Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Presentation of app has me shaking in my boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Presentation of app has me shaking in my boots

The blood drained out of my face when my client asked me to present my app to a meeting of 12 regional managers from all over the place. It seems that there is a lot of interest in what I am doing. I am quite frankly, terrified. From what my client tells me none of the other regions could come close to what they are doing. All the others have been running their ordertaking and inventory with AccPac for years and are really unhappy about it. My client is really happy and has been for the past year. My stomach is churning and I think I have been drinking too much after this call.

I just have so many worries. What if it doesn't work? What if I turn into a babbling idiot?

Any advice on how to approach the presentation? I must admit that I am not much of a businessman. I charged a flat fee to develop the app to this point and I think that I have been making about $5.25 an hour because I couldn't keep myself from tinkering with it. Am I just in the unfortunate position of really enjoying something that doesn't pay well?

Any advice?

RE: Presentation of app has me shaking in my boots

I heard this somewhere:

"Do what you truly love to do; the money will follow."

Write out your presentation in outline form so you have an idea of the flow. Then practice, practice, practice. If you have someone who can play the devil's advocate, get them to listen and question you as if they were the audience.

Something will probably go wrong anyway; it's how you recover that really counts.

Comment

Ohlen you are right on...couldn't have said it better.

I've been in those situations and thing that always saved me was the practice and someone playing the devils advocate before hand (it gave me practice on recovery).

You'll do fine!

mike
      Mike Reed
      Phoenix, AZ

Comment

Greg,

In the first place, don't worry about this because you know more than anyone about what has gone into the application. Second, prepare yourself by writing down a list of their business and human interests and then force yourself to do three or four trial runs speaking in a room from this outline by yourself. Don't stop for mistakes, just recover from them and continue. Practice will build confidence.

You obviously have impressed these people and done so over a period of time, so its going to be hard to wreck all that at once. You also have a chance to better serve all the users here, so think of this as your chance to make lots of people happy for the next few years! You also know their business well from working with the database and their requests for better ways to do business, perhaps better than some of them do. Its Ok to have some of these people a little in awe of your efforts, after all if it were easy someone would have done this before.

Be alert to any questions you may get about analysing data that you've not reviewed. You can always welcome these and get them to talk about what they need. You'll also be assured there is a future for your database app.

Dave

Comment

Greg,

I �d suggest that you target your presentation towards what it is that the others do not like about their current applications and that you focus your presentation to show how your application addresses these problems. Since it sounds like your pricing will not be an issue. $5.25 an hour is reasonable enough, if you show them that your program adds value or simplifies their operations, the sale will be yours.

Best of Luck
          John

Comment

One more thing,

Speak to their issues. What I mean is that being a developer, you may tend to lean to the more technical aspects of the system instead of the practical. I know from experience that I tend to talk much more about how I did an app instead of what the app can do for my audience. I much prefer talking to "propheads" like myself who would appreciate the nuts and bolts stuff. Regional managers don't care HOW, they just want to know IF IT WILL DO THE JOB.

Finally,

R E L A X

You know this stuff better than anyone. You know what it can do and what it can't do. I have found that having someone who actually uses the software demo it really helps. They understand exactly what it can do for them and how it helped. Don't be afraid to recruit a user. Just be ready to jump in for any questions.

You'll do fine. Maybe you could get that rate up to $525.00 instead of $5.25.

Tom

Comment

Good Luck!

Rember they are human, just like the rest of us (sort of :) )

Regards
              Richard Rabins -- Alpha Software
              Richard Rabins
              Co Chairman
              Alpha Software

Comment

This may seem obvious but .. make sure you are in command of the equipment on which the presentation wil be made. So, if you are doing it in the client's office for an audience of 11 people, how are they going to view the app? From your laptop hooked up to a big monitor? A copy of the app already running in the office? A nice projector hooked to your laptop?

Whichever it is going to be, make sure you get there early enough to be sure you have plenty of setup time so that the presentation environment is to your liking and advantage and you have some dry run time.

Good luck.

Finian
                Finian

Comment

Greg

Preparation, preparation, preparation! It seems like your audience WANTS this which puts you very much in the driving seat!

In my regular line of business, the presentations that are the most effective are those that the presenter believes in, but the biggest danger is to slip in to jargon. So as has already being said before, practice and focus on the key benefits from the perspective of the people sat in the room.

