Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

MEMO FIELDS - FURTHER INFO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MEMO FIELDS - FURTHER INFO

First - thanks for the replies so far.

Recap
    1. I am running Alpha Five 4.03 on a PC and Laptop running Windows 2000
    2. The applications I am running are mainly using tabbed forms for data input
    3. Since day one I have had the odd little quirk with memo fields viz:
    Sometimes I would accidentally forget to click on the pen and open the box for data entry but, sometimes it would take what I typed and sometimes not!
    Sometimes having opened the data entry window for the memo field I would type everything in and then click save but nothing would be there - it just seemed to dissappear!

Current Position
    On all but one of my applications all seems to be fine and the memo fields are behaving normally - albeit I have uninstalled Alpha Five many times, removed all references to AF5V4 in the registry and now running what I think is a clean system as far as Alpha is concerned.
    On the main application, the biggest, most complex and the most important to me of course, things are not well. If I click on the pen and open the data entry window it takes the data OK but when I click on save nothing is samed. However, if I then try and close the window which contains the memo field, it asks me if I want to save the record - this may be because it is part of a set.
    On the other hand, if I transfer the application to my Laptop also running Windows 2000 and at the same screen resolution all is fine and any entries I input via the laptop are available in the main PC when the application is transferred back
    I have also deleted the application completely from the main PC and then transferred it back on the basis there was a file incompatability somewhere and it was somehow getting itself confused but that did not clear things up either

My conclusion
    It would appear that there is something about the way the main PC is seeing the application that differes from the way the Laptop is seeing it - fairly obvious I know but why / how?

All my other applications are running OK on BOTH systems!

I have compacted the Database Application to see if there was anything hiding there and all is apparently fine.

It is a good job I am already white haired or indeed have any left at all with this apparently stupid situation.

Sorry to be a nuisance but any pointers will be gratefully received.

RE: MEMO FIELDS - FURTHER INFO

Jim,

Your description suggests to me that the data seems to be intact. This is a good thing. Maybe it's just a video display problem. Maybe the screen is not being refreshed or resynched somehow. If it were me, I'd dial back or eliminate all hardware acceleration from my video display adapter, to see if that solves the problem. If you try this, let us know if it makes any difference.

Next thought is that maybe the installed printers are different on the pc and the laptop. There have been reports of odd behaviours with SOME printer drivers installed. Apparently some of the newer printer drivers (for some reason those made by HP are mentioned often) load little pieces of themselves in high memory, and they stay there whether you're printing or not. (This is my take on it, and I cannot vouch for it's technical accuracy.) Anyway, some users have gotten good results by uninstalling the latest and greatest drivers, and then installing older compatible drivers for their new printers.

If you're curious you might also search this board for message threads dealing with video and printer driver issues.

-- tom

Comment

Thanks for replying to my prob.

Well I have made other discoveries with my application!

Within the application I have another form with a Memo Field and believe it or not it is behaving OK!

However the ones that are causing me problems are the ones on a 10 tabbed form and are within embedded Browse tables - but they did work before.

Your comments would be appreciated

Jim Scott

Comment

Jim,

Simple question for you. If they used to work, what's changed?

If nothing has changed, have you tried restoring a copy from your backup?

-- tom

Comment

I really do not know when precisely it changed as, like most applications, things are continually changing as things are enhanced but sometimes a problem dows not necessarily manifest itself straight away - as I think is the case in this application.

Another thing I have noticed is that when I try and enter data into the memo field of the embedded browse it obviously knows the field has been activated as it creates the record but dows not put the data into it.

I tried putting data in and saved the Application and transferred it to the laptop and the record had been created.

Trying the same in reverse, the laptop version allowed the data to be input and when the application was transferred back to the PC lo and behold the data was visible!

Both machines are running at 800x600 resolution

Comment

Jim, this dialogue can continue, one clue, and one possible answer at a time, for a long, long time. This can often be frustrating for both participants. Quickest solution is to create a complete copy of your database, purge sensitive records, replacing them with dummy values, zip the whole shebang and attach it to a message in this thread. It's vital to include step by step directions for volunteers to follow to trace the steps you are taking when you see the behavior you are describing.

In closing, let me add a personal note. While it is possible to build complex multi-tabbed forms, involving complex set structures. It's often wise not to do so. There's an article at www.learn alpha.com called 'Simplifying your Application' (or something close to that) which I consider required reading. If you're not familiar with it, I recommend it highly.

-- tom

Comment

Here's the link to the article I mentioned:

http://www.learn alpha.com/SimplifyYourApp/SimplifyYourApp.htm

Jim, are we to assume that adjusting your video adapter's performance had no effect?

-- tom

Comment

Working...
              X