Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Little Thing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: Little Thing

More:

It is Hours later Tom Cone and it's still working.

Review: Yes the Alpha main window was dimmed, and the startup application menu also dimmed. The Da__ed thing, as far as windows should be concerned is INACTIVE. According to 'Alt-TAB', "A5HALT" was the 'active' window [none of course].

No key presses of any kind other than Alt-TAb would activate it. Yes, I had done a number of 'Activate' fields, forms, etc in On init, on activate, and everything else, seemingly with no success.

Alas!, the sys_send_keys("{ALT-TAB}") prevails as a good solution. All this once again proving that there is 'Life After Birth'

Thanks again all.

Comment

I was following this thread hoping someone would have a magical solution to this interesting problem. I have this same issue with a couple A5 apps, but with a twist. I pop up a password dialog on every app to limit user access using ui_get_password(). On one computer with Win98, the password box sometimes has focus and sometimes it doesn't. Same thing on one computer with Win95. Yet the same app on other computers works fine. All of the apps are opened with a similar shortcut. Example

D:/A5V4_Runtime/Alpha5.exe "D:/Data Files/Databases/Hazmat/Hazmat Table.adb"-include=start.txt
      (backslashes replaced)

Start.txt replaces the splash screen, hides the controlpanel, and changes the A5 icon and title. There doesn't seem to be a pattern. And {Alt}{tab} just kicks the user out of the application, since it appears the main menu screen has focus, but not the dialog. I have tried all kinds of solutions, but the problem still appears, both in Runtime and full programs, and not every time. My home computer is the Win98 with the problem, so testing has been easy.

In any case, clicking on the password box gives focus to it, so the problem is mostly a nuisance. Just another annoying Windows "characteristic"

Jerry

Comment

Hi ken,

Does your POS app generate and read bar-code labels, if so is there a way that I can share it with you?

Ed Schulz

Comment

I have Win98se and I can make this happen or not happen!

My app loads a form with 3 buttons on it and uses the form's OnKey to "push" the buttons. If I set Win to Prevent Applications From Stealing Focus, then my OnKey does not work until I click the form. If I set Windows not to Prevent Applications From Stealing Focus, then my OnKey works without clicking the form.

If you are using TweakUI 1.33 from Microsoft, go to the General tab and uncheck Prevent Applications From Stealing Focus and see if it helps. If you don't have TweakUI, you can find it here:

www.zdnet.com/downloads/stories/info/0,10615,17590,00.html

I'm not sure how to make this a link, so copy and paste it in your browser.

Hope this helps y'all.

Charles

Comment

Fascinating. Is there any way of controlling this without Tweak Ui, for example by manipulating registry settings?

Thanks for the discovery,
            Bill
            Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

I'll dig into the registry and get back with anything I find.

Comment

It appears that the easiest way is to use TweakUI. Toggling this on and off makes many changes to one registry key. If I find out anything more, I'll let you know.

Charles

Comment

Have you got a start-up form ?

Comment

To All:

Thanks Again - I've used TweakUI ever since I found it on the first machine I built. I still [quickly] haven't found the 'Focus' thing, but will certainly look into it. I probably should have posted that a sys_send_keys - ESC has worked in the meantime. Like Tom Cone I also have an init that places focus on one of my menu selections.

Jean Bedard - Yes I have a startup form. Real Original name too, 'Main Menu' [pretty creative eh?]

POS with barcode. No it doesn't have it. I did an app in A4 for a guy in St.Louis but it only processed the reading of codes, didn't generate them.

Thanks again to all

Ken the Newbie.

Comment

HI,

All I have done is to put this on the first form that loads in the on_init:

sys_send_keys("{ESC}")

I know how some people feel about using sys_send_keys, but as my college friend used to say, "It's crude but effective". I don't think he was referring to me, but now that I think about it, I heard him say it alot when I was around. Hmmm.?

Jay Talbott
                      Jay Talbott
                      Lexington, KY

Comment

Hi again, Charles,

Thanks very much for your efforts.

My reason for wondering whether we can cut Tweak_ui out of the process is that I am at an educational institution with between 3 and 4k machines. Our tech support people favor standard setups so when a machine fails or is replaced the setup can be ghosted on to it from the network. For example, students always find ways to screw up lab machines. The techs don't debug; they just rebuild--simultaneously--as many machines as they need to. So it would be nice to know the settings.

Of course, we might use tweak_ui on the template machines but I wonder whether settings created with it would transfer cleanly to destination machines which did not have it....

I love windows.

Bill
                        Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

Hi Jay,

I discovered a problem with this solution which you should know about.

It works in W98 on the two machines in my office which have the focus problem.

My W95 machine does not have the focus problem. However, the code throws the opening form into change mode.

So I removed the code because of the variability of its consequences.

I haven't tried it on my ME machine.

Bill
                          Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

Bill,
                            I use the ESC key idea on Win 95 without a problem. But my first opening form has enter and change restricted since it is only a menu screen. Do you have any OnKey events for the opening form?

Jerry

Comment

Jerry,

I don't know. Have to look. It is part of a logon and setup routine so there is lots of stuff happening there.

However, my W95 machine does not have the focus problem so I do not need the code. If I add the code and open the application on this machine I get this problem.

So this prompts me to wonder whether your W95 machine presents the focus issue. If so, we're back to the setup question. Why do some machines have it and others not and can we devise a solution which works cleanly for both classes of machine.

Bill
                              Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

Like this
                                There can be only one.

Comment

Working...
                                X