Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

form filter expression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

form filter expression

Afternoon

I have been trying all day to make up an expression for a form filter to display only those students who have a birthday coming up within the week.
    Should I be making calculated fields in the table to hold all the calculations? Or can this be done on the fly all at once.

Thanks
    Duane

RE: form filter expression

Duane,

Don't know what you mean by "on the fly" but you should only need to do it in the form's filter. What is it about your expression that is the problem?

kenn
    TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Duane:
      You could do it as calculated fields but the you would have to recalc the fields when you want to print.
      I would use the fields as a user entered field (not calculated) and then when I needed to know who has a b-day run an operation update to calc the days between the current date and their b-day
      Charlie crimmel

Comment

Ken

I have a database on school students and I would like to have a form w/browse displaying kids that have a birthday coming up this week.
        Using calculated fields for the form it takes quite a few to break down the date to characters so I can change the year to the current year so it can be compared to today and 1 week from now. I go to the form properties - filter - and the expression box doesn't let me choose any of the calculated fields I made up.
        On the fly was a fairly odd term I used meaning it would calculate each at the time of filling the form browse instead of using a table with a bunch of calculated fields.

Thanks for your reply

Duane

Comment

Duane, maybe I'm missing something. However, if you know the begindate for next week, and the enddate for next week, which you can get as input from the user into variables, why not filter the table records to show students 'between' the begindate and enddate.

Check the thread, Browse Child Challenge for some similar examples.

-- tom

Comment

Hi Tom

I didn't look in that direction as the birthdate information has the year born, could be 5 - 14 years difference from next week. So I was using calcs to strip out that year and put in the current year.

Thanks
            Duane

Comment

Thanks for the reply

I was just looking for something a little more automatic for the user.

Thanks
              Duane

Comment

Wow
                That date stuff is sure something else (confusing) to me , especially when I forgot about 'global' calculated and when calculating c to date don't forget to use a 10 char field length.

thanks for your replies
                Duane

Comment

Duane:

Unless I've stopped seeing straight I think this function will work. The intention is that regardless of which day in a given week you run it (eg. Sunday, Monday or Tuesday) you will still produce the same list of names. If you wanted the output on screen you could use the function in a saved query and run it. To print you could use the function in a report's filter expression.

I expect that before long someone will come up with a more elegant version (where's Ira?) but I thought I'd get things started.

Bill

function birthday_this_week as L(dob as D)
                  'returns true if birthday lies within current week
                  'current week includes next Saturday
                  'make sure system date is correct!

dim today as d
                  dim birthday as d 'birthday in the current year
                  dim days_remaining as n 'days left in current week

today = date()
                  days_remaining=7-dow(today) 'days left in current week
                  birthday = ctod(left(dtoc(dob),6)+cyear(today))

if month(today) = month(dob)
                  if day(birthday)today-dow(today) 'count all birthdays after beginning of week
                  birthday_this_week = .t.
                  end if
                  end if
                  else
                  birthday_this_week=.f.
                  end if

end function
                  Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

Right. The range to be filtered 'between' is BeginMMDD and EndMMDD.

If BirthdayMMDD is 'between' BeginMMDD and EndMMDD include it.

-- tom

Comment

Along Bill's line, this is a calculated expression that assumes dob is a field in a record:

between(ctod(left(dtoc(dob),6)+cyear(date())),date() -dow(date()) + 1,date() -dow(date()) + 7)

Hopefully this returns true if birthday occurs in the current week

Comment

John,

Yours is a good expression. Alternatively, you can do the compare as characters (while not as short may have applicability for other equations), as in;

between(right(cdate(dob),4),right(cdate(date()-dow(date())+1),4),right(cdate(date()-dow(date())+7),4))

Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
                        Computer Systems Design & Associates
                        [email protected]
                        Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
                        Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
                        New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
                        CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
                        CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Ira,
                          Yours works a little better if the birthday was na Feb 29.
                          John

Comment

John,

On further inspection I noticed that yours fails if you cross a year boundary with DATE()-DOW(DATE())+1 or DATE()-DOW(DATE())+7 from the value returned in cyear(Date()).

Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
                            Computer Systems Design & Associates
                            [email protected]
                            Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
                            Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
                            New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
                            CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
                            CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

I see now that I have a problem if the week spans a change of month.

Ira, does your expression handle both change of month and change of year?

Bill
                              Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

Working...
                              X