Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Exact location of field according to Screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exact location of field according to Screen

When looking at a form and finding the location of a field, you can easily find it based on the form. However, if you scroll through the form the field moves but its location (since based on the form) remains the same. How do you find the location of a field object contained within a form according to its location on the screen? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Jack

RE: Exact location of field according to Screen

I'm not sure I understand your question but I'll try to advise as I see things. The field location is fixed relative to the form - that doesn't change. The field location is variable relative to a given screen point, say the top left corner, since as you scroll through the form, the field moves relative to that point.

If you are trying to find a way of referencing a field location relative to "top left pixel of screen" say, I don't think this can be done. What would the location be if the form is minimized?
    There can be only one.

Comment

That is what I thought, however should I desire to have a form popup under a
      field (instead of using dropdowns--> I hate the always present frame and button) I seem to only be able to have this happen if the form stays maximized. if I move the field (via scrolling) then my popup form will become visable in the exact same location regardless of the field. I am trying to have the popup form follow the field. Jack

Comment

I'm not sure what your popup form is to display or do. If you are showing a list of choices for data entry or the like, have you tried making your form "dialog" style rather than popup. The advantage would be to force a choice before any other action, such as scrolling.
        There can be only one.

Comment

Thank you stan for your suggestion and comments, however I think I need to give more details, so here we go.
          Here is what the problem (If this was a problem) is. I have a
          form with Fields called category1 through Category15. Each category is the same
          field repeated 15 times for 15 records. ( I am duplicating a browse sheet) Each
          category should be a dropdown list, but I do not like the button on the list box
          and drop down list. I therefore designed a form with the lookup detail.

The form is deisgned for the formsize function, I have
          the form size designed for the largest viewing size 1028 pixel. Therefore when I
          view the form at the smallest setting some of the fields are not visable from the
          screen. To see the other fields I must scroll down.

I can get the exact location using the form top left and the fields top
          left. (It seems that a conversion of 96 times is the closest I can come, although this is not always
          accurate, the first 5 fields work well, but 6 through 9 have increasing spaces
          between the field and the form, and 10-13 are exponetially greater while 14 and 15
          do not appear on the form at all) But if I scroll the form, the top stays the same
          and the field stays the same. Therefore my form that I am calling as a lookup will
          still popup at the same location as before, except it will not appear under the
          desired field. (this field as scrolled up or down from the screens view)

I have tried:
          every combination of the user object. I thought that this object may give me the
          exact location according to the screen, not the form. I believe that the only one
          that will work is the OnMouse event using the cursor, however, most people will be
          using the keyboard to advance from field to field. The mouse would be completely
          uneffective. ANY IDEAS? Jack

Comment

I don't know how well it would work and can't visualize exactly what you are doing, but investigate sub-forms. They can be hidden until you want to see them, activated and shown through xbasic, and will stay on the form where you put them.

Shouldn't be all that complicated, though tedious.
            There can be only one.

Comment

Thanks Stan, I really was looking for a more universal approach, however, I believe you are right, I will have to have a subform placed where I would like to to be seen when a field is activated, changed etc.

Comment

Working...
              X