Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Index Builder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Index Builder

Hi All,

I have the Index problem. The Indexes are gone now from one of database tables on Today. Sometime the Index are erased by it self without warning. I did not change or erase this indexes and I named it as 10 digit or less.

What is the reason for this happening on my db?

Index Builder.jpg

Re: Index Builder

John,
    You've stated before that your indexes sometimes disappear when you compact the database. This is a very unusual occurrence for most users. It will be impossible to give you a definitive answer. You may be programming something differently than anyone else.

The only cause I have heard of Alpha deleting an index is that Alpha cannot resolve the index expression or filter.
    There can be only one.

Comment

Thank you

Comment

What PC config are you running on John and where is the Data and where is the Dev Version?
        Did you mean ten DIGITs or ten CHARACTERs?
        Can you post a screenshot of a working Idx screen please?
        See our Hybrid Option here;
        https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
        You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Hi Ted,

Dell Dimension, WindowXp and 4GB Ram, My Program and Data is on C:\ .... drive, the Develop Program is c:\Program files\A5v9.
          I mean 10 or less characters.
          Index_2.jpg

Comment

First 7 char are the same. Rename one and try again. Old problem I've not come across for a while!

Comment

Ted,

I changed the Index Name, Both Index. Let see what happen later.
              Thank you

Comment

John,

Just last week I had the same issue with one of my clients.
                Needed to rebuild all indexes as they had disappeared.
                The reason was that the disk on the server was full.
                There is a tool (I believe can be found in the archive) that you can use to have the indexes recreated.
                Jo Hulsen
                Dommel Valley Solutions
                The Netherlands

Comment

Originally posted by DVSOL005 View Post
                  John,
                  The reason was that the disk on the server was full.
                  I didn't think this happened any more.

Are you responsible for maintaining the Server Jo?
                  If you are then I respectfully suggest you install some Disk Usage software.

If not, I suggest you charge the Client mightily for lack of attention to detail.

I have apps on large Virtual disk arrays which are constantly being monitored and Load Balanced so I'm somewhat removed from this sort of problem.

Comment

Ted,
                    It's a Small Business environment with a low budget solution, something like 6 to 8 users. They use an XP PC as server and only a month or so ago I managed to convince them to make it a dedicated server for the A5 application I have developed. Before they used Word, Excel and Access and now they are getting themselves organized with the aid of this A5 application.
                    Somebody else is responsible for the server and we are working together to apply an appropriate solution.
                    One of them is an A5 function that I have just a few days ago tested. This function checks available space and when a certain threshold is reached a warning is to be sent to the one responsible for the server. I can also set a lower limit in which the startup of the application can be put on hold until space is made available.

Anyway my previous post was to indicate to John a certain condition under which the indexes could be lost.
                    Nevertheless your comments and suggestions are appriciated.

Regards,
                    Jo Hulsen
                    Dommel Valley Solutions
                    The Netherlands

Comment

Glad you didn't take offence Jo, as none was intended.
                      Is it possible to have dynamic allocation of space in predefined blocks?

Comment

Jo,

I think I have enough disk space to use as server computer within the Window Work group network.
                        I think there is something else to cause this problem. I realized and found this erase Index problem a few years ago so I try not to use any the code related with Index.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Giles View Post
                          Is it possible to have dynamic allocation of space in predefined blocks?
                          As far as I know there's no provision for dynamic space allocation.
                          It's 200 GB disk with a C: and D: drive.
                          Jo Hulsen
                          Dommel Valley Solutions
                          The Netherlands

Comment

Originally posted by johnkoh View Post
                            Jo,

I think I have enough disk space to use as server computer within the Window Work group network.
                            I think there is something else to cause this problem. I realized and found this erase Index problem a few years ago so I try not to use any the code related with Index.
                            Ok John,

It's merely another possibility I threw in from a recent experience.

Regards,
                            Jo Hulsen
                            Dommel Valley Solutions
                            The Netherlands

Comment

Working...
                            X