Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Can open database on one station only with Runtime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can open database on one station only with Runtime

Good Morning,

I tried to open a database on more than one station, but it did open only on one.I am using RunTime.

On the second station Runtime opens but I cannot open the database.

Should I compact? If so I guess I will have to close another database(clipper) application linked to my A5 application.

If compacting has to be executed on a regular basis, where can I find an Xbasic program to execute it a given time. Let say at nite.

Thanks in advance for your kind replies

JP

RE: Can open database on one station only with Run

J-P:

Just to be clear, which is it?
    -you can open it on either station but not both at the same time;
    -it opens from one but not from the other.

I assume the runtime is installed on each station and *not* on the server.

The application's folder is mapped the same on both stations.

Somebody will figure out what's wrong. Don't worry about having to compact. That almost certainly has nothing to do with your current hangup.

Bill
    Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

Bill,

Thanks for your reply,

I also have Runtime on the server, should I uninstall it?

To make sure I am using the same path I open the database through the File Open, go to the server directory where the application is stored and select it.

I did not have that problem a few days ago.

As soon as I can close the linked clipper application, I will compact and retry.

Just to make sure I am doing things right, is it better to compact at the server, or from a station? As mentionned before we do not have any information on compacting in the books or on Dr.Wayne site.Do you know where I can find some.

Thanks again

JP

Comment

JP,

1) Is it always the same workstation which cannot connect?

0r

2) Is it the always the second workstation to attempt the connection which fails?

-- tom

Comment

Hi Tom,

It was always the same station, but as I said I compacted the database after I close the linked Clipper Application and it works then.

May be it has something to do with indexing!

My application, as I mentionned previously to Bill, is linked different ways to our accounting system where we process the invoices and keep the customer and the suppliers tables up-to-date.

That Clipper application is DOS based and quite large (10 years of transactions). Does DOS based aplication work differently than Windows.?

For now it is working fairly well, some stations are faster than others, but once it is all loaded it works at an acceptable speed.

I will check in the morning if everything is still working OK.

Thanks to both of you for your replies, it is really comforting (I dont know if it is an english word?), you know what I mean...!

Regards

JP

P.S: Does anyone knows of an Xbasic code that will compact the application, let say at nite when nobody is working on the server?

Comment

I agree with Bill and do not think compacting your database will solve your problem.

Can you tell us what kind of error message you get when you try to open the database from the workstation that is giving you the trouble?

Can you tell us whether you are logging on to the server and running Alpha Five from there, or whether you are running it from the local workstation?

If this workstation can never open the database, even when the other workstations are not using it, then I'd check your network connections between the workstation and the server. Are you certain the troubled workstation can "see" the server? Does the server permit this workstation to share its resources? i.e. does this workstation have permission to write changes to the server?

-- tom

Comment

This seems reminiscent of a problem I had when I first used network optimization. Being unfamiliar with its inner workings, I inadvertantly allowed one of the work stations to perform a network optimize and overwrite the source database on the server with that workstation's set of optimization files. Everything looked normal, but only that station could open the database from that point on. I was forced to restore from a backup copy. Since then, I have eliminated the chance of a workstation overwriting the source database.

Tom Lyon (seems there are a LOT of Toms around here!)

Comment

Hi Bill and Tom and Tom...

If you read my previous message, I have compact my database and it works now.

May be I am not doing things the way it should. Here is what I do to optimize from any workstation.

In order to make sure I using the right path to my application, here is how I do it by steps:

From a workstation
                1-I open Runtime
                2-I open my application using
                -file
                -open database
                -select the server
                -open the application "serveur_acmegestiondatabase
                for registre"
                3-Select Table/set tab from the control panel
                4-Select file
                5-Select Network optimize
                6-Replace the existing Shawdow database with the new one

Is it the right way to do it???

In the server directory where my application is stored, I also have some files that seems to be duplicates such as:

Database(1) for registre .muf 0Ko
                Database(1) for registre alpha five database 5Ko
                Database(1) for registre .alb 1Ko
                Database(1) for registre .alm 1Ko
                Database(1) for registre.alx .alx 3Ko

and this repeats for(2),(3),(4), and for some other tables too.

I do not know where these come from.May be because I have opened the table independently from the database.

Concerning the problem it was on the second station I was trying to open, not always on the same one.

Thanks again for the time you take to help me. I appreciate it.

JP

Comment

Hi:

When you start your app you should be starting from the shadowed version already on your workstation.

On your C drive you have the following path (where "|" is the slash)

C:|Program Files|A5v4_Runtime|Shadow|"Folder Name"|"Your App Name".ADB

Your App Name.ADB is what you double click on to start your app and start Runtime. Better yet Right click and create a short cut to put on your desktop. Then you doubleclick on the icon, start Runtime with your app starting.

Doing this will eliminate re-Network Optimizing and allow the runtime to run on other workstations.

Hope this helps:
                  Dan
                  Dan

Dan Blank builds Databases

Comment

Dan,

I will follow your wise suggestion, and it will make things easier for everyones on the network.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Regards

JP

Comment

Working...
                    X