Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Question from an alpha user

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question from an alpha user

To all:
    I received a question from an Alpha5 user in South Africa
    (Dennis Vermeulen) that I couldn't answer.
    He has a problem with directories and paths.
    Thanks
    Charlie Crimmel

This is Dennis' problem
    We have customers who run our accounting systems with multiple directories(Companies)e.g
    C:OSOCO1
    C:OSOCO2
    C:OSOCO3
    The customer name the directories themselves.

The question is as follows:
    I understand that the application exe(FORMS, REPORTS ETC) will be in a directory ,say OSO.
    That has a subdirectory which holds the data ,say CO1
    Do I have to create a directory that holds the application exe(FORMS, REPORTS ETC) for CO1,CO2 and CO3 with a sub directory for each

e.g
    C:OSO1CO1
    C:OSO2CO2
    C:OSO3CO3
    instead of
    C:OSOCO1
    C:OSOCO2
    C:OSOCO3

1.How do I update 10 customers who are 1000 miles away from me?
    Keep in mind that I do not know what path and names they used at installation.

2.What if the user wants to add another suB directory

RE: Question from an alpha user

Charlie, I would suggest that the breakdown of customers or companies be done within the application and all held in the same directory. By using a simple table with a couple fields in it such as a customer or company and a linking field. This table could then be the parent table in a set to link all additional data to each parent record. It would allow any user to add a new company by starting a new parent record, without creating a new directory. If you start adding actual directories then you have to start adding new tables pointing to those new directories. Things will become very complicated to keep updated in the application design. If all data was kept in a single directory then all separate locations could append their data to a central database. The central database could then periodically send the complete update appends back out to all locations. This is of course if they are not already networked. We use a very similar procedure for updating stock quantities for RV dealerships with more than on physical location that wants to track total stock at all locations. Each store maintains real time stock for that store and then once a day they do a location update via phone line append. Each store append gets appended to its own quantity field in the table so that if your store is out of a part you know which other location does have it in stock. We have experimented with multiple directories in the past but found them to be very difficult to keep track of when updating the app.
    Jeff

Comment

Charlie,

Hope I'm not completely missing the point here, but if you don't already have some kind of multi-company logic built into your current data structures, it sounds like what you are presently doing is taking the entire application and putting it into a directory for a particular company. The entire application consists of:
      1) data and indexes (dbf and cdx)
      2) table and set dictionary files (dd* and se* forms reports etc)
      3) Database dictionary files (a* global scripts etc)

As Martin suggests this is not the recommended way of doing things. If I was doing it this way however, and I wanted to create a new company I would:

1) Have a directory ( template ) with the entire application and empty data files
      2) Create a routine that would create a new directory and copy all files from the template directory into the new directory.
      3) Possibly in the template directory keep a table updated with the company names and locations.

This kind of multi-company architecture presents more problems when fixing or enhancing the application as well as more complexity when optimizing. It does in my opinion allow for tighter security between the companies.

John

Comment

It's a rather simple process to get the directories of the application when you are in Alpha. Thus you should have Alpha do the update per se.

This is done by creating a "Dummy" Table (typically containing the Main Menu of the App). A form attached to this "Dummy" table can have a button on it that basically closes all other forms and then runs an update procedure which basically does file_copy() over the old data dictionaries (and maybe some databases and indexes too).

If Network optimized, you would have to reoptimize as well after this procedure.

Charlie (et al): On another note, rather than titling the thread "RE: Question from an alpha user", this does not help when looking for threads by name. I'd ask that all persons try to clearly label their thread with a meaningful description of the thread. E.g. this one could have been called, "Updating duplicate apps in multiple directories question" or similar. Put the most meaningful words 1st (as opposed to "Question: Updating duplicate apps in multiple directories")

Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
        Computer Systems Design & Associates
        [email protected]
        Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
        Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
        New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
        CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
        CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

John:
          This isn't really my application.
          I was only trying to answer a question for someone else.
          All of my apps are built for multi companies.
          I really didn't understand why dennis' company would allow the users to choose their own data directories, but I thought I would get some opinions of the board.
          Thanks
          Charlie Crimmel

Comment

Working...
          X