Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Bulleted lists in Letter Writer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bulleted lists in Letter Writer

Originally posted by rbsystemsdesign View Post
    They have a form set up as menu with a button on it which opens up the A5 Letter Editor. It's essentially similar to using the A5 Control Panel, Letter tab, New, pick a table and Go directly to the letter definition. This opens the A5 Letter Writer which, surprisingly, allows them to write a letter. When they have typed a few sentences they wanted to put in a few bullet points. The key words were "Letter" and "Bullet". It seems some people look too deeply and imagine questions which aren't there. I'll try to be more pedantic next time (if there is one).
    Pedantic indeed since this is perhaps the most unusual most definitely the least desirable way of doing things since you should not allow users access to the control panel or any parts thereof.

Let me see if I could dissuade you from this approach and perhaps suggest that you put an RTF on a form, xdlg or anything else for user's input.

For the purpose of just writing a letter ad hoc, you might as well just open Word from alpha (or use OLE) and write the letter there. There is no sense of writing a letter in alpha's letter editor for one time use or if no field values are to be incorporated.

And yes, I read the thread title, however, the title does explicitly state who is doing the editing in the letter editor. One would assume, the developer not the user.

Comment

If you read the post properly you would see that I said "similar to...". Of course the users don't have access to the Control Panel. Why do you assume they have Word. I only mentioned that doing a bulleted list should be similar to doing it in Word. As it happens they wanted a completely self-contained solution, hence the A5 approach. The thread said "I have a client who wants to be able to put bulleted lists in a letter in A5v9 but can't find a way of doing it.", i.e. the client can't find a way...

Try reading what posts actually say and not what you think they say.

I can't be bothered with any more of this rubbish. It's just a total waste ot my time.

Comment

"Can't find a way" could mean: "I can't find a way" or "the client can't find a way".
        So far, you are correct on one thing and one thing only: This is rubbish.

Unsubscribed!

Comment

So I read this:

"I have a client who wants to be able to put bulleted lists in a letter in A5v9 but can't find a way of doing it. Any ideas?"

"Subject closed (at least by me)."

"End of."

"It seems some people look too deeply and imagine questions which aren't there. I'll try to be more pedantic next time (if there is one)."

"I thought I had already made it clear that the users are typists and aren't going to be doing this sort of thing. Maybe you should read the whole thread instead of going down a new path.
          Try reading what posts actually say and not what you think they say."

"I can't be bothered with any more of this rubbish. It's just a total waste ot my time."
          ====
          The guy asked for "Any ideas" and when he gets them he throws above sentences at them...

Maybe you should work first on "how to deal with people trying to help" before asking open ended questions and not being able to deal with the responses..

Some very respected people at this board have taken the effort to respond to your question.

Get some help on other areas than Alpha and systems design. Especially on human interaction. You need it.

No regards, Ron

Comment

At the risk of further abuse, but for anyone who actually wants to provide a way for their clients to put bulleted lists in letters (or reports) in A5v9, as originally requested:

(please realise that this is what the DEVELOPER does for the client - the client just uses the end result)

Further to my previous post, the instructions in the help file are not quite right.

- In item 3 of the instructions, instead of the "Microsoft Web Browser" control, select "DHTML Edit Control for IE5".

- In item 14 (onFetch code), replace
            Code:
            px.documenthtml = t.HTMLNOTES
            with
            Code:
            px.documenthtml = tbl.HTMLNOTES
            and it works beautifully. Click the edit button (which you have placed by the text field) and it pops up the HTML editor.

(Peter G, your version of this looks great, but I couldn't find an HTML memo field on my version of A5V9.)

I hope this is helpful to someone - I'm certainly going to be using it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonbon View Post
              (Peter G, your version of this looks great, but I couldn't find an HTML memo field on my version of A5V9.)
              BonBon,

It's in there, you just have to scroll down - see attached image.

Peter
              Peter
              AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
              https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Peter,

I must be so nearly there ... I've dragged the HTML field onto the form, but when I go into form view, I don't get an "HTML field icon". The field displays whatever is in it, but it won't let me edit it.

I had a look at "View ... Settings", but couldn't find anything there. Any pointers ?

Comment

... I don't get an "HTML field icon".... Any pointers ?
                  See the attached image. You have to click in the HTML memo field to see the icon. I would prefer that the icon show all the time. There is an xbasic function that will put the icon inside the field, I believe (which you could put in your form's OnInit event).
                  Peter
                  AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

How odd ... I don't get that icon (see attached). Thanks for having a look, and at least I do have a working version, though it's a bit more work.

Comment

How odd ... I don't get that icon (see attached).
                      You only see the icon if you click in the memo field - while in view mode (not edit mode).
                      Peter
                      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

There it is ! Tremendous - many thanks Peter.

Comment

Working...
                        X