Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Week to view diary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Week to view diary

Hi all.

I'm attempting to create a weekly, day-by-day view of my JOBS file. This sits in an application for an auto-repairer, and represents vehicles booked in for work, for any given week - a kind of basic scheduler / daily jobs record.

My first task was to create the view attached, with 7 browses each showing one day's worth of jobs from the JOBS file.

I achieved this by putting together a set. The primary for the set was my REGISTRATION file (one record only - holds basic licensing data) to which I added 7 hidden date fields (Date 1, Date 2 etc.). The set then features 7 child-table 1-to-Many links - each based on linking the JOBS->Date (child) field to one of the Registration->Dates(1-7) (parent) fields.

Success - I have created my basic layout, and have proved that each browse can display job data for a given day.

My problem now is that I want to display further detail from any given JOBS record (e.g. task details, vehicle make/model/reg no, customer name etc.) in the area below the browses, when the user selects a record from any one of the 7 browses by clicking on it.

I've experimented with conditional sub-forms, and/or using variables which are updated / refreshed as the user clicks a browse .... but basically I'm stuck.

I'm not sure which event to use to kick off the process of fetching the record data and populating the detail area, or which of the above methods (or another) to use.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated as always.

Thanks in advance, Jem

JobsDiary1.PNG

Re: Week to view diary

One suggestion Jem.
    I take it that the detail in the table behind the browse includes details of the vehicle/owner etc.
    If you add the identifier to the Browse but minimise it, OnDblClick, you can fire a Modal Form with the specific information displayed, using the "hidden" linking key.
    See attached for option 2. Not so pretty but it does the job I think.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Ted Giles; 10-13-2011, 10:55 AM.
    See our Hybrid Option here;
    https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
    You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Hi Ted,

Thanks - I'll try putting the JobNo (like your ID) in the browse so it automatically refreshes on change ... and I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers Jem

Comment

Hi Ted / all,

I promised an update on my quest for a week-to-view diary, and here it is ...

JobsDiary2.PNG

I used a set with 8 child links to a single record 'registration' file to enable the contents of the job file to be displayed for each day of the week plus outstanding records, plus an expansion of the details for each job, shown at the bottom of the screen.

Functionality includes ....

- Single click on a job title refreshes the bottom-panel display.
        - Double click opens a job-edit form
        - The user can click above a daily browse to add a new job with that day's date
        - A list of outstanding jobs (those not set as complete, and dated before today's date) can be shown
        - At various points, the user can select a button to print out a job-sheet (report)
        - The user can quickly jump ahead or back one week (arrows), or return to the current week

If anyone sees this as useful, I'm happy to share the 'how' with the gang - it would be good to put something back in to the Alpha community, in addition to asking numerous questions (daft and otherwise !).

Regards to all, Jem

Comment

Nice Job Jem
          I saw your first post on this and pictured other ways to handle it but found none as simple and automatic as your 7 date technique.
          Not having tried yours to assess how it feels I cant comment further - I'm willing if you want.
          I notice however that it doesn't seem to discriminate which of the highlighted jobs are reflecting in the details edit box. Maybe a conditional colour would help.
          Where does a new job get booked - edit a new line item in a column?

Comment

Hi Ray,

Yup - it would be great to get someone to test-drive it. I'll drop some un-necessary stuff out and send you the diary bits.

My app features a separate, additional Edit screen which is a more standard list / edit arrangement, and which shows all records in reverse date order. .... but on the 7 day view the user can click the little square box above any given date, to open a form to enter a new record which is automatically dated.

Speak soon, Regards Jem

Comment

Excellent Jem.
              Can have a butchers and test drive when you are ready?

Comment

But of course ... and all feedback for improvement is welcome - provided you're gentle with me :)

... also just noticed that you're from Louth ... my old stomping ground, having had relatives in Mareham-Le-Fen ....

Speak soon, regards, Jem

Comment

Just outside Louth, in Fotherby actually.
                  Been here 10 years, and moved up from Bucks when I sold my consultancy business.
                  The only thing is that - thankfully - it's like going back in time, when people had time to chat and be friendly.
                  Drives people mad when you stop and natter on the crossing in Mercer Row

Comment

Hi Ted, Ray, all .....

The attached zip is (hopefully) all you need to understand how my week-to-view diary works.

On restore, the database will load with an autoexec'd Main Menu (part of a much larger app. designed for everything an indepent garage / repair shop would need).

To take a look under the bonnet (sic), hit CTRL-ENTER and provide the password ..... 'panel on' - this will open the Control Panel and show the Window bar.

This is very much under-development, so the cosmetics are pretty basic and there are no help notes yet. However, following the simple trails from the main diary screen should take you where you need to go. In particular, the structure of the set "Job_Diary_Set" will show you how I've linked two files (Registration <-> Job) in a number of different ways to get what I need.

Frontline[71].zip

Feel free to use the techniques etc. in your own apps - it would be great if you would drop me a line if this is the case, and in particular let me know if you see any opportunities for further developments and improvements.

Regards Jem

Comment

Appointments for 12/13/14 don't show, but are there Jem.
                      Watch the Restore button. You may need to put some form of tracking on this as you can lose a whole bunch of data. Yoy might want to know why a restore was required. This could be a Housekeeping feature with a pwd to access it.
                      Not delved too deep as yet, but have you put any form of Audit on the Changes/Deletes?
                      It provides a history of events in a txt file, and an element of "self preservation" when old sausage fingers - sorry, valued customer - hits the delete button. (Did I really say that?)

Wait until you get on to the Stock control side with Onhand/Committed/Available/Reorder Qty etc.
                      Ahh! Happy days!

Sorry, one last thing. Do you plan to have a Logical View of the components in the application Jem?
                      By that I mean a schematic to prevent you going mad and raking over old ground. I use Visio, and Visual Paradigm Community Version which is FREE and very useful.
                      So is TOAD for data modellers.

Comment

And another thing!
                        I have a M/cycle shop app which links to the manuals for servicing as well Jem.
                        Easily done using a URL link in a list of fields.

Comment

Hi Jem
                          I had a run through
                          It looks, so far, very professional. At this stage it only
                          - keeps track of customers and vehcles
                          - Calendar of jobs booked
                          - Print Jobcard (mecahnics job sheet)

It ends with the Job Complete button?
                          From there it will be manual off the handwritten job sheet?

Are you still going to include;-
                          - stock control, parts ordering and purchases for jobs
                          - Costing of time and materials
                          - Estimating
                          - Invoicing

Other stuff like job history, mileage tracking - email reminders of next service also comes to mind.

Maybe I could add some things and get update back to you?

Comment

Once you start developing, its a bit like painting a portrait.
                            How do you know when you've finished!
                            There's an old IBM saying that they used to drop into conversations;
                            "Don't try and teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig"
                            I suspect they meant that it was not a good idea to tell people what they ought to have as opposed to what they actually asked for.
                            Personally I prefer the approach that I've probably seen more than they have so for me, prototyping and working with clients is the way fwd.
                            (Arrogance is one of my better features)

Comment

Thanks ! Ted and Ray ... I learn something every day when I get on the Alpha Forum (including humor!)
                              Great Sense of Humor Ted!

Jim
                              Truth between candid minds can never do harm. Thomas Jefferson
                              The more I study nature, the more I stand amazed at the work of the Creator. Louis Pasteur

Comment

Working...
                              X