Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Other users leave files open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other users leave files open

I�m having problems on our networked Alpha 4.5 (build 263)Stock Control system. The database is on a Dell Windows XP machine and the files are shared. When a Windows 98 network user goes into the system, the XP user cannot get into the Stock Control. Looking in Computer management, Shared Folders, Open Files, a number of files are listed as open. When the Windows 98 user closes Alpha, the files are still shown as open, causing the XP user to be locked out. The only way to shut down the open files appears to be to shut down the Windows 98 machine.

Has anyone any ideas why this may be happening?

RE: Other users leave files open

Bob, tell us how the application is run.

Are the user running local copies of Alpha Five from their own workstations?

Are they running the database by opening it on the server, or has the database been network optimized?

What specific error messages are you getting?

Are you saying the XP user is using the same pc that's also being used as the file server for your database?

-- tom

Comment

Both are running local copies.

There is no NT/W2000 server. The XP professional machine holds the data, and the user logs on to the same XP machine. I've network optimised it on the Windows 98 machine.

No error messages - when the XP machine tries to go into the application, Alpha locks on splash screen and won't start, cleared by shutting down application in Task Manager.

Only locks when the Windows 98 machine has previuosly been in the application sucessfully. The Windows 98 machine appears to be leaving files open even after Alpha has closed on that Windows 98 machine.

Comment

Bob,

I don't know if forms opened in dialog mode survive termination of the main Alpha Five window. I suspect they might. Does your app make use of opening forms in dialog mode? If so, are you aware that closing them requires a different sequence than regular forms? Just clicking on the system menu "X" hides them. Does not close them.

Having said all that I'm not sure why open instances of one or more tables in your database would prevent the XP station from also opening the database. Do you open tables in exclusive mode for some reason?

I'm not an XP guru, but it sounds to me as though XP is blocking you from changing the system registry on the XP machine when Alpha Five loads. Alpha Five needs read write access to the registry on the XP machine if it's being opened on that machine.

If others don't offer suggestions, I'd consider reversing the roles of the machines. Put the database on the Win 98 system and see if the problem goes away.

-- tom

Comment

Tom,

What other method do you have to close the "dialog" window"??

I too am having a problem with the database remaining open and affecting input of data. I am running this app on a stand alone windows 2000 machine.

I should wrap this one up and send it to you for you to critique anyhow.

Dave Mason

Comment

Tom,

There are some forms that open as dialogs but the one I used to prove that the Windows 98 machine was leaving files open is not one. The ones we have include the extra close line e.g.

Form.Load("TescoSains","Dialog")
            :TescoSains.activate()
            :TescoSains.show()
            :TescoSains.close()

Have recreated the setup here with our XP machine and another Windows 98 machine. When files are opened by Windows 98 machine they are removed from the Open Files list when the same form is closed.

Therefore, I am thinking it must be something wrong with the Windows 98 machine at my client's or a problem with the XP machine. I plan to try the setup with another Windows 98 PC at the clients after Xmas, which should prove whether the existing 98 machine is the problem.

No tables are opened in exclusive mode.

Thanks for you help.
            Bob.

Comment

Bob

I have a network set up with WinXp and Win98 mixed. I set a test with the same configuration as your problem, with the Xp as server and the Win98 as an optimized terminal. I had no problems. Reversing the configuration didn't cause any problems either. This suggests the problem is machine or network card specific.

Incidentally, additional testing showed that the speed of the terminal computer was much more important than the server in an optimized environment since most processing occurs locally. I set up a server on a 300 mhz PentuimII and the terminal with a 2.4 ghz Pentuim 4. I also tested the same app on the faster machine as a standalone. There was very little speed difference on the fast machine between running as standalone or pulling the data across the network. The network slowed data transfer somewhat, but other operations were not affected much.

Jerry

Comment

Check the sections on form.load(), form.dialog(), and form.open() in the Xbasic Ref. Manual.

-- tom

Comment

David,

I apologize. I've been been pointing you a section of the reference materials that's only slightly useful. Try Ch. 22 in the Xbasic Ref. Manual. The section on 'Closing a Dialog Box' explains things in detail. -- tom

Comment

Working...
                  X