Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Multiple Event Timers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple Event Timers

I have tried to accomplish the following using Quattro Pro 9 and have failed. It is central to my application. Can I do this with Alpha Five?

Start Time Stop Time Interval

Event 1
    Event 2
    Event 3
    Event 4

I want to start timing Event 1 by selecting a button or pressing a function key, and then randomly start timing Event 2 or 3 or indicating the stop time of any event by pressing a button or selecting something on screen.

I tried to use the @NOW function of Quattro Pro but it recalculated the start time to the current time when the stop time is invoked. The Interval is always zero.

I would buy Alpha Five if it would accomplish this task.

Any comments would be welcome.

Carl

RE: Multiple Event Timers

Seems very easy to do with the use of variables, wher tme1Evt1 is the start time the button is pressed.
    Tme1evt1=totseconds(time())
    tme1evt1END-totseconds(time()) When stop button is pressed
    Subtract the two and use one of the converting time funtions to calc the time for each event and log it in a table. There are many ways to do this. I am sure others will help as well.

Comment

Jack,

I don't fully understand the syntax, but the fact that it can be done is the important thing to me.

Thanks.

Carl

Comment

I think Jack is right.

Just to be certain, I read that what you want is to have what amounts to four stopwatches on a form which you can use (one or all at once or anything in between)independently of one another?

If this interpretation is correct, Jack is right and it would be a snap to implement.

If you don't mind my asking, why do you want to do this?

Bill
        Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

I'm trying to automate the operations desk of a soaring school. The school gives lessons, rides, rents sailplanes and tows sailplanes for individual owners. It's not unusual to have a bus load of customers come from resort hotels or conference centers in the area. At that time, there may be up to 30 people standing in line to be assigned to a sailplane and pilot.

The takeoff and landing time of each flight has to be entered in addition to the passengers name, the tow plane ID and its pilot, the sailplane ID and its pilot, the altitude of the tow, purchase price of any merchandise bought, total charges and how paid.

This is now entered into a printed form by hand, the price of the ride or lesson is calculated by hand and then later this information is keyboarded into a computer for use in calculating the pay for the pilots and the time on the sailplanes for knowing when 100 hour inspections are due.

Since the lengths of the flights vary, you may launch several sailplanes before any land, and they do not necessarily land in the order they took off.

It would be desirable to have the information displayed one row to a flight and to be able to select the flight in question, select the operation (takeoff or landing) and then push a function key or someway enter the current time in that cell. Sometime you are busy on the phone and you realize the flight landed 3 minutes ago, so you would have to be able to overwrite the time or say -3 from current time.

Entering these data is one of the bottlenecks in the operation, so it would be undesirable to have to bring up screens and go back and forth between an entry display and the display of the current state of all the flights for the day.

This is probably more information about the problem that you want, but you asked for it.

Carl

Comment

Can be done in lots of different ways. My thought would be to build around a single transaction type table, with fields for Customer (or CustomerID), Sailplane ID, Pilot ID, Flight start time, Flight end time, Flight Duration. Use field rules and lookups so Flight Duration is calculated as End time - Start time. Times are default values set to current time as you give the field focus, but you can enter manually to override. Alpha Five would easily fill the bill for this application.

Steve Williams

Comment

Bill,

Thanks for your encouragement. I just entered an online order for Alpha 5, the documentor and the two books.

I'll give it the old college try.

Carl

Comment

Greetings Carl and Jack,

Please forgive me for jumping in on your dialog, but I too, am tring to develop a "stopwatch effect" and I am struggling with the concept. I am coming from A4V6 and have made the big jump. A5 ia truly a leap further than A4 as much as I hate to admit it. But the learning curve is a bit more than I had anticipated.

My client wishes to track billable time.

No problem!
                number as n
                start_time as c
                end_time as c
                c_billable_time as n

There are other fields but this is all I needed to get started. I have the database set up where it will track a client number and calculate times. Everything works fine, the start_time starts immediatly with a new record but the end_time isn't entered until the cursor enters that field. These two fields are calculated so that my customer cannot adjust his time.

This works great except it's ugly and I would like to make a form with a start button and a stop button. After several attempts to accomplish this I have come to the divine knowledge that I do not understand how to do this. Can someone please give me some direction.

I have tried to use xbasic explorer and I still struggle with the concept. Please feel free to email me or post your message here. I would be grateful for any advice and am willing to try anything.

Thanks,
                Dwayne Atwood
                Atwood & Associates

Comment

I use this for may start button:
                  ''XBasic
                  dim tp as p
                  dim tm as c
                  parentform.commit()
                  tp =table.current()
                  tm=time("0h:0m:0s am")

tp.change_begin()
                  tp.starttim=tm
                  tp.change_end()
                  starttim.refresh()

:Work_Order.activate()
                  :Work_Order:Problem.activate()
                  :Work_Order:Tables:MAINTANCE_LOG.change_begin(HONOR_FIELD_RULES)
                  and this for the stop button:
                  ''XBasic
                  dim tp as p
                  dim tm as c
                  parentform.commit()
                  tp =table.current()
                  tm=time("0h:0m:0s am")

tp.change_begin()
                  tp.endtim=tm
                  tp.change_end()

endtim.refresh()
                  :Work_Order.activate()
                  :Work_Order:Solution.activate()
                  :Work_Order:Tables:MAINTANCE_LOG.change_begin(HONOR_FIELD_RULES)

The values are posted to different fields and a calc field has this
                  expression:
                  case(toseconds(endtim)>toseconds(starttim),totime(toseconds(endtim)-toseconds(starttim),1,2),.t.,totime(toseconds(endtim)+24*3600-toseconds(starttim),1,2))

Its works Hope this helps.
                  Nick

Comment

Nick,

Thank you for responding so promptly. I was out of town and had to wait until I returned to veiw the board again for any responses.

I have copied your script and will give it a try today. Thanks again.

IS THIS BOARD GREAT OR WHAT!!!

Dwayne Atwood
                    Atwood & Associates

Comment

Working...
                    X