Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Need Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help!

I'm having a coding problem. The following code works to pass a loan payment ammount and the contract number to another table and it worked initially for a due date value, but after a bit it stops working.

Tables and fields are:

Tables: Contracts and Payments

Fields: Contract_No and Contract_No
    Payments and Loan_Payment
    Due_Date and Due_Original

Working inline basic code used to call a form named AddPayment

inline basic code #1:

if is_object("addpayment") then
    addpayment.show()
    addpayment.activate()
    else
    :Form.view("addpayment")
    :addpayment.new_record()
    :AddPayment:CONTRACT_NO.Value=Contract->Contract_No
    end if

inline basic code #2
    :AddPayment:LOAN_PAYMENT.Value=Contract->Payments
    end if

Following code works initially but quits eventually

inline basic code #3

:AddPayment:DUE_ORIGINAL.Value=Contract->Due_Date
    end if

all 3 of these are inline basic codes assigned to a button that calls an add payment form.

Any help would be greatly apprciated.

RE: Need Help!

Homer,

I think maybe the problem is in the first script.

The new record is begun only if the form hasn't already been opened.

I'd move these two lines:

:addpayment.new_record()
    :AddPayment:CONTRACT_NO.Value=Contract->Contract_No

so that they follow the end if statement.

That way a new record is begun even if the form has already been loaded.

-- tom

Comment

Tom

Thank you for the response, I tried your suggestion and the other 2 data passes stopped working.

This one has me totally stumped. And when I first set the codes up it worked great for all 3 values.

I was even able to add the data pass below making a total of 4 attemps and it worked great. The one involving a date still has a problem.

Tables: Contracts and Payments

Fields: Contract_No and Contract_No
      Customer_Id and Customer_Id

inline basic code #4

:AddPayment:CUSTOMER_ID.Value=Contract->Customer_Id
      end if

The last one works fine but the one involving a date doesn't.

Comment

One other note, the fields that this code works for are Character and Numeric.

The Date format seems to be the problem, I"m using the standard one ie, 05/12/2003.

I'm also trying to attach a screenshot of the form.

Comment

As far as I can see, the date entry should work BUT I've sometimes had problems when using .value. Try using:

:AddPayment:DUE_ORIGINAL.text=dtoc(Contract->Due_Date )

No guarantees but sometimes I've found that using the .text method is more reliable. Unfortunately, I've never determined exactly why or when. (Note: I've had no problems using .value in v5 so far.)

Possibly in this case it's having a problem because the Contract->Due_Date is blank?????

Comment

Homer,

Why not post a working example of your database here, so we can see the exact context in which your script is running?

I'm at a loss to explain why moving the begin new record code caused the other data 'passes' to fail. I wanted you to simply move it beyond the End If in script#1, not beyond the 'last' End If (in script 3 or 4), so if that's what you did that would explain things.

I'm curious why so many inline action scripts ? It's possible to consolidate them into a single script. This is often easier to debug.

-- tom

Comment

Tom,

Thanks, I was making a copy of my application to send and while pruning the customer data, I found my mistake.

I had been over this atleast 20 times. I guess sometimes you just need to stand way back and look again.

I had re-written my calculated fields to just use the Due_Date in the Contract table and because I did not have that field actually in the form the calculations did not work.

And Cal's sugguestion about a blank field caused me to re-check again the field I was actually trying to check. Because of the name change I was looking at the wrong field which was indeed empty. Thanks Cal

The script does work, I had just become brain dead.

You guys are great,

Thanks a bunch

Comment

Working...
              X