Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Speed in xbasic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speed in xbasic

I have posted this problem before. This time I have attached a zip file that contains a working version of the application in question. The zip file contains a Readme.Txt that explains how to run the application and the application components.

I find the operations in A5 run quickly, but the processing files in xbasic extremely slow by comparison.

Furthermore, adding more horsepower to the hardware is an unacceptable solution. The current version of this applicaton is run in clipper on the same hardware and software environment. Time to process 10,000 records from import to export is 20 seconds versus 20 minutes in A5.

the bulk of the time is generated in the xbasic processing.

any help to improve performance is appreciated.

thank you

bob

RE: Speed in xbasic

Bob just started looking at your files and find that you have your table pointers directed exactly to your machine, ie. error one is cannot find D:download|.... I beleive it would take me too long to change your tables/scripts for the default directory so that anyone can test your codes Jack

Comment

Robert,

First let me say that I admire your coding discipline. While I don't understand all your conventions, I can tell that it is painstakingly constructed and exemplifies the the best of everything I have ever heard taught.

My old Toshiba 325CDS (233mhz) has a 4 gig drive partitioned into c and d drives and I was able to recreate yur directory structure and successfully run your application. This is a machine that by today's standards would be better suited to being a boat anchor if it was a little heavier. After entering the data as indicated, I received the "No customer records" "Record count is 0" in something under thirty seconds. Several reports preview with no records shown or the "there are no pages in the layout" messages.

From start to finish the whole process takes less than a minute on my machine.

You don't state in this message what your present hardware configuration is. If you are moving from a Clipper (DOS) based application to A5 (Windows) based application then your speed problem is not Alpha but Windows.

If what I have described gives you any clues to something else I need to do to make it run more as you designed, let me know.
      There can be only one.

Comment

Anyone who decides to give this a shot-----

There is a table "tblImportDirectory" that holds a path which needs to be edited to contain values which are valid on your machine.

Again......

nice code here
        There can be only one.

Comment

Robert:

When confronted with such tightly and elegantly written code, one is apt to hesitate before offering any suggestions. So the following is tendered gingerly!

If I am correct that the greatest amount of time is consumed validating the fields in the EditPurchase script, I wonder if the validation functions are somehow causing the batch_begin() and batch_end() to fail so you are not realising any benefit there. I really don't know, just speculating.

I have found that imports and appends in A5 are fast, even when you are converting/validating data in the process. Would it be possible to shift at least some of the validations out into the appends? For example, define an expression for each field in the append - all your UDFs will be available in the expression box, you may be able to use them as they are - and then check to see if there is any speed improvement.

All conjecture, of course.

Finian
          Finian

Comment

Bob, I could not run your scripts because of pathing errors. Is it possible the tables to be imported were also omitted by mistake?

The script seems to crash in the import routine used at end of the beginPurchcust script. The error message refers to folders on Drive D:, and of course as things would have it, I don't have a drive D:, or the folders mentioned therein.

Will be glad to investigate this further, but need a bit more help from you to be able to replicate the issue.

Can you set this up so it will run on Drive C:, and can you verify that all necessary tables are there? (They probably are, but I can't get past the errors far enough to tell...)

-- tom

Comment

Bob, even though I couldn't run the scripts, I was able to read them over. The script in question validates and massages the data in the table, using a series of validation or check functions you have defined. It's really quite an elegant approach, as others have noted.

You might try stepping through the script once again, especially the functions, to verify that the tables which are being used to lookup various values are not being opened and closed for each record being validated. This would slow things down considerably. They should be opened once, and then closed at the end (unless I'm way off the mark here!)

-- tom

Comment

One other thought... since the validations often require you to fetch_find() a related record in a lookup table, you should carefully check the properties of the value being searched for... Is it possible for example, that the keyvalue doesn't quite match the indexkey specified for each validation routine? Are the indices on the lookup tables present and working? Would it help to do a fetch_first() after each fetch_find() to reposition the record pointer in the lookups?

Most of your code works in memory, and should be very fast... I'd focus my inquiry on the routines which fetch data from the disk and then compare it to values in the table being validated...

-- tom

Comment

Bob, after correcting folder referrences in the file_control table and the tblimportdirectory table, I got your form to run.

The import and validtion routine produces a msg box which says no customers were present, but then preview a report for SPR purchases.

Total lapsed time on my 500mhz Celeron pc is about 20 seconds.

I'm not running on a network, and don't know if you are working stand alone, also, or not.

-- tom

Comment

Stan:
                    Clipper is dos based and it is fast.
                    if the problem is windows then i will stop converting to Access. scince that too will be windows based. The time to process has been long. a straight read of the imported editpurchase file requires 73 seconds. compared to 10 seconds of importing and appending the same 7600 records using the operations commmands built in to A5.

This would indicate to me that the file handling is different in the operations mode.

The code is a mix of the old names from existing code in clipper. I was to lazy to go back and change. Newer code reflects a more stingent attempt to identify items and thier purpose without extra documentation.

The zero count means the customer records failed the edit. I must check the down load of the file. I will put it out with a drive "C" designation and a single drive. All file access should be controlled through the FILE_CONTROL.dbf fields and the tblImpDirectory dbf.

thanks for your response I will attempt to download the system single directory access based on the "C" drive only.

again thanks for your insight.

bob adler

Comment

Finian:
                      I have run debug on smaller files and did not observe any problem with the batch_begin batch_end process.

all files are opened once at the start of the editing process and closed at the end of the process.

I have started to include some editing in the append process, but this program is intended to handle input data from 60+ vendors. They work from standard file layouts, but do not follow them. They send data that does not conform to our main process. This small system is intended to replace 300 programs.

So editing done in the append process may be risky. But i will explore any option that would reduce the time to process.

again thanks for your input.

bob adler

Comment

Tom:

my programs are run stand alone right now. My pc is a 300mhz intel processor with 128mg memory. the time to run this set of files is 12 minutes on this pc. if the system is run on the NT network it takes 20 minutes(the machine is running a 10mhz card). a faster pc will do better and at least match the stand alone time.

but i have never seen times like yours.

i am in the process of reducing file I/O by testing the search fields for duplication. If the prior input field equals the new input field the file is not read and the previos match is used. This has reduced the time by 40 seconds. still keeping the overall time at 12 minutes. 5 minutes on the editpurchase.dbf.

i will check further to see if their are settings on my pc that may permit the process to go faster.

thanks for your help and guidance.

bob adler

Comment

Bob:

That will be a big help since I haven't had the time so far to do more than read the scripts.

Finian
                          Finian

Comment

Bob, can you measure time lapse for chunks (a technical term, to be sure) of your scripts, displaying the results in a series of msg boxes as the script works its way to conclusion? Maybe that will shed light on where the delays are occurring.

Here, the import seems to finish in less than 5 seconds.

Using the data you supplied the only report which prints is the first one, rptNoPurchDays. Both rptPurchNoCustsummary and rptPurchNoTotalRecord report no matching records, so nothing prints. Is your timelag spread equally among these reports?

-- tom

Comment

tom:

the time tests in a5 are done with the following code borrowed from a5:
                              dim t1 as n
                              dim t2 as n
                              t1 =toseconds(time())

script or operation executes

t2=toseconds(time())
                              trace.writeln("time Purch"+str(t2-t1))

you just have to view the trace table in view at the end of the run.

I am reposting the application.

thanks again

bob adler

Comment

Working...
                              X