Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Subforms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subforms

Can multiple subforms be added to a main form?
    Sincerely,

Clarence Martin

Re: Subforms

I believe so, as long as you base the main form on a set, and then base the subforms on tables within that set. The same goes for embedded browses.

Comment

You can use subforms on flat tables as well. e.g. Your customer table form could have,say, 3 subforms all based upn customer data.
      Peter
      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
      https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

I have had problems displaying more than one subform. I get a message that it will display the default form for the table that I name - it won't use my designated form, and then is shows only one sub form.
        Sincerely,

Clarence Martin

Comment

Originally posted by chipsm View Post
          I have had problems displaying more than one subform. I get a message that it will display the default form for the table that I name - it won't use my designated form, and then is shows only one sub form.
          I got an error message (bug?) when saving the form, but it did save it. See attached example using a flat table w. a master form holding 3 subforms.
          Peter
          AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Thanks Peter,
            I will check it out. I will also post back any changes that I find.

Clarence
            Sincerely,

Clarence Martin

Comment

Peter,
              On another matter, I have been learning about using the web components and I am really impressed with what I see. I am looking for your personal opinion about weather you prefer creating Desktop vs Web Based applications and why you might choose one over the other.

Clarence
              Sincerely,

Clarence Martin

Comment

Originally posted by chipsm View Post
                ...I am looking for your personal opinion about weather you prefer creating Desktop vs Web Based applications and why you might choose one over the other.
                I'm a desktop guy from way back. So I'm very comfortable in that world. But since v10 has come out, I'm sold on the web. With AJAX, the speed issue has been put to rest. The web side has certain inherent advantages over the desktop, including no need to deal with client software installs and patch updates, nor worry about shadowing and other network issues. It's easier to provide a consistent user interface on the web side due to CSS. Form sizing (small, medium, large) issues no longer are a problem as the user can control that in the browser with <CTRL>+ and <CTRL>-. Grids have built in advantages such as search functionality is easier to implement. Etc. OTOH, building an A5 web site is a challenge and a learning curve. A web app functions completely different than a desktop app. It's more difficult to code (yes, it is "codeless", but...). You will probably need to learn a little HTML & JavaScript to take full advantage of all the features. There's a lot to learn and it can be frustrating at times for sure. Also, security is a much greater concern on the web for obvious reasons than on a local network or intranet. But all things considered, I really love working on the web side much more than the desktop side now that I've gotten into it. If you decide to take the plunge, prepare for temporary setbacks while you work through the learning curve. But in the end, you will probably be glad you did.
                Peter
                AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Thanks for the reply. The comments that you made have a great deal of value.
                  I have a lot more questions that I am having trouble with. I may be trying to put too much thought into my systems (Over thinking things).
                  Please look for any more post that I may have - the value of your advice will be greatly appreciated.

Clarence
                  Sincerely,

Clarence Martin

Comment

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.
                    Sincerely,

Clarence Martin

Comment

Hi Peter:
                      I have been following this post with great interest, thanks for your post. I have a couple of questions reg A5 Web app.
                      1) How do you compare the stability A5 desktop vs A5 Web and error messages?
                      2) I noticed in the help file that many functions/methods are limited to Desktop app only. Is this an indication that there are much less functions and methods for A5 Web than for A5 desktop?

Comment

Gaby,

1) How do you compare the stability A5 desktop vs A5 Web and error messages?

On the desktop, I'm still using v8 not v10. v8 is very stable, I imagine v10 is as well, but haven't used it for that purpose.

2) I noticed in the help file that many functions/methods are limited to Desktop app only. Is this an indication that there are much less functions and methods for A5 Web than for A5 desktop?

The web is harder to work with, even though in v10 they have made it much easier. Any UI functions won't work on the web (including all of xdialog), since the browser controls the UI through certain strict protocols. Certain other Alpha functions are desktop only. I would think though, that the vast array of Alpha functions would, by and large, work on the web.
                        Peter
                        AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Working...
                        X