Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Expected Value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expected Value?

The following expression works just fine:

Evid_Numbr ="4".and.
    TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

RE: Expected Value?

Ken, try

Evid_Numbr >="4" .and. Evid_Numbr

Comment

Think I found the problem but not sure how to correct it. I created a browse (From the Browse Tab, based on a single table, not linked in a set) with a filter, Case_Numbr

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Tom,

Oh DAH! How easy that was. It works but as in my response, the filter does carry through when creating a new browse. However, when creating the correct expression, ther isn't a problem.

Thanks Tom, you're more wide awake that I am at this time of the day. Short night and woke up @ 4am. Had a close one at a suspects house last night and still bearing the effects.

kenn

Comment

Ken, if I understand the situation I think the answer is yes.

The browse form you created is like a viewing port into the table. It's not the data itself.

this is true for forms, as well. They're like a viewing port into the table (or set) upon which they happen to be based.

Try this. From the control panel open your table using the default form or browse. run a query against the table to display only those records where Evid_numbr

Comment

Yes, you're right. I had clicked the show all button (prior to reading your last)while viewing the default browse. When I go to form view, both browses show all the records, the filter is not working.

Clarification:
            The form has 6 fields from the table at the top. Then, displayed below are two browses, Bwse1 which has a filter to show only records =4 and

Comment

Ken,

Here's a recap of what you are trying to do.

Using a form based on a single table you want to display:

- selected fields from the current record
              - a subset of the records in the table based on a separate filter expression, using a browse object based on a separately named browse form; and
              - a second subset of the records in the table based on yet another filter expression, using a browse object based on another separately named browse form.

I don't think you can do this, because the form is based on a single instance of the table. Whatever 'view' of the records is applicable to the form (show all, or query, or quick filter, whatever...) will be applicable to the fields on the form, and both browse objects...

What you are attempting is to simultaneously manipulate different 'views' of the same table, and display them all on screen at one time. I don't think you can do this with a form based on a single table.

-- tom

Comment

If I understand the situation, you are trying to display the records from a single table in two different browses based on different filter criteria in each browse (all on the same form). If that is not true ignore the following:

You might try making another table with one record and a field with a value of "1" called link. Put the same link field on the actual table always with a value of "1". Make a set with the new table the parent and two one to many links to your present table. The link "1" will be the same but the filter in the linked tables defined when creating the set will be will be different. Alpha will give the second occurrence of the same table a slightly different name. This may present other problems if you are doing something other than displaying the records, but it should work. Whatever you do, you will have to create some kind of a set to do what you want.

Comment

John,

I'm not sure I understand exactly how the set should be structured:

Parent Table with 1:M to the child tabe and anohter 1:M to the Child table wiht the 1 record.

or is it:

Parent table with a 1:M link to the Child table and the 1:M link between the Child table and the table with the 1 record.

Thanks,

kenn

Comment

Ken,

John is talking about a parent table that has only one record.

It is linked to two child tables, using a 1:N link. Each child table is your original Evidence table. The parent table links to all child records, because you put a matching link field in each record of the Evidence table.

You wind up with something like this:

NewOneRecParent table linked 1 to many to Evidence

and

NewOneRecParent table linked 1 to many to Evidence (though in this case A5 will give it a new name, probably something like Evidence1).

-- tom

Comment

John and Tom,

Thanks for your suggestions. This is what I did:

I created a table with one field called LINK and entered the value of 1. Next I added a field called LINK to the Evidence table and entered the value of 1.

Then I created a set using the Link table as the parent table and then added 4 child tables, all from the Evidence table, so I have Evidence, Evidence1, Evidence2 and Evidence3. The only difference is the filter expression in the link.

I created a new form based on the set and then added embedded browses,selecting each table in the set, Evidence, Evidence1, Evidence2 & Evidence3. The evidence numbers show in the appropriate browses but I think I ran into the problem you mentioned. Only one record is available in the upper part of the form which is used for data entry. It will not advance to other records and when entering a new record, all the browses go blank. This defeats my need for the browses.

Thought I'd try it another way by creating a child table for each major # in the evidence chain, i.e. 1-6. When the data is entered into the parent table, it will be posted to the appropriate child table.

Thanks again for your suggestion. It certainly was worth a try.

kenn

Comment

Ken,
                        What we suggested was a way to view the different evidence types collectively in diffferent browses on one form. It doesn't have to be the entry vehicle for new data. You could have an entry form that differs from this view form that would connect to a completely different set or individual table. This entry form could be a button that originated from the form that showed the multiple browses. A button underneath the appropriate browse showing certain evidence could go to an entry form that allows for the entry of that particluar evidence type only. The filter for that particular form would be the same filter you used for that type in the combo set. When you exit the entry form, you resynch the combo view. The trick here is to match the effect you want to achieve with the basic abilities of the development tool that you are using. Last question: If you have four simultaneous views of different kinds of data, what is it that you want to see in the upper part of the screen? Is it info from an individual transaction, or is it general info that pertains to a certain client, case or matter? You may not be as far from what you want to achieve as what you think. Good luck!

Comment

Hi John,

The fields on the top of the form would be the same fields that appear in the browses. I think I understand why only one record appears at the top, basically becasue the fields are from the 1st child table rather than the parent form.

My goal was to use the top part of the form for data entry and the browses would be read only, viewable so that I would be able to see the last evidence # in each browse, thereby able to enter the correct evidence # when a new entry is made.

Thanks for your suggestions. This is a challenge for me.

ken

Comment

Working...
                          X