Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Exporting memo fields

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exporting memo fields

We have several Alpha V databases which include multiple memo fields. When exporting this information to a comma delimited ascii file, the text in the memo fields is truncated to 1021 characters. How do you get all the text to be exported?

I have inherited this database and am not very familiar with Alpha. I have an MS Access background. Any suggestions or assistance anyone can provide would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

RE: Exporting memo fields

Angie,

You are probably stuck if you limit yourself to a simple export approach. The last time I investigated this issue 1021 was the limit.

There is, however, another way to get this information out. Check out this method in the documentation.
    field.Memo_write_to_file()
    It allows you to transfer the contents of a memo field to an external text file.

It might be helpful if you described your objective. Perhaps there are other ways to get there besides an export.

Bill
    Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

Bill,

I will investigate the scripting approach and see how far I can get. I had seen that Xbasic method mentioned in a couple of other postings but thought there may be some other simple step I was missing.

My goal is to get the information in MS Access so that we may share it with another firm. This table has a flat structure and the memo fields are HUGE. There are approximately 65,000 records in the table.

Thank you for your assistance and I'll explore the Xbasic avenue for a solution.

Angie

Comment

Angie,

If I had your problem I would consider writing the linking key value of the record (*not* the record number)to an external file with some sort of a delimiter line after each memo record. You would then have to write matching code in Access to step through the file or files, capture the memo text and insert it into the appropriate field in the correct record in your Access table.

But wait a second. Can't Access go to the Alpha5 table(Foxpro 2.6 format fyi)directly using ODBC and read the contents of the memo field into an Access table? This would bypass the Export size limit (but only if it works; I haven't tried this and I'm unfamiliar with memo fields within Access).

I hope you'll report back if you achieve this feat.

Good Luck,
        Bill
        Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

If you are not planning to do something sinful like eliminating the A5 application altogether, you might consider using ODBC to link to the A5 data. Use the FoxPro driver to access A5 from Access.

I'm not sure how ODBC handles the memo files. Perhaps someone else can shed some light on that.

Comment

Bill,

Using an ODBC connection to the Alpha database through Access allowed me to import the data directly into Access with the memo data in tact. I imported the table into Access by selecing the Visual FoxPro Database ODBC option. I selected the "Free Table Directory" option in the "Configure Connection" dialog box, browsed to my dbf file and selected it.

I had to deal with a few corrupt memo fields with certain records but it looks as though all the data is there. This particular table has 21 memo fields and approximately 65,000 records.

Thanks to all for your suggestions on working with this export. I'll post more information if I discover any problems with this method with regard to the memo data.

Angie

Comment

Working...
            X