Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Ira Perlow re: Indexes/unable to add key to tag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ira Perlow re: Indexes/unable to add key to tag

Ira,

Because you were kind enough to try to help with the problems I have had with "unable to add key to tag" and record locking messages, I want to respond more fully and accurately to your last message to me on the subject ( Msg ID 23714).

First, although I know Alpha 5 is not a client-server database and although I am sure you know more about all of this than I do, I am pretty sure what you said in Msg ID 23697, conflicts with what Selwyn told quite a long while ago. In part you wrote:

>>...every time a record is accessed (or a group of records), a set of file lockings and unlockings, as well as record locking and unlockings must occur on the network.

RE: Ira Perlow re: Indexes/unable to add key to ta

Ray,

A concurrent (in other words shared) process must always access information that can potentially change in a way that it can be sure that the information is not in a state of change when it accesses it. Otherwise, the interpretation can lead to disasterous results.

Some programs (e.g. FileMakerPro) use 1 file, but Alpha 5 uses as a minimum a DBF and CDX files (and a FPT/DBT if using memo fields) because it chose to remain with the dBase III/IV legacy format. If you use a Set, you must also include the children files too. Alpha Four had it much worse as there were multiple index files. Support files are a bit less of an issue as there are not normally in a state of change (and another key advantage to doing network optimization), but still must use a similar process to make sure two users are not writing to the support files simultaneously.

A complete explanation of this process is relatively complex and not something I am prepared to write here, but here is a rough explanation of why locks occur.

Whenever you have more than 1 file, you must use "Semaphores" to perform an "Atomic" operation. This means, in american english (UK users will have to use an American-Queen's english dictionary), this means flags to perform an indivisible operation.

To access any record, a temporary sequence of operations (taking typically milliseconds) must occur to hold up all other users from changing any of the files involved while you gain access to it. This is why file locks occur. But if you kept a file locked while you actually were simply reading the record, it would take too long for other users to get access to what they needed. Thus you apply a single record lock and then release the file lock. While you have a record lock (and the read and write cases are different), then you can safely access information for that record in all the files associated with the record that is locked. When you are done with it, you must go through a similar reverse process to release the record lock.

What Selwyn was saying, is there is no lasting lock (a record in write mode lock) until a record is placed in change mode.

Probably any index expression having a date field in your application was causing the problem (I'm not sure why, as I use date fields in numerous applications and have never seen your problem), and placing it as a calculated character field in the database, basically meant that the index expression would always access only character data. So that explains why the problem went away, but not why the problem is there in the 1st place. I'm sure it's buried someplace in your methodology, but I also think it would be difficult to track it down too (as most multi-user issues are).

Using a range is basically OK (and I use it a fair bit), but if your filter expression does not really change, you would be better served by moving portions of the filter to the index expression, e.g.

STR(statuscode,1)+STATE+...

Then you could set the range to being from "1" to "1z" (as an example). You could also do things like;

IF(statuscode=2,"0","1")+STATE+... and set the range from "0" to "0z"

The point is that clever index expressions can group data the way that it is best needed, particularlly for specific ranges.

Your range problems may be solvable, I don't have enough info to be sure, but may be the following;

The blank records may be a refresh issue that can be solved with xbasic refreshes/resynch.

Detecting a Fetch beyond the end-of-file and beginning-of-file may be your other problem. These can be detected by storing the current record number, doing a fetch, and seeing if it has changed. You could also do a Fetch first and/or last to force a refresh if needed.

Rather than writing a "2", I would write the user's name into a field indicating he is using it, and blank it when done. This tells you who has control of it.

You could also potentially use error checking in XBASIC to see if you can open a record in change mode. If not, move to the next record. This would save the problem of having to do 2 saves per record.

I hope this helps you some. I've tried to address most of your issues, but let me know if I missed something.

Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
    Computer Systems Design & Associates
    [email protected]
    Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
    Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
    New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
    CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
    CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

RE: Ira Perlow re: Indexes/unable to add key to ta

Ira,

I was initially doing some filtering via an index but thinking that might be the source of my problems I did away with the complex filtering index.

You have given me food for thought. Now if only I had a user to continue my testing. I still have some hope of that happening or I wouldn't still be interested in this problem at all.

Thanks again.

Ray

Comment

Working...
      X