Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

How To Create Tables in MySQL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How To Create Tables in MySQL

Guys, I'm sure this is probably explained a dozen times already but no matter how hard i search for it, I cant find instructions on how to create tables in a MySQL database.
    I would like to create a desktop App with a MySQL database, After a great many attempt's to connect to a database server, (which I thought was installed with A5). I finally downloaded and installed MySQL Workbench. Now I can connect to a database server, but what next, I'm lost, I see where I can create my tables in MySQL Workbench, but since the extent on my knowledge in database creation is in A5 with DBFs, I'm lost there.

Can someone please point me to where I can find an easy enough to understand tutorial on how to create an A5 app with a MySQL database please.

Re: How To Create Tables in MySQL

It is easier with https://www.webyog.com/product/sqlyog or http://www.navicat.com/products/navicat-for-mysql

There are others

added: A thread that may help
    http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...TOAD-for-MySQL

I like sqlyog personally, but each to their own.
    Last edited by DaveM; 05-05-2013, 10:43 PM.
    Dave Mason
    [email protected]
    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

I don't know how much knowledge you have about sql, so I will explain just a bit.

make a database and then you make tables in it. connection fields need to be numeric(key) and you can have foreign keys also. character is usually varchar. You don't have some of the limitaions that dbf has. Then again there are some in other ways. You can make indexes and you can do table connections in the database(if you need). I won't go any further right now.
      Dave Mason
      [email protected]
      Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Thanks for the response Dave.
        So tell me if i get u correctly please, MySQL tables aren't created from with A5, they have to be created in the SQL database some other way, then you connect the A5 app to them. Is hat correct?

Comment

Nigel,

I don't use sql with alpha, but I do with a couple other software apps, but to the best of my knowledge alpha does not make sql tables directly. I think you can use the upsize genie to make a copy of your dbf tables into sql tables. I think it is an extra charge for the genie(not sure). I never used it.

Some others have built in abilitiese to make/modify sql databases, but most are not easy to use as the ones I mentioned(at least to me).

Some others will probably chime in here and help you much further than just what I could help with.

Remember, you can make a lot of things automatic in the database or you can rely on the program to do that. sometimes one is better and sometimes the other.

If I were going to make a desktop database, I would rather have SQLite. It is easily placed on any computer, but don't think alpha works well with it. Not sure.
          Dave Mason
          [email protected]
          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Nigel,

If you prefer, create your tables in Alpha, then export* them to MySQL. But creating a table in MySQL Workbench is basically just like creating a table in Alpha

*Not sure v9 has export capability?
            Peter
            AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
            https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Hi guys, I really wanna upgrade to MySQL, but I just feel so overwhelmed by it. I followed Dave's advice, but I just decided to settle with DBF until s someone, (hopefully A5) create MySQL for dummies.
              One of the things that initially threw me off in Workbench was the type of fields that you can create: Int, Long Int, etc. terms I'm not familiar with, being as I'm "A5" born and bread. This was also the case in the other SQL apps as well. Is there a grid that tells what's the SQL field type equivalent of a DBF field?

Comment

Nigel,

This might help:
                http://sql.dzone.com/news/making-you...l-tables-more-
                or
                http://help.scibit.com/mascon/mascon...eld_Types.html
                Dave Mason
                [email protected]
                Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Thanks Dave, That 1st link I think will take me VERY far. Will post an update after I've had a chance to try it out.

Comment

So I ended up installing Toad for MySQL, because its free, and for over 24 hours I've been back and forth between it and Workbench trying to figure out how to start the server, my gosh, why is this so frustrating.
                    I assume since the server needs to be started, there would be a button labeled "Start" in both softwares, but I can't find any such. I've googled and youtube without success. I did find a screenshot on the Workbench site that clearly displays a start server button, but it seems they forgot to put it in my copy of the software.

MySQL is a total nightmare for me.

Comment

If you successfully installed MySQL, it's probably always running. Check Task Manager/Processes and see if it is there.
                      Peter
                      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Lol! Now I get it. I could install all the database utility tools i want, I now have; Workbench, Toad and EMS SQL Manager (which is my favorite so far because of how it looks). But I didn't t install the MySQL Server.

Now that thats passed, ii have to figure out what all the multitude of options are:

EMS Field Types.jpgEMS Row Format.jpg

Comment

Hey guys! I have now created my 1st MySQL table, Woppee!!, I used the demo version of "SQL Manager for MySQL".
                          Now I'm trying to link the database to my app. I'm seeing the option to create "Active-Link Tables", which says it will read and write data to and from the MySQL database, is this the correct option to use? I asked this because I've always thought that when A MySQL is used, it is connected directly to the app and there would be no DBF tables involved. And I saw somewhere in this forum before that when switching from DBF to MySQL, you have to get used to the idea of not having your tables directly connected to your forms. But I can't find any other options of joining the MySQL and my app.

What I need is the fastest method of writing and reading data in the MySQL.
                          Is the "Active-Link Tables" the Only or best option to use?

Comment

Nigel,

I am not sure of the solution for this. From what I have been told( I have not tried it), sql is almost always slower than dbf connections.

Hopefully others will chime in.
                            Dave Mason
                            [email protected]
                            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Dave is right. DBF is faster on the desktop - at least in A5, although if you go the xdialog route maybe SQL is faster? Active link tables aren't very fast, although they are manageable.

You have 3 options, I think:

1. Active link tables
                              2. xdialog - code everything yourself
                              3. WCD - web components on the desktop

I guess the real question is - why do want to go MySQL?
                              Peter
                              AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X