Good luck

Glen Schild
                  Glen Schild

My Blog

Comment

Greg,

So much good advice. What a great thread.

I would only add that you might want to begin with a list of the things a successful inventory system must do. You know this, but everybody in the audience may not have articulated this explicitly. Perhaps you even hand out the list. By presenting the list, you immediately orient your presentation to a shared view of the the organization's problems.

You can then work your way down the list indicating briefly how your application deals with each issue. Even it they don't remember a specific feature of your program the fact that you have included a problem in the list will remind them that you cope with it somehow.

Bill
                    Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

Greg,

Let me share some advice with you from a teacher's point of view.

I teach computer science at a community college, and as you can probably imagine, the material in my courses continually change and I get the 'pleasure' of having to present new versions of software all the time. I once had to teach a group of the CPAs from the local city Accounting Department how to use Lotus 1-2-3 (how's that for old?). I was scared s***less until I realized that I wasn't teaching (or challenging) their accouting skills, but rather I was sharing a new tool with which they could do their job better and easier.

Every time I teach a new class, I remind myself that there might well be someone in the class that knows how to write program code better than I (and that's a LOT of people) or knows more about web page development and design, but I am either offering them alternative ways to do what they already know, or possibly I will give them one new skill that they can use.

You will NOT be challenging the group, you will be offering them a new and easier way to do their job. They will probably be more appreciative of what you are showing them than you can imaging. AND, you may make more sales.

Just show them what you have created, they will ask questions about how to do this and that, and they'll ask if can you do such and such with Alpha. Answer them honestly and admit that you don't know when you don't know and they'll appreciate your honesty.

Good luck.

Dave Jampole
                      Dave Jampole
                      www.customalpha.com

Women and cats will do whatever they want. The sooner men and dogs realize that, the happier they will be.

Comment

Thank-you all for the support and ideas. I think that I have a better handle on what I should be concentration on. After all, the app has been running very well for my client for while now.
                        I guess I will treat this meeting like the wonderful learning experience I had trying to figure out how to make Alpha adapt to the way my current client believed his company should operate. It was the back and forth that made it so much fun. It seemed there was always a new challenge or puzzle to mull over every day.
                        The best part is logging on to this forum in the morning with my cup of coffee to see what came up over-night.
                        Thanks everyone!

Comment

Greg,

Since all the others have given you much good advice and positive encouragement, let me limit my remarks to the $$$ issue. In the future, don't be afraid to charge what you and your product are worth. Don't be afraid to charge hourly. You may have to set certain limits. I have noticed that many (most?) developers seem to exactly specify what forms, reports, functionality they will be providing their clients/customers. Anything beyond that is extra. If you don't charge enough to make a decent living, you won't be able to continue doing what you are doing. There is absolutely no virtue in being a "low bidder" if you have to cut corners and compromise yourself by doing so. Have faith in yourself and in your product. If your client asked you "to present my app to a meeting of 12 regional managers from all over the place" that is a great compliment to your abilities and to your application. Don't short change yourself!

Peter
                          Peter
                          AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                          https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Hi Greg, let's hope that this is the first of many, many times of being uncomfortable, it's all part and parcel of being successful.

A couple of words of advice that will help.

As someone esle stated try not to dwell on the technical aspects unless asked by one of the decision makers.

Get used to using a simple 5 word phrase that will help you in everything that you do, "what this means to you"

This is especially helpful when explaining a technical aspect and helps to put things into perspective for your audience. For example a car salesman may something like;

"This car has a fuel injected 6 cyl engine with double overhead cam and lowered floor mats! What this means to you is better fuel economy and less wear and tear on the car!"

In marketing terms this is called turning a feature into a benefit. People buy because of benefits not features.

If a particular feature cannot be translated into a benefit for the customer, then don't mention it as it is of no use to them. Stick to the features that will benefit the client and you will get the sale every time :)

One last thing. If you're not used to standing up in front of a group of business people, which can be daunting, just imagine them sitting there in their underwear or sitting on the john, makes them seem a lot more human!

Anyway, good luck to you, I'm sure you'll do just fine :)

Comment

Greg,

So now that you have all this great advice, I am sure that all the others, like me, will want to know how the presentation went. Please make sure to keep us informed.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X