Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Strange Behavior with a form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange Behavior with a form

I have a form based on a set. Evertime I open it, it's in data entry mode and will not allow me to view other records by using the previous or next arrow icons.

The forms properties are the default values; no restrictions. There are records in the table.

What gives?

Thanks,

kenn
    TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

RE: Strange Behavior with a form

Hi Ken,

What's it like in Minnesota tonight? We're having a major storm, shoot, I just planted the Palm trees yesterday.

First thing I'd do is check and see what index or query is active. Second thing is go to the default form and see if the same subset of records is showing there also. Got to think it's the index, query, or form. Did you rebuilt indexes? And of course the famous database compact.

Good luck,
    Jim

Comment

Ken, could you post a sample that illustrates the problem?

Comment

Also, if you press "esc", are you asked, "Are you sure you want to lose your changes?"

I would guess that if you are asked that then you are sure that your form is in "enter" mode. If not, maybe it's something else, such as a corrupt form.

(Hey Ken, your an invenstigator right? Heck, you should be able to spot a corrupt form a mile away!!!!)

Mike
        Thank you,
        Mike Konoff

Comment

Good Morning Jim, Tom, Mike, et al. When I posted last night I guess I was more tired than I thought. Best excuse I have next to being tired is that Access treats sets a bit differently than A5 does and keeping the mindset separte is a task at times. I've been reading the manual about sets, indexes, forms, etc., but I'm still not out of the woods. I did select the linking field as the primary index for each table.

1)When a set is created, the set is essentially one big table, right?

2)So, if I want to enter a new record for a child table only, I have to create a form or browse based only on the child table, so that the linking field data automatically xfers over, right?

3) There must be a way to do this w/o writing xbasic. Using the button genie, "show records only where" doesn't doesn't xfer the linking field data.

I've read & re-read the manual but I'm missing the part that deals with this. (There could be a chapter devoted to Browses, Forms & sets; how they interact with each other, when to use an embedded browse or a browse based on a table.)

I've got some other thoughts but that would make this too lengthy.

Thanks for the insight.

Jim, I picked fresh oranges this morning from the backyard. Been sunny and 40's here.
          Mike, Yah, you're right. But even the best investigator gets bogged down in the thick of things.

kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Ken,

If you try the default form for the set, in order to navigate the parent, a parent field must have focus unless you place a button that specifically refers to the browse containing the one to many records.

Michael

Comment

Kenn,

You should be enter child records directly into the child table through the embedded browse that you placed on the data entry form for the set, such as how I enter Invoice or Purchase Order line items, unless I've missed something you're trying to accomplish.

On your form in your embedded browse, if there are no related child records, then there should one shaded row with in the first column...click on that, , and you'll put the child embedded browse into "enter" mode. Enter your info, press F9 to save, and F6 to exit the browse. Or, press ctrl-E to enter another record in the embedded browse.

I believe that there are ways to enter into a child of a set by using a form for the child, but I would also guess that doing it that way is more complicated than entering directly into the embedded browse, maybe requiring xbasic.

Does it seem that I've misunderstood what you're trying to accomplish???

Let me know.
              Mike
              Thank you,
              Mike Konoff

Comment

Mike,

You're on the right track. On my first app, I used a tabbed subform and did what you're suggesting. However, several on this board have cautioned against using a browse for data entry so that's the direction I am exploring. Sometimes though, a browse is just the ticket as well as a combination of form and browse is used; example, a data entry form is used which contains a browse of only 1-3 fields. The browse is for the purpose of being able to have a snapshot of the records already entered which is useful for needing to know the last record.

That seems to be my preference, at least at this point. The problem is there is no way to use the form for data entry w/o using xbasic to automatically enter the data into the linking field. This has been discussed to some extent in past threads so I'll revisit. The drawback to an embedded browse for data entry is the # of fields needed. If there are many fields, scrolling side to side is not the coolest way of doing it.

