Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Reports of two databases are getting combined

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reports of two databases are getting combined

One last time before I give up, is there any possible way to have the reports reside seperate from the .dbf? By seperate I mean an .adb on a usb using a .dbf on a run-time computer. For now I am copying the files off of the desktop to the usb and making the print outs from the reports I do not want to be mingled with the reports in the run-time. I run the .a5pkg files each time I want to generate reports. I struggle a little with any data errors I run across while producing the reports. I have to go back to the desktop computer and duplicate the changes I made correcting those errors. I have looked over the SQL information, and have thought that might be a solution later on.

Comment

One last time before I give up, is there any possible way to have the reports reside seperate from the .dbf?
      No. The reports are stored in the support files as indicated in my prior link. That's just the way Alpha does it.

If you shadow the runtime to a machine and run the shadow it will not see any changes you make to reports or other layouts on the server until the shadow is updated. IOW, shadowing transfers the support files to the machine running the shadow copy. I believe you could create a shadow on a usb drive but I've never tried it.
      There can be only one.

Comment

Runtime has no reports. developer has no reports

If you are using shadowed tables, the reports would be held in the supporting files for dbf's and sets. refreshing the shadow would clear any current reports and copy the ones in the data.

The adb does not hold reports either. Reports, forms, etc are held in the supporting files of the dbfs and sets.

If you see duplicate reports in the reports tab, may I suggest to open the report and find out what dbf or set it is attached to? You may find the report is still attached to the database in another folder somewhere.

Let us know back

Sorry Stan. I type slowly.
        Dave Mason
        [email protected]
        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Originally posted by Grummert10 View Post
          One last time before I give up, is there any possible way to have the reports reside seperate from the .dbf? By seperate I mean an .adb on a usb using a .dbf on a run-time computer. For now I am copying the files off of the desktop to the usb and making the print outs from the reports I do not want to be mingled with the reports in the run-time. I run the .a5pkg files each time I want to generate reports. I struggle a little with any data errors I run across while producing the reports. I have to go back to the desktop computer and duplicate the changes I made correcting those errors. I have looked over the SQL information, and have thought that might be a solution later on.
          Use sets to store the reports.

If you want to have different groupings of reports for the same table, then build set1, set2, set3.... and put the reports that you want in each set.

Then add the sets to the database that you want the reports to be in.
          Al Buchholz
          Bookwood Systems, LTD
          Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
          Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
          Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
          When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
          "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
          Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

And as Al usually reminds me, which I can't seem to remember, is that a set doesn't have to have any child tables...........
            There can be only one.

Comment

A way to group reports using 1 table sets???? How do you guys think this stuff up!
              Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

Originally posted by MoGrace View Post
                A way to group reports using 1 table sets???? How do you guys think this stuff up!
                We are just wild and crazy guys!
                Al Buchholz
                Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
                Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                Albert Einstein

Comment

I like this idea. I just need to wrap my mind around this. The shadow also sounds interesting, but I do think the refresh would end it. Then if I drop the set, the reports go with it?????

Comment

I like this idea. I just need to wrap my mind around this. The shadow also sounds interesting, but I do think the refresh would end it. Then if I drop the set, the reports go with it?????
                    Yes the reports for that set are gone (not shown on the report tab) if you drop the set. (but not delete the set...)

(But don't tell anyone that you can still use the reports from the set if you fully qualify the report name - ie <reportname>@<setname.set> - without the <> and with your names

:report.preview("<reportname>@<setname.set>",query.filter,query.order)

Which is rather stealthy...
                    Al Buchholz
                    Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
                    Albert Einstein

Comment

The new set remains on the usb, and the reports which I copy to the new set remain on the usb and do not appear with the reports where the original dbf files are. All I have to do is make new sets for the dbfs or sets which the have the reports I wish to keep separate. I have another thread where I wondered about aliases. I was trying to make this process portable. Thank you everyone. For yellow82 I hope you were or are able to stop your duplication.

Comment

The sets based on the dbf on the runtime computer, but stored on the usb work. The reports I do not want on the run time computer are stored with the set on the usb. The new set is created in the adb with the all of the network connections to the runtime computer. The reports do not mingle. As long as the links in the set on the usb match the links on of the sets on runtime computer is runs perfectly. No mingled reports, no hesitation, no file sharing errors. If the links are not the same I received errors on sharing. Now I want the alias to work for the non alpha five files.

Comment

This does work, do you know how to aliases?

Comment

This does work, do you know how to aliases?
                            Are we starting another thread?

What do you want to do with the non Alpha Five files?
                            Al Buchholz
                            Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
                            Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                            X