Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Searching a child Database from the Parent Form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Searching a child Database from the Parent Form

Can Anyone Help Please ????
    I am trying to search a child database embedded in a parent form. Unfortunately I am not that familiar with the Xbasic language as yet and could use some assistance.

Thanks in advance

John White

RE: Searching a child Database from the Parent For

John,

This can be tricky.

There's a difference between finding a particular child table record among those linked to the current parent table record

and

finding a particular child table record whether or not it is linked to the current parent table record.

Which are you trying?

-- tom

Comment

Hi Tom,
      I have a set with the header database which I call SectionsHeader with a child database which I call sectionsdetal.
      The header contains the usual things like id no, section, signaturees etc.
      The detail database contains items that are booked to that particular person and section. What I am trying to do Tom, is search in that child database for items associated with this entry or any other entry in the entire database. I hope this clarifies my problem Tom, if not I will forward a zip of the system.

Thanks again Tom

John

Comment

John,

Here's a working example I've prepared for you.

It shows one way of doing what you desire in the context of a set using customer table as primary, and transactions as child. there are others.

-- tom

Comment

Hi Tom,
          Thanks very much for the demo file which was very helpful but!!! The next problem I encountered was I have to search on a "Description" field in the child database which means that there may be more than a single word in this field. The file you kindly sent down I studied and made sense of but it will not return any records in my database, have you any suggestions.

Thanks Again Tom.

John White

Comment

John,

I've extended the example to show one approach to such a problem.

Have fun dissecting the script.

Unzip the attachment to an empty folder.

-- tom

Comment

Hi Tom,
              I have studied and dissected the file you sent me. I still have a problem though Tom. I have tried all that I know to rectify the problem (which is not a lot).
              When I run the script in my program, I get an error message which reads :- OBJECT METHOD ERROR. A PARAMETER MAY BE INCORRECT OR MISSPELLED. The problem lies in the "Unmark" line I think. If you could come up eith an answer, it would be very much appreciated.
              Also Tom, is it possible to search for the description in the child database which is related to a customer in the parent, bearing in mind there may be quite a few entries for the customer in the parent database.

Once again Tom, Thanks ever so much for all your time and help.

John White

Comment

John,

Sorry, no. I've pushed my little example as far as I can.

To go further we need to see YOUR database, with step by step instructions on how to replicate the error you're getting. And, you need to furnish concrete examples of the kind of searches you want to run, and the kinds of data against which it will be run. It's time for specifics.

-- tom

Comment

Thanks for reply Tom, I will post the database tomorrow and hopefully you may be able to sort for me.

thank you

John White

Comment

Hi Tom,
                    Please find attached my programm I am having trouble with.
                    The for you need to run is "Sections DataEntry"
                    A brief description. A company has employees who withdraw items from the stores (The employees is the field "Signed By". These employees will have several entries on the "Header Form" of the database. The main objects they would take from the stores are generally tools and keys for different departments they do work for.
                    In the "Section Detail" database (child) is where the stock movement is performed and this is where I need to search for items by "Description".
                    So my sonario is that I need to search for Employees ("Signed by") and also search for a particular item by ("Description") in the child database. I hope this is clear enough Tom.

Thanks Again

John White

Comment

John, Yes, it's getting clearer.

Give me a specific example.

You're describing what you want to do, but not furnishing an actual example I can shoot for.

Specify a search. Define it the way you would want to actually use it. Don't worry about trying to get the syntax right, just give me a real world example of a specific search you might want to run.

In the meantime, I'll be familiarizing myself with your file.

-- tom

Comment

John,

Turn off 'cascade deletes and changes' in the set design for the Sections Set.

Then substitute this script for the Description button script in your form. Because of it's length you'll have to use the regular code editor instead of action scripting.

Code:
                        'dim global new_desc as C

' check mode of form.  Block script if enter or change is pending
                        mode = parent.mode_get()
                        if mode  "VIEW" then
                        			ui_msg_box("Oops","Form Must Be In VIEW MODE")
                        			end
                        end if

'unmark records in header table of set
                        :mark.run_silent ("UnmarkSection_Header")
                        '----------------------------------------------

' now step through the set, and mark any record that contains the search term in the Description 
                        ' field of the Section_details table

tbl = table.current()
                        tbl2 = table.current(2)
                        tbl.index_primary_put("")
                        tbl.fetch_first()
                        srch_key = ui_get_text("Search Description Field For What Word","Enter The Search Term.")
                        tbl.batch_begin()
                        found_match = 0
                        while .not. tbl.fetch_eof()
                        	if *ANY(upper(tbl2.Description),Upper(srch_key)) then
                        		found_match = found_match + 1
                        		tbl.change_begin()
                        		tbl.mark()
                        		tbl.change_end(.t.)
                        	end if
                        	tbl.fetch_next() 
                        end while
                        tbl.batch_end()

if found_match = 0 then  'no matches were found
                        	ui_msg_box("Oops","The search term does not appear in the Description field of the Section_Details table")
                        	tbl.fetch_first()
                        	parentform.resynch()
                        	end   'end script, no need to run query, since no records were marked. 
                        end if

'--------------------------------------------
                        'Run Query to show only the marked records
                        '--------------------------------------------

tbl.fetch_first()
                        query.filter = "Marked()"
                        idx = tbl.query_create()

' no need to check size of query list just to see if it's empty
                        'if idx.records_get() = 0 then 
                        '	trace.writeln("oops, no records have been marked")
                        '	idx.drop()
                        '	tbl.index_primary_put("")   'record number sequence
                        'else
                        '	trace.writeln(str(idx.records_get())+" customer records were marked")
                        'end if

tbl.fetch_first()

parentform.resynch()

end
                        -- tom

Comment

John,

One more thing. You haven't added the Unmark operation to your database yet. You'll need to create and save it. Use the same name that you are using your script.

Sorry for the multiple posts.

-- tom

Comment

Tom,
                            Thanks for the above script and help.
                            You asked for a specific example. Here it is :

I need to be able to search for Employee Name ("Signed By") in the Main Form Ex: "Alan Jaycock", he may have had a "digging Fork" from the stores ("Description" in the child database), but, he has supposed to return it to the stores after he has finished with it.
                            It is a method of checking to make sure it has been returned. I hope this makes sense to you Tom.
                            p.s. (No wonder I could not get the earlier script to work if I did not define the unmark operation)

Thanks again for your help Tom

All The Best.

John

Comment

Working...
                            X