Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

New Record in Set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Record in Set

I have a set with two tables as follows:

Parent Table:
    *New_Name c 33
    *Prod_Code c 9
    Property_Number c 9
    Property_Sub c 9

Child Table:
    *New_Name c 33
    Pun c 9
    Suffix c 9
    *Prod_Code c 9
    then 5 others fields of various types, character, numeric, and logical.

The Parent and child are linked together in a One to Many relationship by an expression that ties the New_Name and Prod_Code fields together as denoted by the *.

First of all, if you try and link a set in this way using the referential integrity button other than "None", it gives you this message after you press ok "for integrity, use parent field name". If you agree to only link on one field without an expression, it allows you to cascade adds and deletes for example. I am not sure I understand first of all the reasoning for this limitation but that is a separate question from the real question in this topic.

So, back to the table in question, which works as described in the paragraphs above:

If I use a setup form which I call "Property Setup Screen", I have the four parent fields on the top, and an embedded browse layout for the bottom part of the form. Within the browse layout, the linked fields appear of course. But it seems redundant to have to fill in the "New_Name" field and the "Prod_Code" field in the embedded layout. If I am entering a new record at the set level rather than at the table level, then I want to be able to have some means of automatically feeling in the New_Name and Prod_code fields in the child based on the entries I have just made to the new record of the parent table.

So, how can I eliminate the need to keep the fields in both parts of the form?

Thanks

Bruce

RE: New Record in Set

It sounds like you always want the values to stay in synch. If New_Name or Prod_Code changes in the parent, you want all the child records to change also.

If that's true, then what about using a field (Property_Id) on the parent that links to the child records?

Define Property_Id as an autoincrement.

Put Property_Id on the Child and use it as the link between parent and child. The Property_Id on the child will be assigned by the linkage.

You can choose to show or not to show Property_Id on the browse for the child. The default form has it not showing.

Take New_Name and Prod_Code off the child table.

When you need to change New_Name and Prod_Code, change it on the parent record. Always use the set when reading the child and you'll have those values from New_Name and Prod_Code from the parent.
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
    "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Al, I don't see how this approach using the ID could work since there is a one to many link between parent and child, instead of a one to one link, that would allow for the possibility of synchornizing the record ID you mentioned.

In other words, for one parent record, I may have one child record today, but tommorrow I may need to add a child record to a parent who already has a child. And then in the same user session, I might need to add a separate parent record with its own associated child record. In this case of course the ID approach would definitely get out of sync wouldn't it?

If I'm misunderstanding what you are saying, then please clarify further.

Bruce

Comment

Actually the id would stay in synch for both of those scenarios.

It is assigned automatically when a parent record is entered and is picked up by a child whether the parent has just been entered or was previously entered.

You will only have one parent selected at a time and the child will be assigned that parent's id number.

It's one of the advantages of using a set.
        Al Buchholz
        Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
        Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
        When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
        Albert Einstein

Comment

ps The autoincrement option is only used to define the parent field. The child picks up it's value from the parent because it's the linkage field in the set.
          Al Buchholz
          Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
          Albert Einstein

Comment

Ok I am starting to play with this option right now.. Trying to update existing records to match up first before I can ask any possibly intelligent questions.

Thanks for the approach. I re-read your first post, and was thinking of auto increment as a numeric representation somehow that would be 1,2,3, for each record etc.

I will post back once i have some test data to use.

Thanks again.

Comment

Do you have data to convert or can you empty the tables and start over?
              Al Buchholz
              Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
              Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
              X