Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Posting Problem 2nd Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Posting Problem 2nd Edition

Ooops, Posted this to Anouncements by mistake. Didn't realize I was in that venue.

Stan, Sylvia & Others,

I have attached a zip file for reference. I created the post from the Operations tab. Was easy enough to do but it doesn't post
    to the Ttlmfip field. I deleted the field rule for the amount_iss in the Issued table.

Thanks for the help!!

kenn
    TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

RE: Posting Problem 2nd Edition

Ken,

I can't see why you think the post operation is not working. Using your files I zeroed the ttlmfip field in the main data table, ran the post, got a message that 31 records were posted (all records report as posted even if the condition fails), opened the main data table checked case number 564400-1, looked at the ttlmfip field, found value of 4096, opened issued table, totaled amount_iss where pgrm=MFIP (six records for 567 and two records for 347) and verified that this total is 4096. What did you think you should get?
    There can be only one.

Comment

Stan,

Yes, you're right. I didn't realize I had to run the operation firts, thought it would automatically post & show. I guess that's where I've been missing the boat. I'll have to revisit past posts as I remember somthing said about it posting and showing automatically.

Thanks,

Kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

I noticed a couple of other things you might consider. The browse on your form should be based on the set rather than the child table alone. That way when you change parent records in the parent table of the set, the child records will "follow" in the browse. For the number of records you are dealing with you won't experience any problems, but you should consider creating indexes on name, cust number, etc and set the order for your browses and forms to one of the indexes.

Good luck.
        There can be only one.

Comment

Stan,

Thanks much. The browse is based on set in my 'real' database. The index is based on the case number which is the only unique field. Some of these folks don't learn and end up in the legal system 2 & 3 times so the names may not work as well. I know I've much to learn about A5 so anytime someone has a suggestion, I'm all ears. If I can save time by learning form other mistakes, trial & error, that's a blessing!

kenn

Comment

I've done the post operation in the field rules as you described and it seems to wook too. Posting from the issued table to the main data table. Take a look at the attached file. I;d be interested to know where our techniques differ.

I' still learning too. I learn more all the time by trying to understand what others are doing and how and trying to solve the problems. I had never used the post from field rules before, now I understand more on how it works.

Hope I didn't sound too preachy or teachy in previous replies.
            There can be only one.

Comment

Stan,

Took a look at it. You set it up exactly as I had it. I added a 2nd posting for FS. ONly difference is the condition. Does not post. I tried to add a record in the browse and couldn't so added a embedded browse under tab 2. Added an record for MFIP ($500) and the total amount didn't change. If it works for you but not for me, is there such a thing as something in my computer that's causing this? Heaven forbid!

I zipped it up for your review.

Thanks, ken

Comment

You've encountered what I was speaking of earlier. Your Issued->Pgrm field is a 4 character field, so if you enter FS Alpha stores it as " FS". To evaluate the condition properly you'll have to use alltrim(@Issued->Pgrm)="FS".

A further note:

The field rules for posting apparently do not "fire" until the record is saved, in other words until you advance to the next child record entry or close the browse and reopen.
                There can be only one.

Comment

Stan,

Yupper do. I've found I have to exit the browse to the main form and the exit that record,. When I come back, it is updated. Not a handy way to go.

Question, I realized that the field I want to post from (source field) is the Amount_Ovr as that the running total of that field will be the total overpayment. I have a field rule already set up subtracting the correct amount form the issued amount. I filled in the post field rule as well. Now the answer I get is shown as (532) rather than 532.

What is your suggestion for showing the totals for each program next to the browse on the tabbed subform so that I don't have to go through all the rigamarow to see the totals? The calculated fields I used earlier worked well but that also has its inherrent problem of slowing things down.

Thanks,

ken

Comment

Stan,

This is NUTS!! I deleted the posting from the field rules and went back to using the post operations. Set up the criteria and created a button to perform the post. Then went to the issued browse and deleted those records. But, "Oh no Mr Bill", even the parent record was deleted. Thought some how I created a new record and hit the back arrow to another record and deleted the records in the browse and whammo, the parent record disappeared. Is this nomal? Automatically deleting a parent record by deleting the child records? Doesn't sound normal to me. The set is defined as no referential integrity so one could delete the parent and still have the child records.

(When I got this little DB back, I thought a couple of records were missing as I haad 4 parent records)

Think I'll invent a cyber toilet to flush corrupted databases and frustrations down. VAROOM! One big flush.

ken

Comment

I may have led you astray. If you did as I suggested and changed the issued browse to be based on the set rather than just the issued table, then when you deleted the records there you were deleting the parent record as well, you just weren't seeing any of the parent data in the browse. You would need to create buttons and scripts to access the child table and delete the records based on the current data displayed in the browse.
                      There can be only one.

Comment

Aaah! So it is best to base it on a table to avoid this? If a person were to enter a couple of records and discover and error, delete the child records and, oooops, history. One thing about learning, tis a bit of trial and error.

ken

Comment

Try the form in the attachment. Look at tab 3 and the form calculated field behind the sum: field.
                          There can be only one.

Comment

I have my posting problem solved for now. Stan Matthews wrote a dbsum expression that I used on a calc field. I had another calc field expression that worked and the suggestion to use the post was to avoid a slowdown due to the calc fields. I do need the totals for each program to show and update w/o having to use the keyboard but I imagine a bit of xbasic would take care of that.

I'm still a bit confused over the post issue as I've learned there are 3 ways to do it, each for a bit different reason. You know what would really be nice? A chart/s which show the Browses, Queries, Posts and other things that have more than 1 way of doing it, that would show a comaprison between each and the reason/s to use them, i.e. the post via field rules vs the post via operations tab. For those who are learning, what a time saver that would be. Even if the chart were on disc, imagine what all could be added to that. If someone wanted to take on that project, no doubt you'd have a lot of takers.

For now, my oxcart is out of the ditch and heading down the road. Thanks to those who contributed. Your patience suggestions are very much appreciated.

kenn

Comment

Working...
                            X