Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Data vs. Structure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Data vs. Structure

Conundrum ?

At night, after the day job I would like to transfer ONLY the non data files to a cd and take home. The theory being, to make structural changes and/or add new features & test on dummy data. The following morning, transfer the adds/changes to work & update the live data. I realize that structural changes normally update the data files immediately. Does any one know of a way to accomplish this, and if so what data files wouldn't be copied.

Thanks in advance
    John Gamble

RE: Data vs. Structure

John,

This has been asked several times. Try a search on .adb or .alm and see what you find. It might be easier toi make a copy at work, empty the data and xfer the copy and the return the favor to work. Then append the data to the updated version. It'll save check, recheck and triple chek to make sure you've left nothing out.

Others may have a better solution.

kenn
    TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

John,

Ken is on the right track but I'd like to add more detail. I assume
      that all of your database is in 1 folder, if not it should be. Make a
      new folder and copy the entire database into the new folder. Then go
      into the temp folder and open the control panel. Highlight each table
      and then empty the contents. Now zip up the temp folder (it may very
      well fit on a floppy after zipping), if so you are in business. If not
      you will need a burner or a zip drive. Then delete everything in the
      temp folder. When you bring the database back the next day, unzip it
      to a temp folder, then run an update from the real data into the temp
      folder. If everything is ok, delete the contents of the original
      folder and copy the temp folder into the original folder. Just be sure
      that you check the new work entoto before deleting the original folder.

efs

Comment

Evening Ken
        Thanks for the response. Was hoping there might be a simpler way, right! Quite a few tables & sets to append.
        Thanks
        John

Comment

Edward
          Thanks for the reply. See my reply to Ken
          John

Comment

John,

If you don't make changes in the structure of the tables with your mods you can simply copy over the old dictionary files with the new ones. Here's the sequence I follow:

1. zip entire database for transport home

2. do the mods at home

3. zip the entire revised database for transport back to the office, but 'exclude' dbf and fpt files from the new zip file. This means I am including everything except the actual data in the zip I take back to the office.

4. on arrival at the office, THE FIRST THING is to make an archival backup of the existing database. I do this every time, just before I copy the new mods in place. I do this by creating a zip file copy and storing it in an archive folder. I test the integrity of the archive copy, before proceeding.

5. I then unzip the new work file to the database folder, overwriting all the old files. Since no data files are included in my zip the actual data remains intact.

6. I then reindex all the tables.

This sequence has served me well. As mentioned at the top, it is designed for situations where no changes in the structure of any of the tables is being made. It's actually pretty easy to do. Easier to do it than to describe it. All I'm really doing is copying the database for transport home, and then copying back my changes, with provision for archive backups in case there's a glitch in the file transfer process.

Note: If your work environment is on a local area network and your database is shared with others on the LAN you will need to have exclusive access to the database files in order to do the update. If someone else on the net is working with the database some of the files you are trying to copy back to the server may be 'in use', so Windows will prevent them from being copied over. This is another reason I like making the archive backup zip file just before I do the update. If my zip utility can't get exclusive access to the files it won't include them in the zip and reports the problem. This tips me off that someone has left their machine running with the database in use.

-- tom

Comment

Tom
              Appreciate the response. This would certainly work well for adding or changing forms reports etc. Unfortunately my changes often envolve structure changes. Oh well !
              Thanks
              John

Comment

Have you thought about using a dial up connection to your office to transfer files - I have been using pcanywhere for years - which makes life a lot easier than copying files on disk.
                Terry

Comment

I make a zip copy and email it back and forth.

kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Terry
                    Have also used pcanywhere for years but it impacts on my incremental backup. Was trying to find a way around this. Thanks
                    John

Comment

John,

I make a backup, empty the data, change the field rule temporarily to user entered, zip it up and then email it.

When I'm done making changes, I email it back, append the data and then change the field rule back to auto increment.

This has worked very well for me. If you have a script for auto increment, then you'll have to disable and enable it.

If you search the this message board for auto increment, try it one word or 2 words, you'll find reference to auto increment scripts that do not need to be disabled or enabled.

Also, check out learn alpha.com. There is a recent article there by finian lennon and a down load utility that you might find interesting as well.

kenn

Comment

This may be more work than you want to do but you could:
                        backup all files for cd or whatever
                        When you want to put it back at the office make a copy of each data file with memos.
                        Restore off the cd to the original location.
                        append the data from the copied files back into the new changed database.

You could probably automate this whole thing with a script to do it automatically.

Russ

Comment

Ken
                          I was refering to my daily incremental backup (by change date) rather than an autoincrement rule. Appreciate the feedback
                          John

Comment

Working...
                          X