Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Posting Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Posting Problems

I have a parent table called Debtors, and a child table called Payments1. What I would like to do is take the total of account payments and deduct it from DEBTOR table field Placed Balance and post to the Debtors table field Current Balance. I tried to post and I can't seem to get it working. I have a calculated field on a form which had the current balance but I need to export to an excel spreadsheet and I don't know how. I don't know how to use Xbasic. Any help is appreciated.

RE: Posting Problems

You can't post from one table to another using fields from both tables.

You can update fields in a parent table of a set using fields from both tables. Define an update operation for the set instead of trying to post between the individual tables.
    There can be only one.

Comment

Stan,
      Thank you for your advise. How do I get the total of payments for a perticuliar account and deduct that from the starting balance to give me a current balance?

Thank again
      Art

Comment

Total of payments for an account would be derived by using either the dbsum() or tablesum() functions.

If you have an index on payments1 for the account number field and that index is named acctnum and the payments field is named "paid", the founction would be something like

DBSUM("payments1","account",account,"paid")

using tablesum() would look like

TABLESUM("payments1","account = '"+account+"'","paid")
        There can be only one.

Comment

Hello Stan,

Where would I use the DBSUM?

Also I read some more treads and found a tread that you answered. Tread # was 70859

I used the following and it worked really good.
          ptr = table.current() 'get pointer to table
          if ptr.mode_get() " 0 ' check for mode
          PARENT"COMMIT() 'completes any pending change or enter
          end if
          ptr.change_begin() ' put table in change mode
          ptr.current_balance=bal4.value 'write value to table field
          ptr.change_end(.t.) ' confirm change
          current_balance.refresh() 'show change on form
          end

Is there a way to change all the account balances using an operation? Instead of going account for account. Going forward the above will work fine, I put it on the next account button. I have approx 5 thousand accounts and really do not want to do it one at a time.

Thank you for all your help.

Art

Comment

When I reread all the messages here and consider what you are attempting, I may have given you bad advice. You don't want to run an update multiple times which subtracts all payments from the debtor balance, you only want to deduct each one once.

You really do want a posting operation which subtracts the non-posted payments from the balance, and changes a flag in the payments1 table to indicate that the payment has been posted.

I'll construct a small sample as a demo and post it later.
            There can be only one.

Comment

I really don't understand the purpose of your "placed balance" field. In this example of my thoughts on what you want, the saved post operation subtracts payments (only once) from the current balance.

You might be able to modify it to suit your needs or at least get some ideas.
              There can be only one.

Comment

Hello Stan,

To explain the placed balance field. When my company receives an account for debt collections we are passed a beginning balance, I call it the place balance. I developed a collection program which has been in use for 2 years, adding changes as they are needed. I ran into a problem when my company began outsourcing the accounts to other collection agencies. I was using a calulated field on my form and reports to show the current balance. Deducting payments made and adding back either interest, legal fees etc. However since I must send the outsourced agency the accounts in an excel format I could not capture the calculated field. So I needed to create a new field called current balance which was not calulated for the export.
                Going forward and changes made to an account will automatically update the current balance field.

I hope this explains all.

Thank you so much. I couldn't have acheived my goal without your assistance and others in the forum. Alpha is the best database I have used.

Art

Comment

Stan,

I used your example it worked perfectly. My only question is how do you change the flag to show posted. I added posted to the payments1 table.

Art

Comment

Stan,

I figures out the flag issue.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X