Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Script buffer limited???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Script buffer limited???

Greetings:

A recent project has left me battling either a problem with my computer, or possible limits in the script buffer.

I have a 128MB of ram in a 400MHZ machine.

Recent global scripts have pushed from 400 - 742 lines.

Depending on the content of the script, I have reached points where I can no longer add any characters to the script. I get a non-Windows error message that says "Out Of Windows Memory"

By 'content of the script', I mean that complex updates with multiple conditions seem to swallow up more 'memory', so those scripts are closer to a 400 line limit.

Some scripts are closer to 800 lines, but have less 'content' (the lines are shorter!).

I have resolved this by going to multiple scripts, but was wondering where the problem lies. One recent script was around 2000 lines, so it resulted in 7 sub scripts..

Here I go assuming again, but since it is just text, with no formatting, and I can paste the whole thing and much more into notepad without saving the file, I would think that script length would be unlimited.

Has anyone else experienced this? It's not a major, but I have this thing about having scripts jump about from card to card, or script to script. It just makes it more difficult for the next programmer to determine what's going on... The biggest 'pain' is when I need to paste a sequence into an existing script, and then have to move everything in every sub- script up again.

Thanks for any input or insight...

Craig

RE: Script buffer limited???

Craig - the length of a script is determined by a total number of characters, not lines. I forget what it is, and
    can't find it in any documentation.

A 2000 line script is HUGE !. I do all my posting routines
    in scripts, and have never aproached this.

What you might try is to break it down into seperate sections, each a stand alone, then use script_play("scriptn") to execute them sucessively.

This would eliminate the need to juggle the sections - if you need to modify a module, just change it in the code section.

Lowell

Comment

Craig,

My longest script is 730 lines, and most of that is import or append field mapping. In fact, I should break it up. In all most all cases, my scripts are very short because I make use of (global or embedded) functions that simplify repeated lines of code. Making a long piece of code makes it extremely hard to debug and understand and is considered poor programming practice.

One popular programming style tries to have everything on 1 page. If it doesn't fit, then it calls scripts and functions that fit on one page until you get to the smallest piece of detail in the code.

Break your code up into distinct pieces (ones that have very few common parameters) and create separate scripts or functions for them is my recommendation.

Alpha 5 shouldn't have any practical limit for a script size (It's all stored in memo fields that can grow very large), but I bet the script editting window does.

As a side note, the Inline XBasic window in action scripting does have a byte limit, which in version 5 (and I think 4.5) is limited so you know when it will cut off.

Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
      Computer Systems Design & Associates
      [email protected]
      Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
      Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
      New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
      CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
      CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Lowell:

Thanks for the response!

I have been using script_play to trigger the next script in the sequence, and numbering the scripts numerically so they can easily be traced in future.

You are right. I should have refered to characters, rather than lines. It would be interesting to know how many characters the buffer allows for.

As far as huge... Most scripts I write are as condensed as possible, but these scripts move and modify a lot of data, and interact with the user, and must all be accomplished with a single button push.

Well, thanks for your valued input! I take it you think it's not 'my computer', which is fine...

Craig

Comment

Ira:

Thanks for the feedback... I appreciate it!

>

I'm glad you didn't know me years ago when all one could do was write long pieces of code. I stopped programming because I got tired of the typing. In high school it was worse, as the Digitals were a straight keyboard with no monitor, and the card readers were time consuming, too!

I agree that concise code is better, and always strive to achieve that measure. It's just no possible this time. I've been using A5 for years, and just found it's limits this past month!

I'm not sure I agree on the one page theory. It works for the programmer who creates the code, but anyone following behind is hopscotching to try to ascertain what's going on. The end result is just as much code, but scattered all about. I'd rather print a script in it's entirety, than print 20 scripts and flip back and forth through the pages. Now that I think about it, I've even had to go back to my own code written in version 1 and print it to see how I accomplished something years back!

The above could be debated with arguments in favor of both sides, but again, I don't like jumping around any more than necessary. The only time I waiver is a segment that is duplicated in many scripts, but I rarely have a situation like that anyway.

Don't take the above offensively. I've known your name for several years and respect what you have accomplished.

Now that you mention it, I could have trimmed a segment by defining a function for it. Good point!!!

The Action scripting buffer was just expanded in A5 v4.5. I have never had a problem here, as I've never even come close to the buffer on an event script.

So I thank you for the input, but you left out the most signifcant point... Did you just stop at 730 lines on that script, or couldn't you go any further!!!

Take Care,

Craig

Comment

Working...
          X