Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Corrupt Memo fields again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corrupt Memo fields again

I have tried the duplicate and append that has worked before but with no success- I keep getting corrupt arena messages. I tried the divide and conquer trick while appending but found that there are too many errors to be practicle to fix this way. I tried Mel's script but get unexpected character error's on numerous lines of the code. I tried importing the table as a corrupt Dbase table to find memo fields data being replaced with the actual memo address. I tried viewing the .dbf file with word pad to search for obvious problems.

Help?????

I am about to give up on memo fields altogether. The only way to catch these problems before it is too late is to keep packing the table and checking to see if the .ftp file is growing. NOT a good solution in my mind - you still have to find the problem.

I also would like to know if there are any A5 V4 consultants in our area - Portland, ME. Our business requires more of my efforts in other areas and I need someone to maintain and upgrade my rather large application.

RE: Corrupt Memo fields again

Jeffrey:

I don't understand it. Some people have all kinds of problems with memo fields and others never do. I'm in the latter category which is certainly dumb luck as I don't know why I never have problems.

I must say, my application does not have to withstand furious, multiuser data entry into its memo fields.

For both of your issues (memo fields and consultants) it might help if you told us what type of application you have and how you use memo fields.

Bill
    Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

Jeffery,

My only experience of swollen memo tables is when the .dbf has been separated from the associated .fpt files. This can happen when moving files around. Is this happening with you.

Michael

Comment

Hello Jeff,

>>I am about to give up on memo fields altogether.

Comment

If I move files they all go together as I keep all files for an application in one directory. I suspect that my problem is the same as Dr. Waynes. I have the possibility of 6 user working putting information into the system at the same time. I have tried to limit the users that have access to the parent table-which is a table with three memo fields. This parent is the one with the most problems.

Comment

We are a water treatment company and I have designed the database to handle - lead and customer information, activity information- for lead tracking, proposal writing, test result information and service order writing and follow-up. We have version 4.5 and 4.5 runtime for the work stations. The application consists of a parent and child tables. The parent is linked 1 to many in a tab form that I created before alpha 5 had it available. It is really one large form that clicking on a tab force the focus to another part of the form that has the same tabs only with the new view making the tab appear on top. I have repeated the tabs 5 times down the form so scrolling down would give you the same view. I use 3 memo's in the parent which is really a lead information sheet. The children are things like a proposal table for the lead(memo field used for the desription) , activities table(memos again), test result table from our lab, test results from outside lab, and a service order table(memos again for requests and resolutions). This allows a user to have access through one form for all the information on a customer. The memo fields I have trouble with are those in the parent and sometimes those in the activities table. I can't recall having a problem with those in the proposal table and service order table. Obviously the parent has the most accessing at one time and the next most accessed is the activities. The activities is where all contact - phone, letter, fax etc. is kept. I am thinking of using Dr. Waynes approach on the activities to prevent entry diretly into the browse table. This may solve this problem and I am thinking about creating a separate child table is one to one linking for the memos in the parent. This would maintain the integrety of the parent data and probably help with the memo - at least I won't lose all of the memos on corruption.

Comment

We are a water treatment company and I have designed the database to handle - lead and customer information, activity information- for lead tracking, proposal writing, test result information and service order writing and follow-up. We have version 4.5 and 4.5 runtime for the work stations. The application consists of a parent and child tables. The parent is linked 1 to many in a tab form that I created before alpha 5 had it available. It is really one large form that clicking on a tab force the focus to another part of the form that has the same tabs only with the new view making the tab appear on top. I have repeated the tabs 5 times down the form so scrolling down would give you the same view. I use 3 memo's in the parent which is really a lead information sheet. The children are things like a proposal table for the lead(memo field used for the desription) , activities table(memos again), test result table from our lab, test results from outside lab, and a service order table(memos again for requests and resolutions). This allows a user to have access through one form for all the information on a customer. The memo fields I have trouble with are those in the parent and sometimes those in the activities table. I can't recall having a problem with those in the proposal table and service order table. Obviously the parent has the most accessing at one time and the next most accessed is the activities. The activities is where all contact - phone, letter, fax etc. is kept. I am thinking of using Dr. Waynes approach on the activities to prevent entry diretly into the browse table. This may solve this problem and I am thinking about creating a separate child table is one to one linking for the memos in the parent. This would maintain the integrety of the parent data and probably help with the memo - at least I won't lose all of the memos on corruption.

Comment

Jeffrey,

Your idea of offloading the parent table memos to a child table, linked one to one, makes sense.

I have to say though that your description of the layout itself is unique. If you really do have the same tabbed subform included in your form's layout at five different places, you might want to rework the design to simplify things. In fact, it's often a good idea, especially in a multi-user setting, to avoid trying to do data entry into forms based on complex sets. Are you familiar with Dr. Wayne's article on 'Simplifying Your Applications"... at www.learn alpha.com ?

-- tom

Comment

Are you saying that you have the same memo field in multiple objects on the same form? If so, I would simplify by using a button or other control to shift focus to a single instance of the memo field.

Bill
                  Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

Yes I do. This is being changed as we speak. As a matter of fact, I am putting the memo's in a seperate table and then accessing them using a set.

Comment

It is one form and the fields are all unique at each section of the form. The form only looks like a tabbed form. When you click on a tab the focus moves to the part of the form with the information you want. The tabs are really only buttons that scroll the form up and down. The window is sized so you only see the part of the form you want. The only repeated information on the form are the buttons that look like tabs.

Comment

Working...
                      X