Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Disappearing forms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disappearing forms

Hi,

I have two forms, both based on the same table. They have different names, eg, one is "form", the other is "form1".

I want to have a script which will effectively backup the table to a different table, using the copy record command, and place a button on the form to run this script.

I have used the script recorder to record the script that I will use, using the copy records genie to do so. The genie works and copies the records.

The problem is that after using the copy records genie the second form disappears; it leaves a copy of the first form in it�s place, including the form name.

I have done this several times with the same result. Is there a problem using the copy records genie?, but I don�t see why it could affect the forms in that way?

I guess it must be the way in which I am using the copy records command, or maybe the way in which I am trying to record it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Brian Dennis.

RE: Disappearing forms

Try a different name for the second form. Entirely different. -- tom

Comment

Hi Tom,
      Thanks for the advice. Tried it and it works of a sort.
      The results seem to be as follows:-
      There are two forms based on the master table, no forms based on transaction table.
      I copy all records to a second table, and overwrite that second table each time.
      -If form names are similar and the dictionaries are copied, one of the forms disappears.
      -If form names are similar and dictionaries are not copied, it works ok.
      -If form names not similar, dictionaries copied, new forms are generated for the second table - ie. working correctly, but would have to rename those forms.

Do you know how dissimilar the form names should be to avoid this problem?
      Does this problem happen in other situations ?
      I like to have similar names to the forms/browses for each part of the application. I guess the easy way is to avoid copying the dictionaries ?

I am setting up the second table as a kind of backup, in case I do something stupid when updating the first table, which I do quite often. One day I can see myself updating "all records" instead of "marked" records.

Thanks for your input,

Brian Dennis.

Comment

Brian,

In Alpha Five each object must have a unique name. (this is actually a requirement of Windows)

It's never a good idea to use names for your custom objects that Alpha Five is already using for it's internal components. So for example, I think it's not a good idea to call a custom form, "Form". Nor is it a good idea to name an object after a built in function, like "Date".

In your case however, these are not the reasons you're seeing the behavior you are getting. Instead, it's another aspect of the 'object naming' rules that Alpha Five follows.
        When you give an object a unique name, but then open two instances of it in the same session, Alpha Five must rename the second instance to keep them separate. It does so automatically by appending a numeric identifier to the end of the original object name. You can see this easily if you drop two copies of a field on to the same form layout. In your original scenario using Form and Form1 the second instance of 'Form' will be renamed 'Form1' by Alpha Five automatically, thereby trashing the real 'Form1' you had previously created. So, inadvertantly, your name for the second form conflicted with the name Alpha had to use when you opened the second instance of the first form.

Hope this helps.

-- tom

-- tom

Comment

Hi Tom,
          Yes, it explains things well.
          -I haven�t named any forms "forms", I just used that to explain things; but I�ll be sure to avoid those kind of names.
          -I�ll have forms which I would have names as "client1", which in future I'll make "clientA", "clientB", etc.
          -Is there a way of renaming existing forms? I realise I would have to redo all actions pointing to those forms.

Thannks for the help

Brian

Comment

Brain

To rename a form, open it in design mode and then under "File" from the menu, select "Save AS" with a new name. Then delete the first form. You should also compact the database when done to remove the deleted form information.

Jerry

Comment

Doesn't the Copy Records command create a new table? If so, and if you copy the data dictionary, the new table will have all the same layouts as the original table - including the names.

If you really want to keep the other form, create the backup table and modify/rename the form as necessary. Then, to run a backup, open the table, zap the existing data, and append the data from the original table.

FWIW: My A5v4 backup routines use File.copy() to copy either just the data files (.dbf,.fpt, and optionally the .cdx) or just the app files (.se*,.a*,.dd*) to a different folder (or drive, floppy, zip drive, etc.).

Comment

Jerry,
                Thanks, got it now.
                Brian

Comment

Cal,
                  Thanks, yes - my main problem wss that I was copying everything and thus generating another bunch of all forms, etc.
                  As well as that I was using the name of the first form with a "1" after it as the name of the second. Thanks to this message board I now know better.

Thanks to everybody for the help.

Brian.

Comment

Working...
                  X