Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

V4.5 network configuration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V4.5 network configuration

We want to install an existing single user V4.5 application in a 3 user windows XP (0r 98) network. �Is there a basic guide for doing this? From the message board we perceive that some troublesome issues may arise, and we need basic guidelines. Please direct us to sites, articles or documents dealing with network configuration.

RE: V4.5 network configuration

Uou can install A5V4.5 on all three PC's. Map a drive to the PC that will be used as the Server. Create a Database, create or add tables...etc. on the Server. If you have a single-user version, then only one Pc will be able to open the database at any one time. If you have a 3-user license, then 3 PC's will be able to open the same database at the same time.

gm

Comment

With just 3 users I don't think you will have any problems.

I would recommend that you set them up to use Network Optimize at all workstations. If one of the users will be using the 'server' as his own workstation, there is no need for this user to run optimized.

To set a workstation up to use network optimization: (I couldn't find good instructions in the help files!?)

- Install A5 on the workstation. (Full version or runtime.)
      - Start A5 and use Database Open (Open Database??) to open the database that is on the server.
      - Close any run-on-load form and get to the control panel. From the control panel, click File / Network Optimize to create the 'optimized' shadow directory on the local workstation.
      - Create a desktop icon that starts the local, shadowed application.

The basic icon definition should be something like this:
      Full_path_to_Alpha5.exe Full_path_to_shadowed_adb.adb -Various_Options

For example, the Target definition should be something like:

"C:\Program Files\A5v4\Alpha5.exe" "C:\Program Files\A5v4\Shadow\MyAppFolder\MyApp.adb" -nosplash -Title="My Application Title"

And the start in definition should be the same as the .adb folder - without the .adb file:

"C:\Program Files\A5v4\Shadow\MyAppFolder

Please note that quote marks are required by windows any time a folder contains a blank space in the name. (This is one of many reasons that I NEVER leave blank spaces in any folder, table, form, report, or other layout name.)

I believe Alpha requires quote marks around the title even if it is only a one word title.

Final comment: It is possible to create an icon that simply identifies the .adb file and lets Windows decide what program to start it with. DON'T DO THIS. It will only cause problems later. I've run into too many people who have done this then installed a copy of the runtime or a newer version of A5 that they wanted to test before using - as soon as they installed the new version, all the icons that just referenced an .adb file used the new program to start the old application - Oops!

Comment

Oops. I missed the closing quote on:

"C:\Program Files\A5v4\Shadow\MyAppFolder"

Comment

I really appreciate the valuable response provided by contributors to this message board. I will certainly apply your suggestions in our network setup

Comment

I noted that in your icon definition that you point to the shadow directory of your local drive. My database files are located on the G: drive of my server. In my icon I have been pointing to the G: drive for my adb file instead of the shadow.
            I reasoned that the first line in the icon properties should identify the location of the actual database files on the server. Am I wrong? Perhaps this will explain why I have been having such poor performance over the network.

Comment

Working...
            X