Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Getting ComboBox to Find Record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting ComboBox to Find Record

I've tried in both Version 9 and 10:

I'm absolutely embarrassed to say I can't get this to work. It is one of the most basic of things to do with a Combo Box. I've tried everything I can think of, but I am missing something about how this is done.

1.) I create a new project, and one new table (named Testtable) with three fields:
    1 - ID (char indexed)
    2 - Name (char)
    3 - Description (char)

2.) I then put sample data into a few records, being sure the ID field has unique data per record.

3.) I create a new Default Form (named Testform) based on the Testtable with all three fields desplayed about midway down on the form

4.) I place a Combo Box near the top of the form showing Testtable->ID. I set the Choices as Computed Automatically from Current Table, field ID. The valuea show correctly in the drop down list.

5.) Now, I'd like whichever ID I select in the combo Box to control the record shown in the form. What I get instead is that the ID field of the current record is changed to the ID value, but the record does not change to the corresponding record associated with the original record ID field.

What I want to do is so basic that I can't believe I have to learn how to drive this with scripting. Isn't this the most basic use for a drop down selection control?

Please, how do I do this?

Re: Getting ComboBox to Find Record

Jeff,

What you need to do is create a variable to bind the combo box object to, not the id field from the table. You then need to either use the 'OnChange' event of the combo box or a button to find the record you select from the drop-down. By having your combo box bound to the id field is always just going to change the value of the field in the record you are currently viewing.

Here is a quick example.

Make sure you have created a index on the field you want to find by.

Scott

Comment

Thanks Steve.

That's exactly what I was trying to do. I really appreciate your taking the time to send me an example of the correct way to do it. It's simple when you know how.

Being new to Alpha5, I guess I was expecting this lookup to be a little more automated for this type of functioning. But, now I can proceed with a bit more understanding of what Alpha5 is expecting for this, as well as other things I'll want to do.

Thanks again.

Comment

In V10 it is automated and called a super control "Drop Down Browse"

I see a combo box(drop-down) as more of a form object with multiple uses. You will find there is always a way to do what you need with A5.

SCOTT :)

Comment

Thanks again SCOTT:

I sure appreciate the responses from you on the Message Board. Very quick and informative. This has helped me greatly.

Thanks. Jeff

Comment

Hi Scott:

Was looking through the threads looking for info on Combo boxes and found this listing. I have been unsuccessful in using multiple combo boxes on a form to give the user to search and display records. What I have is combo box 1 which is the office name from the office table. The second is the employee name from the employee table. When the user makes the office choice from the first combo box, I want the second combo box to only display the names of employees in the office that was selected in combo box 1. When the user makes that choice the form will display that record. I have used the super control, and have a set but have been unsuccessful. Any info would be great. I have post a simular thread in database design and the info was helpful not exactly what I am looking for. I am a long time
            Access user and now migrating to Alpha Five. I don't seem to be able to open any zipped files from this form. After I unzip them I get a message that the document has not been saved. If there is a better way to accomplish this task that info would be great as well. Thanks for your help!

Comment

If your combo boxes are bound to shared variables defined for the form, then the 2nd combo box you design can use the 1st variable in its filter.
              Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

And then the onchange event of the second can be coded to query the table upon which the form is based, resynch the form to the table, and the desired record should be displayed.
                There can be only one.

Comment

I'm trying to learn alpha step by step but i can't resist asking for a working sample on this, as in my previous questions on this board, Stan mathews helped me quickly with his effort in providing a sample app demonstrating the solution to my question. Again Stan, may i request for a demo of this? Thank you very much in advance!

Comment

Attachment is a copy of the customer table in AlphaSports with a new form named combo.

Download the attachment, extract the files to a new directory, open an Alpha database you have, get to the control panel tables/sets tab, right click and choose Add Table, navigate to where you save/extracted the attachment, add it.

Open the combo form and try the two dropdowns.

You can drop the table after testing and delete the directory you created.

customer.zip
                    There can be only one.

Comment

Working...
                    X