Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Return to top of embedded browse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Return to top of embedded browse

It's driving me crazy! Version 4.5 seems to have changed the action of embedded browses.

I have a simple one-to-many set with an embedded browse. The parent record defines an account and the child table is deposits and withdrawals. Every time I make a change in the browse (child table) and save it, the browse jumps back to the top line. Sometimes there is a delay before the jump occurs but it will always happen.

I have also copied the data to new tables with no data dictionary (i.e., no field rules) and created a new set. It still happens even with the default form. I also checked with referential integrity both on and off - same results.

This happens in build 263 and 266 but it does not happen with v4.03. I vaguely recall reading about a change which would affect this but I can't find any reference to it now.

Anybody know of a solution without going back to v4.03 other than opening a new form with just the child table in order to enter data and make changes?

A few minutes later... As I was writing this I thought about another app I have that I don't recall having trouble with. I checked it and it works fine - no jumping to the top of the browse. Any thoughts will still be appreciated. In the meantime, I will see if I can discover the difference in my own apps. I may even re-create the problem app from scratch (it's small) to see what happens.

RE: Return to top of embedded browse

Cal, I think you're seeing something in your field rules, or possibly layout level event scripts in your form or browse.

My Basic Data Entry Form (Revised) does not behave as you describe.

I suggest you see if the default form behaves the same way... if you still see the browse jump around while using the default form, that would be a definite indicator that it's a field rule at work...

-- tom

Comment

I know I got long-winded but, as I mentioned, I copied the data to a new table with no data dictionaries - i.e., no field rules and no forms - and built a new set but had the same problem with the default form. I also found another set in another app that works just fine so I'm still trying to figure out what's different about the problem one.

TOM - Also, I sent some e-mail to you just now. Let me know as soon as you get a chance to review it.

Comment

Cal:

I have experienced the same characteristics you describe, but haven't devoted any time in tracking it down.

I'll give it some thought tonight, and test a few theories, but I just wanted you to know you're not the sole person who has experienced this.

Since I hadn't seen any comments on this, I had assumed it was something on my end, so it's comforting to know that I have company. SORRY!!!

I just tested it, and it occurs on every application I have run on build 266, regardless the version it was written under.

None of my clients have complained about it, and I am only aware of the jump as I have been testing a script that fires from the on depart event for the embedded browse. As it recalculates/rewrites time totals based on all child records sharing the same machine, and the number of machines in use for the same period (minute) in a manufacturing environment, I needed to modify the data for testing. Very annoying!

I'll let you know what I find out, if anything, and hope you will do the same...

Craig

Comment

Tom:

The characteristics in question DO occur on your Revised B.D.E.F., at least on my computer.

Would you please try again, using your default browse for the Namecars.set. You might want to add another 3-4 child records for the test.

If you go down the column, any single column, actually changing the value in the field, then pressing the down arrow after each change to commit it, does it jump back up to the top row of that column on your machine?

I find it hard to believe this is a problem only triggered by certain machines.

Thanks for giving it a second try, assuming you do so...

Craig

Comment

I've experienced the same problem. I added a save or commit()to the field rule and it then seems to stay on the current record when I F6 out. But I wish it would just stay put on the current record. Oh yes, I also eliminated one of the 1:m links I had on the set. But I don't think this was the deciding factor.

I'd like to know how this is resolved.

Thanks

Tom

Comment

Tom:

>

Should read "Would you please try again, using your default FORM for the Namecars.set."

Sorry for the typing error...

Craig

Comment

Cal:

Simply put, check your network refresh rate in settings. The jump occurs at the refresh rate. If set to zero, there is no jump.

For the form I was working on, I had built in self diagnostic "flags" (conditional objects) that are visible when a discrepancy exists in the data being entered.

In order for the "flags" to become invisible in synch with the correction to the data, I had to set the refresh rate to 1 second.

I no longer have versions 2 - 4.03 installed, but I checked A5V1. The jump did not occur back in those days, regardless the refresh rate. Frankly, a more preferable choice if I was given one.

To date, Version 5 has the same jump...

Craig

Comment

Tom:

I think the issue has been resolved. Please scroll down to my last reply to Cal for the details.

I consider the problem an undesirable characteristic, but it falls short of being called a bug...

Craig

Comment

Tom:

I think the issue has been resolved. Please scroll down to my last reply to Cal for the details.

I consider the problem an undesirable characteristic, but it falls short of being called a bug(?)

Craig

Comment

Thanks Craig,

I changed my setting back to a refresh rate of zero and that seems to have solved the problem. (I don't even remember resetting them in first place.)

I do think that Alpha should look into this. Can you imagine the frustration of a user not familiar to A5 if this started happening!

I'm also curious to know if it does the same thing on a network - I presume it would.

The question still remains - why does my other app not do the same thing? Does the fact that it also has a grandchild table affect it? I'll check it out when I get a chance.

Comment

Cal:

I do think that Alpha should look into this. �Can you imagine the
                        frustration of a user not familiar to A5 if this started happening!

I agree, It would be better if this didn't
                        occur. Since you have 4.03 on tap, maybe you can see if this is something
                        that occurs on it when the refresh rate is at 1 second or so. Maybe Alpha
                        isn't aware of it, and would be interested in knowing about it.
                        I'll leave it in your hands, as you have more
                        pull at Alpha than I ever will. Besides, they owe you for the real estate
                        quote!
                        I'm also curious to know if it does the same
                        thing on a network - I presume it would.

I'll let you know tomorrow, as I am scheduled to
                        stop at a clients, and can test it out. I'll post my results.
                        The question still remains - why does my other
                        app not do the same thing? Does the fact that it also has a grandchild
                        table affect it? I'll check it out when I get a chance.

You've got me here. I couldn't figure that
                        out, either. It would be nice if we could select the refresh rate for the
                        individual application, not just the software.
                        As I say, I only reset the refresh rate as a
                        matter of necessity, although the next version does handle my situation much
                        better.

Comment

Cal:

Yes, it behaves, or should I say misbehaves, exactly the same on a network...

Craig

Comment

Working...
                          X