Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Can't Delete Variable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't Delete Variable

I have a Variable "Invoice_Number" That I was practicing with for a report, along with some other variables. For some reason I can't get it deleted. The others I had No problem with.It seems to be Global because it shows up in the Design Drop down list in all Tabs. "reports, Forms,etc.
    I have deleted it out of "Variable Defination" box But it still shows up in the Drop Down list in design mode. I deleted the reports that it was for but it still shows up. I have looked everywhere possible that I could think of to find it and everything is blank except for the design drop down list or the "XBbasic Explorer" list under "Actions".
    When I view the "Actions" From any of the design and click on the "+" next to Variables it shows "INVOICE_NUMBER="SR000"". That number is the first Invoice number and when I had the report it would bring up that invoice number in print preview and would be the only record viewable, I couldn't go to the next record or to the last.
    I don't know if this isn't really a concern to delete it or just ignore it and go on and recreate variables for what I want them for.
    Any help or suggestions appreciated

Thanks
    Allen

RE: Can't Delete Variable

Go to the interactive window and type

delete invoice_number

and press enter. This will delete the variable from memory. Once a global is saved in memory, it exists until Alpha is closed or it is deleted with a delete statement

Jerry

Comment

RE: Can't Delete Variable, Interactive Window

This is where I might be knivee. Where is the interactive window that you are talking about.

Second. Is there a way to make a variable such as I had and have the "SR" part of it as default and All I would have to do is just type in the digits of the Invoice Number that I want to Print.

Thanks again
      Allen

Comment

While viewing the control panel you should see, near the top left, icons for "create new database", "open database", and "close the current database". (Different permutations of a folder icon)

To the right of this you should see a big question mark and the words "Interactive Window" on a button to open same.
        There can be only one.

Comment

This is where I might be knivee. Where is the interactive window that you are talking about.

Second. Is there a way to make a variable such as I had and have the "SR" part of it as default and All I would have to do is just type in the digits of the Invoice Number that I want to Print.

Thanks again
          Allen

Comment

I don't know if the last reply came thru, I didn't finish and hit a key somewhere and everything dissapeared. Will
            try again.
            I forgot to mention that I have A5V4 and the question mark wasn't there but I the "View"-"Code Editor" I went to the "Interactive" window and type in "Delete Invoice-Number" without the " " then the ENTER key as Jerry said and the "Invoice_number" deleted; temperarely. I saved after the delete operation then exited the application then restarted to see what would happen. Went back to the control panel and design mode for reports and again the Invoice_Number was listed under "Variables"; Went thru and redeleted in the interactive window again for all reports,browses,forms, and tables. saved at each delete, then It still returned.
            Any other suggestions or am I up against a blank wall and hope it doesn't interfear with the application in anyway.

Thanks Again
            Allen

Comment

Allen

If the variable retirns, it is still specified somewhere. One of the things I like to do to reduce the possibility of forgetting where I defined the variable is to dim all global variables in a autoexec startup script. If it will be global, it will be available everywhere anyhow, so I define it on startup. I make maintenance later much easier, since I know where the definition resides.

Jerry

Comment

If you are in the design mode for a form, choose the "Form" menu at the top. One of the choices under "Form" is "Variables". The same is true for browses, reports, and labels, under the "Browse", "Report", and "Label" menu choices.

If you edit the structure for a table or set, under the "Table" or "Set" menu there is a choice "Global Variables".

These are the most common places for "permanent" variable creation and assignment.

If you find your pesky variable in any of these places, you can then delete it, save and restart, and it should be gone for good.
                There can be only one.

Comment

Thank You all For the help.
                  Stan Yours was the key by editing the structure then clicking on the "V" Icon on the tool bar menu I found the one that said Global. deleted, Saved, Exited, then restarted and it didn't show up when in design mode.
                  Thanks again all

Allen

Comment

Working...
                  X