Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Date field Refresh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Date field Refresh

Hi all

I have 3 fields called 'quote_deposit'-'q_deposit_date'and
    'q_deposit_method' the 1st and 3rd are Char fields while the
    2nd is in date format.

What I am trying to do is for the date and method fields to
    blank out if the 1st field is blank and if not blank then the date field fills with default date at end of enter + user can enter method (via 3 tick boxes).
    I have set date field to default to 'date()' on the condition 'isnotblank(quote_deposit) at end of data entry.
    This all works fine the first time around but when I want
    to go back and delete the value in 'quote_deposit' so then
    date and method fields should blank the date field wont as it is date format.

Plus if I later enter a new value in 'quote_deposit' the date default does not come up.

Any ideas would be much appreciated, I listed the script below used on 'quote_deposit' (ondepart)

tbl = table.current()
    if tbl.quote_deposit.is_blank() then
    tbl.q_deposit_date.blank_put()
    tbl.q_deposit_method.blank_put()
    end if
    q_deposit_date.refresh()
    q_deposit_method.refresh()

Many thanks for any help
    Mike Lyon

RE: Date field Refresh

I made a sample database to try to test an idea I have. The 3 fields I made are...

1-Deposit
    2-Date
    3-Method

You're saying if field 1 is blank, you also want field 2 and 3 to blank out too. Essentially, unless you have other fields in you table, then you want to add a blank record. I tried to do that and Alpha won't allow that.

Do you have other fields in the table?

I'll see what I might come up with provided the table has other fields that aren't blank.

Mike
    Thank you,
    Mike Konoff

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

I dont want a blank record as such just fields 2 and 3
      to be reset to 0 (empty ie blank).

The basis for this is so only fields 2 and 3 are used or
      available when field 1 has been filled.

N.B. Without a deposit value there is no point in a date or
      method.

I hopr this explains it a bit better

Mike

Comment

Mike, dates are special cases. The display of an empty date field can be tricky, since the default format often includes the slash marks. I am assuming from our message that you are trying to suppress the slash marks when the date field value is empty.

If this is your goal, you might want to restructure your table.

Instead of using a date field, you could use a character field that was 10 wide.
        This would permit you to store the char string equivalent of a date.
        MM(slashmark)DD(slashmark)YYYY

You could define this to be a calculated field in the table's field rules.

if quote_deposit field is not blank, the date field would contain dtoc(date()).

if quote_deposit field is blank, the date field would contain "". (a null string)

Comment

The default field rule only functions when a new entry is made to the table. It does not recalculate when changes are made.

Comment

I have noticed that in A5 certain calculated field rules only do something upon data entry and not when later changed, while A4 would update whenever a change would be expected.

Anybody know why A4 does make the changes and A5 doesn't?

Mike
            Thank you,
            Mike Konoff

Comment

Mike, can you give us a specific example of what you are referring to?

-- tom

Comment

Thanks for all your replies.

My system was down for 2 days so sorry for delay.

What i am trying to do is as follows.

The database is a quote generating app on which the user
                can put in what payments or deposit has been rec'd against
                the quote. 3 payment fields are available - 1st being deposit / 2nd Interim payment and 3rd Balance payment.
                Each payment has a value field, a date field and a method (ie cash/visa etc). The date field has a mask of ##/##/####.
                My intention was to tidy the input up a bit by checking that
                a value existed for each payment if not then the date and method fields would be blanked/nulled out. My reason for this is that on first enter of figs, date etc everything
                would be fine (and easy as always) but as is often the case
                for any number of reasons the user may want to take out any of the payments entered. I was trying to keep the whole
                app as automated as possible so that when they deleted/nulled out the value it would also do the same for the date and method fields to save the user doing it and if the user forgot to do so. This would make the app tidier and the reports the same.

I hope this clarifies what I am trying to do as having the idea in my head is one thing explaining it clearly to your good selfs is quiet another.

Many thanks for your continued input.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                X