Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

W32.ElKern.4926

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

W32.ElKern.4926

I had this nasty virus and didn't know it until now. It goes to my address book, picks out a name and sends itself to others and indicating it came from the name it picked out. It was a sleeper and activated on the 6th. I downloaded a repair tool from Norton so hopefully it's gone. I hope none of you caught this cold. If so, go to http:||securityreponse.symantec.com and download the repair tool. The | represents a backslash.

kenn
    TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

RE: W32.ElKern.4926

Ken and others,
    This thing and its cousins continue to run around the internet. For a while I was getting 3 or 5 a day; many with return addressess from people on this bulletin board. Fortunately McAfee VirusScan catches the messages when I try to open them. What a pain. Why don't the authors learn Alpha5 and do something useful to humanity with their talents.

Comment

Ohlen,

How mine got there the first time I don't know. I have 2 hard drives on my computer and the virus was on the drive I don't use and had spread to the other hard drive. I do remember opening a file awhile back from what I thought was a reputable source and there was nothing there, or so I thought.

I don't open any of these files (anymore)if I'm not 100% positive it's a legit email. They're usually not too hard to ID. Many come back as undeliverable messages. When ya didn't send anything out, that's a clue.) The ones that look odd, I check the properties for the sender info but even then, that's not safe. If I think someone may have sent me an email I'm not sure about, I'll send an email to that person and ask if they sent me anything before opening it.

kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Ken

Like Ohlen, I have received variations of this virus many times (but not the version you had!) I have one email address linked to our's companies web site. I got nearly a dozen hits one day in a 10 minute period. Thanks goodness for Norton antivirus. But a word of warning. NEVER open an email with an attachment automatically or without first checking the title of the attachement. Most viruses have a characteristic attachment name format. If in doubt, delete it, and run antivirus immediately. You do not want to get infected, especially on a network. Our comapny has over 200 computers on one network that was infected. It tooks days to stop the infection.

Jerry

Comment

Jerry,
          Your point about not opening a file is great and common advice. I have Outlook Express set to not automatically open received mail. However, it tries to open the mail when I click on it and I must click on it first before I can delete it. A click followed by a quick delete seems to work but I'm wondering if there's another way.
          Ohlen

Comment

Ohlen,

That's exactly what I was getting about a month ago. Simply clicking on the email but not opening an attachment was all that was needed. And, in order to delete it, one first had to click on it. Then the scramble began, trying to click the 'lil X before if completed it's thing. If that wasn't enough, I had to click the x 3-4 times.

I'm told Alt-F4 works but habit kept the mouse busy so didn't think of Alt-F4.

kenn

Comment

I finally ditched outlook express and bought express+, a little email client from Ibister the company which makes the Time and chaos datebook program.

Express+ allows you to read headers without downloading them from the server. It was worth $30 to get away from having to think about the outlook problems.

That said, the College server bounces hundreds of corrupt inbound messages daily. As a user I don't see this but the log on the server makes one gape at the volume of bad messages.

Bill
              Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

I turned off Show preview pane under Outlook Express's View, Layout so it's safe to look at and click the Subject line. Then I can delete an evil message straight off or check out its Properties, Details, Message source and read the code behind the whole thing safely.

Comment

I've generally had good success by not downloading files from any emails where I've not contacted the people recently or at all. Its easy to observe that there is no discussion or personal information in the email about the file other than a typical come on such as "See my new game" I'm glad I never bothered looking now!

Windows and MS products seem to install with poor security or many of the secure features turned off. Some email software does this too, so users need to go and turn off all the "features" such as automatic downloading and unpacking of files, along with the Java and ActiveX program features that can also hijack your computer. This keeps rogue web sites from doing much damage too. Always make other systems ask for permission before they download files to your computer, you then have a chance of preventing and tracing their activity.

One friend recently recieved a browser "upgrade" that actss to advertise a web address every time they start an internet chat with another person.

Dave

Comment

David,

I've generally had good success by not downloading files from any emails where I've not contacted the people recently or at all. How do you do not download email? Do you mean only preview and not open them?

kenn

Comment

I use a program called mail washer.

It allows one to preview email at ISP level (as I understand it), without actually opening it.

One can view the title and even look at the content in text (no html as I think viruses can reside there).

Another beauty is one can bounce back dodgy emails as if sent from the ISP as �undeliverable�, without ones own name appearing.

Maybe this similar to yours William Hanigsberg? but this works in conjunction with Outlook or Outlook express.

Address is www.mailwasher.net. It�s shareware with a voluntary $3 to $50 �tip� up to you.

Comment

oops i put message in wrong place - it should be here.

I use a program called mail washer.

It allows one to preview email at ISP level (as I understand it), without actually opening it.

One can view the title and even look at the content in text (no html as I think viruses can reside there).

Another beauty is one can bounce back dodgy emails as if sent from the ISP as �undeliverable�, without ones own name appearing.

Maybe this similar to yours William Hanigsberg, but this works in conjunction with Outlook or Outlook express?

Address is www.mailwasher.net. It�s shareware with a voluntary $3 to $50 �tip� up to you.

Comment

Robin,

Thanks! Now, there's a helpgul, friendly piece of advice!!

kenn

Comment

Ken,

After reading about the poor security in Internet Explorer, I went through Explorer and turned off all the automatic execution of Java script and ActiveX code, had it refuse any downloads unless my permission was given, and raised the security level to 3/4 of maximum. This stops any hidden code and downloads from running on my computer. I've even heard it's possible to have ActiveX code inside a JPG picture file on a web page.

I also went through my AOL software, found and raised the security there, and turned off the automatic unpacking of ZIP files. Any AOL or Yahoo mail I get with a file shows that it has an attachment. I can also read the email without getting the download. Downloads also show their file name on the permission request box before they arrive. All the warnings allow me to see and stop any bad behavior.

I set this all up about three years ago after reading in Info World that many products had lax security settings which was a distinct problem for those in large corporate network maintanence.

Dave

Comment

Dave,

I've even heard it's possible to have ActiveX code inside a JPG picture file on a web page.

I think you're right. After the 911 thing hit, there were news stories about terroists sending messages back and forth via jpg files with code hidden within.

I guess one has to judge what amount of secutity to include on their computer by the value of the computer's contents.

Thanks for your insights.

kenn

Comment

Working...
                              X