the point where I can experiment with a new version number yet. I will do that next. I am still setting up the shadow copies on each workstation. Now that I understand how to use the version number I feel better about what I am doing. I had not been using shadow copies until now. I was just opening the same database file with each workstation. That was working fine with only two or three workstations. Now that I am using as many as ten workstations I thought I would try the Network Optimize feature.

Thanks for the help.
                  Sean

Comment

I had not gotten to the point where I can experiment with a new version number yet.
                    Sure you have.

Open the server database from any workstation.
                    Shadow it to the workstation.
                    Open the server database again.
                    Change the version number.
                    Open the shadow database.

Observe the behavior.

When satisifed, remove any references to the server database from the workstation. IOW, you can remove the server database from the mru list, change/delete the shortcut, etc.
                    There can be only one.

Comment

Stan,

I did try this today. I made some changes to my master database and then I went to the Network Optimize menu and incremented the "version number" , clicked on "set", and then closed the server copy of the database.

I went to some of my workstations that have shadow copies and each one gave me a message and began the "refresh" operation upon my clicking on the okay button.

Everything worked great! I now understand how to use the "version number" to manage updates to the shadow copies.

Thanks again for the help.

Sean

Comment

Sean,
                        Hopefully not to add to any remaining confusion, if any, but you can also do this with xbasic it appears on quickly checking the help file....you could use the Version() function to find the current number and then use the second function linked here to increment the other maybe utilizing the increment() function or a home grown increment method.

http://support.alphasoftware.com/alp.../VERSION().htm

http://support.alphasoftware.com/alp...nNumber()_.htm
                        Mike

Comment

Working...
                        X