Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Splitting field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Splitting field

Hello all,

I have a field whic continas the following:
    A123B2332C43335D12E13F1234G84855H1234I8764J123456K123L1276M

I want to get the numeric portions if the sting into 12 differnt fields. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Bill
    Bill Griffin
    Parkell, Inc

RE: Splitting field

Hello Bill,

This really shouldn't be much of a problem, Alpha 5 has many built in functions that you can use to parse out data fields like this, HOWEVER,

are all the fields identical in terms of structure, ie: do they contain the same number of alpha characters before the numerical characters, etc. If this is the case it will be easy, if not,......... it still shouldn't be to hard as long as the alpha characters always seperate the numerical characters.

Jim

Comment

There is one alpha character than a group of numeric characters (unknown length, than another alpha character, another group of numerics. The alpha characters are never the same. This data is coming from an old unix system where they used the alpha characters as separtors for each month a==jan b= feb etc.
      Bill Griffin
      Parkell, Inc

Comment

I take it you want to break at the beginning of each aplha character?

kenn
        TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Yes, Each alpha character would be discared leaving only the numeric portions
          Bill Griffin
          Parkell, Inc

Comment

Bill, here's a wild and crazy idea. Success depends entirely on verifying that the source data's structure is fixed, and assumes that the alpha separator is itself only one char wide.

How about converting this into comma delimited text?

Strip the leading alpha char.
            Strip the trailing alpha char.
            Examine each char in the string and if its ascii value falls in the alpha char range, convert the alpha char to a comma.

Then import the darn thing.

The receiving file should be structured to receive numeric data... not char strings.

-- tom

Comment

Hello Bill,

Attached is a short script that does what you want. I don't know any of the names for your table, fields, etc and if you want to run this selectively or step through an entire table at once, but the attached script should get you going. It is run off a form called 'Parse' with a field named 'Field_2' that contains your sample data. This script just parses a single instance of your data and displays it in a dialog box.

Good luck,

Jim

Comment

Bill,

I failed to mention in my last reply to you that I arbitrarily choose a value of 30 for the array that contains the parsed data. Again without knowing more about your data I don't know if this is sufficient. You could easily parse through the data to determine before hand how big the array needs to be, but for a simple defined script it is quicker and functional to 'waste' a little memory.

Jim

Comment

Thanks Jim. I'll give it a shot and let you know how I make out.

Thanks again.
                  Bill Griffin
                  Parkell, Inc

Comment

Jim,
                    A couple of questions concerning the script.

First the script works great. I would like to modify it to not display the results n the dialog box (can I just remove the line ui_get_list_array("Parsed Field",1,"vholding")) and be able to pull each of the elements of the array to display on a form.

Thanks for your help
                    Bill
                    Bill Griffin
                    Parkell, Inc

Comment

Hi Bill,

>>(can I just remove the line ui_get_list_array("Parsed Field",1,"vholding")) and be able to pull each of the elements of the array to display on a form.

Comment

Jim,

I Dimmed vholding as a shared variable and have access to it from the form, but am having a hell of a time finding doumentation on displaying the individual elements. Can you once again point me in the right direction.

Thanks
                        Bill
                        Bill Griffin
                        Parkell, Inc

Comment

Hello Bill,

I don't know what you are trying to do with the data. You say 'display it'. Where are you trying to display it? Lets say you have placed a character variable on your form. I'll call it vField1. At the end of the routine if you wanted to display the first array element in this variable you'd do something like this:

parentform:vField1.text = vholding[1]
                          parentform:vField1.refresh()

Now you should see the first array element value displayed on the form.

Jim

Comment

Jim,

Thanks for all of your help. Everything is working great.

Bill
                            Bill Griffin
                            Parkell, Inc

Comment

Working...
                            X