Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

one problem fixed one to go (for now)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

one problem fixed one to go (for now)

hi again:

thanks to all for your replies to my problem with the existing browse with the horizontal scroll bar issue. i had placed some restrictions on the browse (in the browse properties) and removing them made the scroll bar go away (seems a little odd to me but it's fixed).

i am trying to download data from a truck that has an 8 bit limit (0 to 255) in the driver_id field. this limits me to a total of 255 drivers. when the administration is entering new drivers, if there is a deleted driver (say driver 025 was deleted in a list of 075) in the drivers table i want to re-use the number 025 instead of going to number 076. the driver_id is actually a character field (in keeping with good table design practices). entering a new driver is done through a button on the main menu. i attached the following script to the driver entry form OnActivate:

dim new_id as c

dim match as n 'starting point for first available id
    match = 1

tbl=table.current() 'already in the table
    tbl.index_primary_put("driver_id") 'start at the lowest id

'debug(1)
    tbl.fetch_first() 'start with first record
    while .not.tbl.fetch_eof() 'go until there are no more records
    if match!=val(tbl.driver_id) 'found an orphaned id
    ui_msg_box("found orphan","") 'just a test to see if we got there
    exit while
    else
    end if

match=match+1
    tbl.fetch_next()
    end while

'end of file encountered

new_id=padl(ltrim(str(match)), 3, "0")
    ui_msg_box("new id is",new_id) 'just a test to see if we got there

id_update=new_id

i used OnActivate so that i could use "tbl.fetch_first()" which won't work in the enter mode. id_update is a global variable. the script finds any orphans just fine, and if there are none it assigns the next available driver_id. i placed the id_update variable on the form and it contains the correct driver_id. Then in the OnEnter script i tried the following attempts to get the variable into the field:

attempt 1

driver_id.text=id_update
    driver_id.refresh()

attempt 2

driver_id=id_update
    driver_id.refresh()

:driver entry:driver_id.refresh

can't seem to get the data from the variable into the form for love nor money. i tried going to the interactive tab and doing the following:

?id_update
    = "005"

driver_id=id_update
    ?driver_id
    = "005"

any suggestions?

thanks once again, seeing all the familiar names again brings back great memories!

ed

RE: one problem fixed one to go (for now)

You know best, Ed, but if you ask me reusing the driver id codes is a one-way route to confusion. What is the downside to having unused codes in the series?

Bill
    Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

hi again bill:

boy you're on the edge if you think i know best! the downside of having unused id's in the table is that it limits the total driver list to 255 entries. the company will have about 200 drivers on staff so after a time it is possible that the list may overflow. the limit of 255 is precipitated by the computers in the truck having this 255 limit which is not able to be changed. the numbers 000 to 255 are aliases so to speak.

thanks, bill!!

ed

p.s. good to hear from you again

Comment

Ed, unless your script dimensions (DIM) the variables it uses (like 'match') as shared or global, they are local to the script, and invisible to the form. Check the discussion of 'Scope of Variables' in Ch. 5 of the xbasic ref manual.

-- tom

Comment

hi tom:

thanks for your input. i gave a try to your suggection and used

dim GLOBAL id_update as c in the script

in the OnActivate i had already declared it as a global so there was no change in moving it to the script on the form.

the form "driver entry" is opened in "enter new record" from a button on the main menu. when i place the global variable on the form i can see the correct charater string eg. "005" in the variable. i just can't seem to get it into the table that i'm entering the new driver into. the other puzzeling thing is that in the interactive window all appears to work.

any other suggestions are much appreciated!!

regards,

ed

Comment

Ed, assuming the right value is in a variable called id_update, then

:formname:fieldname.value = var->id_update

should move it into the field on your form just fine.

-- tom

Comment

hi again:

thank you all indeed!!!!!!!!! it was a short between the ears. i had restricted "change" on the form, and this dang blasted Alpha5 did what i told it to. it stopped the field from being changed.

wow, been away for only a few months (well maybe a little longer) and find it's alot like riding a bicycle. you can still fall down and crash if you're not paying attention.

thanks again guys!

ed

Comment

Working...
              X