In this instance, A5 is it's own worst enemy in that the more powerful a program is, the more simplistic and thorough the manual needs to be. I won't go down that road as A5 folks know the problem there and I know they will do all they can to make the v5 manual simplistic and thorough.

Need to try a couple of things and then report back. Thanks for the advice.

kenn

Comment

Kenn,

I've not had any problems entering data into a browse, nor have I heard of any problems entering data with a browse.

In version 4.03 I experienced an occassional rub whereby when I "changed" the value of a numeric field the numbers would not be accepted into the field as I type them. Someone suggested that I was fat-fingering the "change". But, I thought I was doing that for a while until I finally caught on to what was happening. On occassion, the program would not take the data as I entered it. I'd change the value from one number to say 45.95. I'd enter 4-5-.-9-5. The value might be 5.495. The first number would be delayed and out of sequence. (No lie...I'm not drunk...burp.)

However, this problem does not exist for me in version 4.50.

I have heard that there are problems with using memo fields though. Ira suggested, I believe, to put memo's in another table, related 1-1 to the table the memo is for. He might be able to shed some light on what your involved in.

Thanks,
                  Mike
                  Thank you,
                  Mike Konoff

Comment

Hi Ken,

1)There is a couple of ways to do this, one way would be to create a set using the current parent as the parent of the new set and the child table you want to enter a new record into (or edit an existing record) as the child, but define the link as a one to one. Now you can display the child fields on a form.

2) On your existing form put the child table as a one to many browse, but only show a field or two for identification puposes. Now add the child's fields outside of the browse on the form. As an example of how this would look check out the invoice app that ships with A5 and open up the customer base form. This is not a set, but as you scroll through the browse the form is also cycled.

3) Really isn't difficult with a little xbasic. Try this to make an edit form that will open up when you press a buton. First create a form for the child table. Now go to the set form where you will begin the process. Go into design mode and add a button to the form. Say 'Built in Action'. Now select 'Form/Browse Operation, 'Open a Form', select your child form from the list. The next screen will ask you which records you want the form to show. Tell the genie 'Show only records where' then direct the genie to show only records where the linking field is equal to the parent linking field. Now save.

Now you have a working button, but pressing the button will open the form with the first child record that links to the parent. Not what you want, but you understand what is going on and the button genie has written all the code to this point. Now go back to design mode and right click the button and choose actions. You should see the inline xbasic. You need to modify the query.filter expression. You can do it in the in line xbasic screen or convert to xbasic. Replace the query.filter expression with this:

"recno() =" + alltrim(str(recno("NameOfChildTable")))

That should do it. Now pressing the button will bring up the child form showing whatever child record was current on the set form. Similar for entering a new record. Just put the linking field value in a variable, open up the child form and a line or two of xbasic to put the value in the child's linking field.

Good luck
                    Jim

Comment

Mike,

Thanks for the info. I hope the memo field issues are straightened out in v5 although many have not had any problems at all.

Jim,

#2 is what I had in mind althought I couldn't understand why it should work as I thought that adding a new record for teh child table would cause a new record for the set to be added. Not the case. I created a tabbed subform (Oh how I love tabbed subforms!) Then I created an embedded browse based on the child table rather than the set and added a few fields from the child table to the other part of the tab. Works like a million bucks.

I also added a form to another tab, based on a child table rather than the set. I chose link to new form but ran into a problem in that the form I created was saved but weird stuff happened. The tabbed subform moved to the top of my screen and the message, cannot load form but using default form instead appeared. However, no form was used. I exited went back to the tab added the existing form I had just created. Multiple record additions worked just fine.

Now which chapter of the manual should I write about this? B4 you say Chapter 13, there ought to be a meeting of the minds (now that's a loose term) to throw out all sorts of scenarios of the various ways this has been done. Gotta give that some thought? I wonder if Cal is putting something together?

Well, back to my form design.

Thanks for helping me through this obstacle. "I can see clearly now, the rain (snow) has gone......"

kenn

Comment

Working...
                      X