Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

undeletable records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

undeletable records

I have a three tab invoicing form. On the first tab I have browse1 which holds invoice header information. On the second tab I have browse2 which holds invoice detail information. I have a button on the second tab labeled "Add Item". The Xbasic for this button basically creates a new record under xbasic, populates the new record with data and then opens up a form called "Adddetail". The user then finishes the dataentry and then he can press a button to save the record. Everything works as expected.
    I am now trying to create a button to put on the "adddetail" form that will delete this record should he change his mind after having pressed the "New Record" button. I thought that it was as easy as using action scripting to create a delete record button but the button failed to delete the record.
    So I tried the same thing in xbasic :adddetail:delete_record(), that failed too.
    I thought maybe you can't delete something from under a form that is opened. So I put a "KILL Record" button on the second tab with the idea that the user would click on the record in browse2 and then press the "KILL Record" button. As it turned out the damned thing still won't die. What am I doing wrong? I can't believe after programming so long in this that I can't make a delete button work.

RE: undeletable records

Greg,

Definitely sounds odd. Here are some ideas, which you've probably already thought about:

1) If the user changes his mind before saving the new record, you should cancel(), not delete(). I don't think you can delete a record that hasn't been saved to disk yet.

2) Are there field rule restrictions which are getting in the way?

3) Is the invoice items table staying in 'enter' or 'change' mode, thereby preventing the delete. Delete is a change, and requires the table to be in 'view' mode at onset.

4) Have the properties of the form been set to restrict deletes?

5) Are you deleting via another form, which opens another instance of the table? If so, is the table name alias correct in your script?

6) Can you delete items records using the default form for the set? If so, this suggests no problem in field rules.

-- tom

Comment

This was really dumb. I somehow set the restrict delete on in the adddetail table. After unchecking this in the form properties the delete_record() command works. The thing that bothers me is that this command calls up a window that asks the user if he wants to delete the record and the default is the NO button. IS there a way to bypass this and make the deletion go straight through? The reason is that I have my own UI_MSG_BOX command to handle this question.

Instead of using the delete_record command I had attempted to put the current browse table to a pointer and using the following code

TBL.change_Begin()
      tbl.delete()
      tbl.change_end(.t.)

For some reason this doesn't work

Comment

It might be an indirect method, but you could get the current record number,
        move off the record on the current form,
        open another instance of the table with tbl2 = table.current(),
        fetch the record in question,
        then use your delete command on the second instance,
        close the second instance and resynch the form to the table.
        There can be only one.

Comment

How do you move off the record of the current form?

Comment

Similar to the "tbl>.fetch_next() there is a method for tables.

:Formname.fetch_next()

Fetch Next Fetches the next record in the current query for the form or browse
            window you specify. This action is equivalent to the Xbasic
            Fetch_Next() method.
            There can be only one.

Comment

Assumning that you have opened the correct table and that the current record pointer is at the desired record, are you sure that the child record is not getting deleted and that your browse is not reflecting the deletion? Try putting some kind of browse1.resynch(} after the delete code and see if that is the case.

Comment

The record is definitely there because after I close the form I go directly to the table to check.

Comment

No potato! Tried fetch_prev(), fetch_first(). The thing still won't die

Comment

Here's a silly idea. How about a saved operation to delete the current record, run silently ?

-- tom

Comment

Working...
                    X