Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Script disappears!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Script disappears!!

Hello-
    I created a script in my database to do billing and compacted it to post out to my server. When I extract it and try to test it, the script is gone. Not only that, it is not on the development machine I originally created it. Is there some reason why it disappeared? I have to re-write my code over and have implemented recent changes on it that I didn't backup to tape backup.

Thanks-
    Neecy

Re: Script disappears!!

Neecy, sorry to hear about your fix. Slow down and tell us more specifics. Is this a script you had saved to the code page of the alpha Five control panel (a global script), or was it a script you attached to a form or an object in a form?

Compacting the database will not delete scripts from the code page of the control panel.

Likely causes of what you're seeing:

a) you have multiple copies of the database on your machine and you saved the code in one database, and have now inadvertantly opened a different copy of the database; or

b) you neglected to "save" the script after creating it.

-- tom

Comment

What it sounds like is that you extracted from a file that wasn't the right one and/or you extracted the wrong file to the original directory. Just sounds that way from the end result.

Not that it will help this time but I generally export scripts and functions to a text file and import them to the destination database. Doesn't hurt to export them periodically for safekeeping whether you make any changes or not. The text files are fairly small.
      There can be only one.

Comment

Hi Tom-
        I had this script attached to a button. Acutally, I started on this script awhile back and modified it periodically. Occasionally, I save the entire database to our server, but over the past few days, I have been testing and re-testing changes and today, I just finalized everything on my computer. I compacted the database to quickly export out to the production server and clicked to test the process after extracting. Nothing happened. When I went to review my script, it wasn't there. This happened before about 2 weeks ago while in the first stage and I did think I didn't save it, but this time, I did save it.

I am currently pulling the most recent script from backup which was last modified April 30th and trying to build from there again.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
        Neecy

Comment

To save a script that's attached to an event (onPush) for a button requires two saves.

Always.

1) save the script
          2) save the form layout

Tell us how you were planning to "extract" the script from the form layout? Spare no details.

Comment

Please post an image of what your screen shows when you are editing the script.
            Al Buchholz
            Bookwood Systems, LTD
            Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
            Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
            Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
            When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
            "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
            Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Here's the script that was attached to my pushbutton. As you can see, I was calling the script that was saved to run based on the option chosen. When I say the script disappeared, it is no longer in my list of scripts or functions when accesing control panel.

'Date Created: 13-May-2010 10:25:27 AM
              'Last Updated: 13-May-2010 10:59:37 AM
              'Created By : AnissaW
              'Updated By : AnissaW
              ui_modeless_dlg_box("Billing Report",<<%dlg%
              {xmargin=10}
              {ymargin=3}
              <25,2Click to Generate Billing!GenerateBill>
              <25,2Click to Only View Billing!ViewBill>
              <15,2Close!Close>
              %dlg%,<<%code%
              if a_dlg_button="GenerateBill"
              script_play("Billing")
              :Form.View("Billing")
              ui_modeless_dlg_close("Billing Report")
              else if a_dlg_button="ViewBill"
              :Form.View("Billing")
              ui_msg_box("Billing","Most recent generated data is displayed. Click to generate Billing for any new entries to display")
              else if a_dlg_button="Close"
              end if
              %code%)

Comment

That's getting clearer. The script that disappeared is not the script attached to the button after all. It's a global script, named "Billing", that lives (or used to) on the code page of the control panel. It got called (played) by the button's onPush event script. Is this correct?

Comment

Yes. I am currently trying to pull from memory all of my changes I applied that took me days to finalize.

Comment

compacted it to post out to my server
                    Did you check the files on the server to see if you can find the file you saved on the server and verify the date time stamp to make sure you extracted from the correct file? What file did you copy to the server? The global scripts are stored in the database .alb (pointer to script) and .alm (actual script) files.
                    There can be only one.

Comment

Hi Stan-

The database was copied from development to the server. From the server is when I discovered my 'billing' script was gone. I checked my local copy and it wasn't there either. It was present before I compacted it because I saved it, tested it, and then compacted it to make sure not only the script worked, but also other updates worked. It's strange that my 'billing' script continues to disappear when I compact. It's the only script that is removed considering other scripts I just created today are there.

Thanks-
                      Neecy

Comment

Hi Tom/Stan-
                        Just to update, I re-created my script from my copy of 4/30/2010 and searched my memory of all changes I made and included it. I then saved to my local, backup location, and out to the server and tested in production and it works. I still am at lost of why it disappeared both times I compacted it.

Thanks, I have calmed down considerably.
                        Neecy

Comment

Working...
                        X