Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Close, but....Not Quite There

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Close, but....Not Quite There

I've been working on totaling the AMOUNT column on an embeded browse which will show totals of the value chosen in the TYPE, METHOD, PAYEE or PAYOR fields. The fields at the bottom of the columns is a total of the chosen value of the column. It works pretty good except the total of more than one column can change. Example: if you click on a value in the TYPE column, the total is shown for the selected type. The total will also change in one or more of the other columns. While that's not a problem, cosmetically, it's a distraction.

So, my way around this is to create an expression in a calc field that incorporates all four totals. This is what I have so far:

if(DBSUM("ACCTITEMS.DBF","LINEPAYOR",PAYOR,"AMOUNT"),if(DBSUM("ACCTITEMS.DBF","LINEPAYEE",PAYEE,"AMOUNT"),if(DBSUM("ACCTITEMS.DBF","LINETYPE",TYPE,"AMOUNT"),if(DBSUM("ACCTITEMS.DBF","LINEMETHOD",METHOD,"AMOUNT"),0))))

I get the error message: Too Few Parameters.

What am I missing?

Thanks,

kenn
    TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

RE: Close, but....Not Quite There

Update. It appears that the columns and the rows are being read at the same time, if that makes sense? If that's the case, my expression could be way off since the only total that should change is the total below the column that has focus.

Thanks,

kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

The error message is telling you that you don't have enough parameters in the IF statements.

You have:

IF(DBSUM(....),... Remember that DBSUM returns a value. So, you have to equate that value to something so IF can determine whether or not it is true, i.e.:

IF(DBSUM(....)=5,...

Also, with multiple IF's, you have to have a true and false result for each IF, i.e.:

IF(X="A",IF(Y="A",IF(Z="A","XYZ","XY"),"X"),"NADA")

This example might not be doing what you want. If you describe what result you want, maybe we can refine this for you.

Comment

Bill,

Two threads were started accidently. This is the latest expression, it gives Incorrect Data Type. I understand there's a mismatch in the data, character vs numeric.

if(DBSUM("ACCTITEMS.DBF","LINEPAYOR","PAYOR","AMOUNT"),Str(Amount),if(DBSUM("ACCTITEMS.DBF","LINEPAYEE","PAYEE","AMOUNT"),Str(Amount),if(DBSUM("ACCTITEMS.DBF","LINETYPE","TYPE","AMOUNT"),Str(Amount),if(DBSUM("ACCTITEMS.DBF","LINEMETHOD","METHOD","AMOUNT"),Str(Amount), Str(Amount)))))

I also tried:

if(DBSUM("ACCTITEMS.DBF","LINEPAYOR","PAYOR","AMOUNT"),Amount,if(DBSUM("ACCTITEMS.DBF","LINEPAYEE","PAYEE","AMOUNT"),Amount,if(DBSUM("ACCTITEMS.DBF","LINETYPE","TYPE","AMOUNT"),Amount,if(DBSUM("ACCTITEMS.DBF","LINEMETHOD","METHOD","AMOUNT"),Amount, Str(Amount)))))

The difference being that I deleted the STR() and I tried it by putting "" around Amount. All three attemps yield the Incorrect data Type.

I also tried changing the indexes by adding the AMOUNT field but that didn't work.

Thanks,

kenn

Comment

if(DBSUM("ACCTITEMS.DBF","LINEPAYOR","PAYOR","AMOUNT")>amount,Amount,DBSUM("ACCTITEMS.DBF","LINEPAYOR","PAYOR","AMOUNT"))

the dbsum function returns a number and needs a rational comparision.

Comment

Ken -
            I took a look at your form, and I am not sure what the problem is..."The total will also change in one or more of the other columns. While that's not a problem, cosmetically, it's a distraction."

A distraction from what? All you have is a browse with four columns, and the totals at the bottom reflect the totals for content of the current field in that column. Works for me!

Comment

Stephen,

Thanks for taking a look at this. Notice what's happening. Clicking on a name in one column, may change the total at the bottom depending on the sequence of the clicks. If you click on the word "Deposit" in the TYPE column, you will get a total of all deposits. Just what should happen.

On the same record, click on any (or all) of the other three columns and watch what happens. Usually there is no change in any of the totals and the user has to go to a different record and then come back. Not the most efficient way of doing it.

If only one calc field is used (for any column), it works great each and every time. As soon as another calc field is added, that's when the annoyance begins. The user can get the right answer but has to click in on otherenames in oter columns first.

For some reason, the calc fields interact with each other when displayed on the form. That's the part I can't figure out; why are they interacting. My thought is that it has something to do with the index. I tried adding the AMOUNT field to it but that dead ends in 00.00.

I also think that unless the annoyance is resolved, the 'if' expression may not work as desired.

Thanks,

kenn

Comment

Ken -
                I'm at home and my copies of stuff are at the office. But I know what you mean. I had actually thought this would be a good "puzzle" to see who can make it "flow". I have a lttle set I have been meaning to put up here to show some of the ways databases work (or don't work). I am trying to sift and sort three way links, such as Date, Crew, Job. Best shown with a demo.

Anyway, it has to do with refreshing the data. It seems data is read and values computed in a different sequence than you might expect, so you are always seeing data one step behind the current pointer. Alpha Five allows so much flexibilty it suckers you into some erroneous structures. So you need to be careful in design...

Comment

Stephen,

How right you are. A simple program does simple things. A5 is so very flexible that it drove me nuts compared to Access97. I had to force myself to NOT think of how I did it in Access but how is it done in A5.

After a bit, I got to thinking about what the totals actually meant for each record. It got quite complex in a hurry. I think you are right (your comment about the totals) but understanding it is another issue. One really has to think it out.

When I added another account number and accountitems to the scenario, things really became complex as the totals were then showing for both account numbers rather than the one in focus. I created another post, INDEXES & DBSUMS which explains or lays it out in better detail, at least I hope it does.

Yes, it would be a good project as no doubt many could use this in their applications.

In the mean time, I'll keep chipping away at this, trying to get it to work a bit at a time and then put the pieses together.

Thanks,

kenn

Comment

Working...
                  X