Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Query by Form and Print Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Query by Form and Print Help

Hi,

I cannot seem to figure this out. Even after searching on the topic and finding quite a bit.

I have a form on which I run a query by form which works. I have a browse at the parent level so I can check the results easily.

I have a simple report, with "base report on current selection of records" selected. Now I run my query, and preview my report, but it shows all records.

Two things: the query_by_form is located on a tabbed object, but as I say, it works. And when I exit A5, I have mpx files in my directory. I delete them and try again, but still no go. Again the query itself works.

Is there a way to do this (I can't seem to figure it out):

report.preview( "my report", "Last query", "Order field")

Thanks for taking a look

Tom

RE: Query by Form and Print Help

Tom,

confirm that the report is based on the same set as the form.

If you open the form, run the query, close the form, open the default form for the same set, is the query still in place?

-- tom

Comment

RE: Query by Form and Print Help

Tom,

You got it - I didn't have the report based on the set. I had it based on the parent of the set.

Thank You.. Thank You

Hope to see you in May and thank you in person.

Tom

Comment

Re: Query by Form and Print Help

Dear Tom (Cone),

Since upgrading to v. 8, it seemed to me that reports in which "base report on current selection of records" give the same behavior as Tom Patten reported. I have searched off and on in the message board to find someone else with this problem, and was thrilled to finally find this post. My situation is a bit different apparently:

1. I use find by form to select records (not Query). The find_by_form method is bound to the On_Push event of a button on the form.

2. Both the form and the report are based on the same table (not a set).

I thought the last item was the problem after reading your post, but it isn't. The strange thing is that this same report seemed to work fine in the previous two to four versions (I'm not sure when I first created it), but doesn't now. It DOES work if I do a query, so I decided to to change the XBasic to query_by_form(). That worked, but it does cause a slight inconvenience to the user: now they must use a wildcard symbol (*) if they do not want to type the entire string in a field. With find_by_form, they only had to get the first part correct.

Do you know of any way to pass the current query to the report if one uses Find By Form? The query shows up in the "Select Index/Query" list window, so I don't understand why it isn't passed. Also, I think I used this method in version 7 and it worked. Could it be that some code in Alpha Five v. 7 wasn't inherited by v. 8? (I guess I could reinstall v. 7 and redo the form to test this, but I don't think I want to do that.)

Comment

Re: Query by Form and Print Help

I never use Find by Form when I'm trying to limit the range of viewable records to a subset of the total range. I use a query to limit the range of viewable records, instead. So far as I know, FBF does not establish a query list that can be used by other processes. i.e. If you run FBF to locate a record and then close the form, what view of the data is presented if you then open the default form for the set? This is what your report layout sees.

Comment

Working...
          X