Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Report filter/query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Report filter/query

I have a saved query whicf I created to run the report. When I click the fliter/query button, the query is not listed. Where do I have to create or save a query in order to use it in a report?

Thanks for the direction,

kenn
    TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

RE: Report filter/query

Two ways.

If your saved query is visible in the operations tab, you can specify it in the Report, Detail Properties, Records, bottom button is "Use filter/order from Query...".

You can also run your query from the form containing the button which prints your report, in the report specify "Base report on current selection of records".

Make sure your query and report are based on the same table or set. A report based on a set will not be filtered by a query run against one of the tables, and verse visa.
    There can be only one.

Comment

Stan,

Thanks for your reply. I've thought for a long time that there are gremlins hiding in A5 and now I' starting to believe it.

Stan said,

Been there, tried that and the queries do not show. Instead, the three (3) indexes in the parent table are the guests of honor. (I confirmed this)

Stan said,

This I did and it works.

Finally, Stan said,

The query and the report are based on the same set.

However, the question remains, when I press the "Use filter/order from Query..." button, why do I get the three (3)indexes in the parent table instead of saved queries?

Thanks again Stan.

kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Hi Ken,

Forgive me, but run your query and report via xbasic on a button, then drop the query after you are done. Queries are great, but remember that a query is only 'good' when you run it, it does not pickup new records etc, unless you re-run or refresh it. Just my two cents worth, I hate queries hanging around. Always getting in the way.

Good luck,
        Jim

Comment

Ken, if your 'saved query' is a saved query operation it will be visible on the operations tab of the control panel. Assuming that's what you are referring to, when you open your report in design mode,

Open the Report menu item at top of screen
          Select Detail Properties
          Select Records
          Push the 'Use Filter/Order from Query' button and pick the desired operation off the popup list.

Ken, the phrase 'saved query' in your original message is ambiguous. Each time you run a QBF, for example, Alpha Five 'saves' the four most recent query lists. Many folks run a QBF, and then run reports based on 'currently selected records'... since the last record selection set is in place if the report is run right after the QBF. These types of 'saved queries' are not visible in the layout editor of your report. So, it pays to remember that for most of us there's a big difference between a 'saved query operation' and a 'saved query'.

The

Comment

Hi Jim,

Yes, that's what I did only I used action scripting. I had a button on the form to run the query and then keying on what Stan said, I added layout preview to it. That part does what I need thus far.

Now, I need to further design my report which will hopefully filter out the dates that are not duplicates. This is going to be a great learning experience for me as the match has to compare the duplicates in 2 fields.

Thanks for your 2 cents worth. (It's really worth a lot more than that)

kenn

Comment

Tom,

Yes, the saved query is in the Operations tab. I did the following:

Opened the Report menu item at top of screen
              Selected Detail Properties
              Selected Records
              Pushed the 'Use Filter/Order from Query....' button

BUT, none of the querys in the Operations tab show. Only the indexes in the parent table of the set on which the report is based show. This happens both on my app at home and on the app at work. I've not run any QBF on the app at work.

I see the point about 'saved query' vs 'saved query operation' This can get very confusing since the instructions which appear when clicking the 'Use Filter/Order from Query....' button state, "RUN QUERY" rather than 'saved query operation'. The user has to assume that the querys in the operations tab will show up for duty. But, they do not, parent table indexes show up instead.

Another thing happening which may be releated: I created a report and Alpha created indexes because of date inversion, etc. However, Alpha also created 2 identical reports as well. Are these "ghost' reports? If so, how does one tell the 'ghost' from the real thing?

Thanks for your interest in this.

kenn

Comment

Ken, I wonder if your saved query operation is based on the same set as the report you are designing when you ask Alpha Five to 'use filter/order from query' ? I doubt that Alpha Five would show you operations which are based on other combinations of tables or sets.

-- tom

Comment

Tom,

Well.....I believe you are right. I created a quick query and a report based on a set and then on a single table. The queries did show. However, the indexes were also there. Do you know the reason for the indexes showing?

As I typed this, the answer came in that the index can also be used as a filter. Guess that goes to show the flexibility and power of A5. There's so many ways to do things that it's not hard to become confused when just beginning to work in depth with certain features.

My problem is that I need to delve into things that are more complex than the average such as the report I'm trying to design, finding duplicate records that need to compare 2 or 3 fields beforrew the record is considered a duplicate.

Thanks for your patience and guidance,

kenn

Comment

Working...
                  X