Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Corrupted Indexes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corrupted Indexes

The Index names in two tables of my database continually get truncated to 10 Characters every time I compact the database. Renaming then rebuilding the index names allows the indexes to work fine until the next time the database is compacted.

I've tried the following things but still have the same problem.

-Packed all of the tables.
    -Re-evaluated all of the field Rules.
    -Opened every form, Browse, Report, label and operation in the database to test and corrected any references to fields/groupings that have been renamed or deleted.

I created a new database and brought over one of the tables with corrupted Indexes. I deleted all of the field rules and all other forms, reports, operations etc. but still had the same problem. It wasn't until I started editing the structure and had removed all but the first 4 fields in the table that the index problem went away.

I tried creating a new table from scratch (I didn't duplicate or cut and Paste)but at some point that got corrupted too.

I also am getting a message about "Invalid Tag Name" when recreating the long names for the indexes.

Any Ideas,

Thanks,

Mike Becker

RE: Corrupted Indexes

It seems fairly obvious that there is something in Alpha that doesn't care for index tag names longer than 10 characters. Is that a limitation you can't live with? It might be clearer to be able to name a tag customer_last_name_plus_middle_initial, but is it necessary?
    There can be only one.

Comment

Thanks for the Response Stan.

I'm sure that I could live with index names of 10 characters or less but I'm not ready to give up yet. I've been using Alpha 5 for several years now and have never had this problem. What kills me is that Out of the 22 tables in the Database only 2 of them are having this problem and in another database with more than 50 Tables the problem does not exist at all.

I'll keep working on it for now.

Mike Becker

Comment

Mike,

I get an index truncated in this way every so often. I have never been able to pin down why. I have decided to leave any of my indexes which get truncated with the shorter name and edit code which references to it to suit the new name. Whenever I define a new index I give it a short name.

There's enough to do in this life without having to chase ghosts.

Bill
        Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

RE: Corrupted Indexes & long names

Continuing what Bill said, I have not only kept index names shorter than 10, but have made sure that names for forms, custom menus, etc. are also shorter, for this reason:

I had a custom menu called STANDARD (only 8 long), and assigned it to several forms. Then, during the app development, I created two more called STANDARD_SUPT and STANDARD_BROWSE. After doing this, some of the forms that had one menu now had another! I think it's because Alpha sorted them using the first 8 characters only, and this resulted it their being mixed up.

Moral: If I use long names (which I try to avoid), I make sure the first 8 characters are unique.

Comment

RE: Corrupted Indexes & long names

Thanks for the help guys,

Bill, I like your Idea of making sure the first 8 characters are unique. I'm off to shorten the Index names now.

Mike Becker

Comment

I have read of reports in the past where people have said that long index names were getting corrupted.

I have never been able to duplicate this, and without being able to duplicate it, we cannot address it.

If you have a situation that you can duplicate that truncates long index names, I would be most appreciative if you could send me files that demo the bug. We can then address it.

Tahnks.

Comment

I think that if the developers of Alpha5 would include an object for index-description, just as they did in Aplha4, then the short index name would be not a problem. However, when using many indexes for one table, it becomes very difficult to remember what a short name index is for. I do not think that a long-name index is necessary. I also do not think that this problem should be solved by writing a script, for not all Alpha users are capable of writing scripts. It would also be helpful, if Alpha5 would include a field-description object, just like Access does, so that one would be able to enter some information as to what that field is been used for. Another suggestion is a modeless-entry option for every form and browse. Many offices have people working the computer who are not very familiar with Alpha5 and errors in entry of data can be very costly. I would also suggest to increase the size of the box for choosing an index, finding a record and for building an expression. Finally, I think Alpha4 had many advantages, and if some of those advantages could be retained in Alpha5, than do so.

Comment

Once in a great while I too have this problem. My strategy is to leave the tag names truncated and adjust other code to suit. That way the situation is settled. Finished. Done with.

In general I use a long name when it is necessary but not merely because it is possible. Who needs the grief.

Bill
                  Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

Selwyn,

I have seen the problem enough times that I no longer use index names longer than 10 characters. Unfortunately, there seems to be no consistent pattern to the problem. The following conditions seemed to make the possibility more likely.

1. More that 10 indexes, at least some with more than 10 characters.
                    2. Duplicating or copying the table, either from the control panel or xbasic.
                    3. Tables being used in sets.
                    4. Compacting the tables.
                    5. Zipping up the tables for archiving and then restoring the files.

Usually, the problem doesn't occur unless there is some combination of the above and even then it is rare. Whatever is happening, the data dictionary seems to become corrupted or can't be found or opened temporarily.

I currently use a table I call idxdata for any action that needs the index name to be displayed. This table has fields for the saved index name, saved table name, index expressions, index filters, index flags, a display name up to 40 characters, and a logical field to indicate if the index can be displayed to the user. With this table I can recreate any corrupted index and create a list of indexes for the user using the long display name.

Jerry

Comment

Jerry,

Table fieldnames that are longer than 10 characters are stored in the data dictionary, not in the DBF itself. Table fieldnames that are 10 chars or fewer in length are stored directly in the DBF. It occurs to me that some of the situations you describe might cause you to move or copy just the DBF, and not the related dictionary files. In this situation the fieldnames in the table get truncated (I believe) because the longnames are not part of the DBF itself. Wonder if this is what you are seeing?

-- tom

Comment

Tom,

In addition, I think that in certain crashes the dictionary can become corrupt and the long names lost. I don't know this, just suspect it. Can't reproduce it; don't want to.

Bill
                        Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

I have found one of the problems with the "INDEX TRUNCATION", and I have been able to repeat it at will.

The problem is, that if you have a table already created, with "LONG INDEX NAMES", if you restructure you�re the table and change the name of an existing field, the indexes will be truncated.

I have repeated it many times, and on different tables and databases.

Robert

Comment

Working...
                          X