Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Variable not found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Variable not found

I created a global variable to define the location to save my reports: glodir = "g:\\"
    I'm able to refer to the variable by just using the name �glodir� in the script: base_path = (glodir)

I prefer to use a addin.variables() to define the location to save my reports so I created autoexec script:

Code:
    dim adddir as P
    adddir = addin.variables()
    adddir.varname = "d:\\"
    and tried it with:

Code:
    dim adddir as P
    adddir = "d:\\"
    After executing the script from a form it says: variable "adddir"not found. Either the code I'm using in the autoexec script is wrong or I refer to the addin variable in a wrong way. Maybe even both?

The whole script:
    Code:
    topparent.commit()

if isnotblank("adm_bezwaar->Bz_F_Nr") then
    tbl = table.current()

factuur = alltrim(adm_bezwaar->Bz_F_Nr)
    number = alltrim(tbl.adm_nr)
    client = alltrim(tbl.clientname)

'global variable works
    'base_path = (glodir)

'addin variable doesn't work
    base_path = (adddir)
    dir_name = number+" "+client
    dir_create_recurse(base_path+dir_name)

Parameter1 = eval("Bz_f_nr.value")
    filter = "F_nr = [varC->parameter1]"
    query.filter = replace_parameters(filter,local_variables())
    query.order = ""

sav_nam = base_path+dir_name+"\\"+"factuur"+SPACE(1) +factuur+ ".pdf"
    report.saveas("facturen algemeen", "PDF", query.filter, "",sav_nam)

sys_print(sav_nam)

end if

Re: Variable not found

I don't have first hand experience with addin.variables().

However, don't you want to set the scope of the adddir var to global to be able to see it outside the autoexec?

Comment

My reading of the documentation says

Code:
      dim adddir as P
      is correct followed later by

Code:
      base_path = adddir.varname
      There can be only one.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. It's working. In the script executed from the form I added :

base_path = (adddir.varname)

Many thanks!
        Last edited by werder101010; 05-22-2010, 10:50 AM.

Comment

I've used addin varaibles extensively.

To clarify what is happening:

Code:
          dim adddir as P
          The above code defines a pointer "adddir" to the addin variable space. As yet, there is no specific variable defined in that space.

When you defined

Code:
          you set the variable "varname" in the addin variable space to be "d:\".

Remember, the label "adddir" is just a pointer to the space.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Comment

Hi Tom H.,

Originally posted by Tom Henkel View Post
            I've used addin varaibles extensively.

To clarify what is happening:

Code:
            dim adddir as P
            The above code defines a pointer "adddir" to the addin variable space. As yet, there is no specific variable defined in that space.

When you defined

Code:
            you set the variable "varname" in the addin variable space to be "d:\".

Remember, the label "adddir" is just a pointer to the space.
            This is not quite correct. The
            dim adddir as P
            is creating a local pointer to the addin variable space. That local pointer only exists while the current script or function is running. After that code finishes, the local variable goes away. That is why it is not available elsewhere.

However, after the pointer is created in the code, he assigns a variable
            This creates a variable property called varname in the addin variable space. That property will still remain in the addin space, even after adddir pointer variable goes away. The addin space didn't go away, just the pointer to it.

All you need to do is later recreate another variable whenever you need it, as in
            addin_space_ptr=addin.variables()
            and reference the needed properties as in
            x=addin_space_ptr.varname
            Alternatively, one could have created a global pointer, and then the global pointer could be used, but global variables (which persist until the database application closes) and addin variables (which persist across all databases that are opened until Alpha Five closes) should only ideally be used for parameters that need to be referenced in many locations, eg. color styles, directory locations, etc.

I suggest reading my tips on variable scoping here
            Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
            Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
            New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
            CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
            CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Ahhh. Post #2 is confirmed.