Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

find by form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

find by form

Is there a way to define an expression when using Find by Form. I have an address field and would like to only search the word. ie "1234 French Street". I can do it with a seperate button WORD(ADDRESS,2) but would like to have it with Find by Form.
    Thanks for any suggestions,
    Bob

RE: find by form

Bob, I'm not following you 100%. Have you tried 'Find Text' instead of 'Find by Form' ? It will look for the specified text anywhere in the field (or record).

-- tom

Comment

Thanks Tom,
      I have a button on a form that activates "Find by Form" and shows " a "Go" button. This is instead of using the menu choices on top menu bar. So I would have to make another button or text choices. It would be nice to keep it on one button. The button action is: topparent.find_by_form()
      maybe i could put a branch with action scripting. ??
      Bob

Comment

Bob, the Find by Form (and other icons) on the default toolbar are pre-programmed by Alpha. It's very difficult, indeed I've never succeeded, in modifying their behavior. On rare occasions when it seemed worthwhile, I've built replacement scripts which run from buttons, in order to achieve some new or additional functionality not provided by the pre-programmed tools from Alpha. This, I fear, is what you'll have to do, using table level methods, in all probability.

Table.fetch_find() will use an index to quickly find a record with matching key. Theoretically, you could build an index on the second WORD in each address field, and use this method to find matching records. Because your data will not be consistent (second word in an address might be BOX instead of a street name, for example) this is apt to be very messy and inaccurate.

Table.fetch_loc_next() could be used to accomplish a Form level Find Text functionality, but under script control. Probably won't work as fast as a fetch_find, but it will probably give you more accurate results.

Building custom replacements for the built-in preprogrammed tools is feasible and Xbasic contains the necessary tools, but it would is apt to be very time consuming, and at least in my case, error prone. Would be a good learning experience for you, perhaps. If you'd prefer not to move in that direction I'd understand completely.

-- tom

Comment

You could create a calculated form field:4
          word(address,2)
          Place it on the form and make sure it is not disabled
          The find by form should work with it

Comment

Although the above could be useful for some kind of complex search, you could teach the users to simply put an asterisk in front of the street name.In your example *french should find it.

Comment

John,

Cool.

-- tom

Comment

Thanks a lot John! That will do it. I had just taken the numbers out of the addreses and made two fields but I will go back to the way i had it because data entry is much easier.
                Thanks,
                Bob

Comment

Hi John,
                  Thanks again. I placed the enabled calc field on the same location as the addres field but kept it hidden. On my Find by Form button action I Hid the Address field and Showed the Calc_Address. Then on arriving on that field I set the Word_address index. After I click on the Go button on the form I can show the address field again. and no one is the wiser.
                  Thanks it works perfect!
                  Bob

Comment

Guys:

That's Really S L I C K!

Ken

Comment

Working...
                    X