Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

ODBC connection to Centura's SQL v.7.5.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ODBC connection to Centura's SQL v.7.5.1

In keeping with the recent run on ODBC questions, here's mine.

At work we run Visual Manufacturing, and were previously at Centura's SQL v. 6x and I had Alpha set up to work quite well with ODBC connections to our SQL server. I am running WinXP Pro and Alpha 5v4.5.

We upgraded to a newer version of Visual Mfg, and as a consequence, got an upgrade of Centura's SQL server. Now I cannot connect my Alpha table to Visual.

I am lost without my Alpha connection, as it allowed me to create reports that were impossible without it.

Please Help.

Jay Talbott
    Jay Talbott
    Lexington, KY

RE: ODBC connection to Centura's SQL v.7.5.1

Hi Jay

I have got around the ODBC problem by exporting my data files from the source and then importing into Alpha. Yes I know it is not the best way to work but it can be set up to be fairly painless. Another problem that I found was that if there is the slightest bit of corruption in the data files the ODBC engine will not give you what you want.

Keith Hubert
    London.
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Keith,

I was thinking about that last night. I can send any "report" to a file, and then massage the file.

I got spoiled by having the ODBC connection, because I wrote an operation which, after emptying the table, would refill it with current information.

I will have to do what you suggest on Monday at work, but would rather, in the long run, have my odbc connection back.

Regards,

Jay Talbott
      Jay Talbott
      Lexington, KY

Comment

Jay,

Have you explored how this plays out in V5? It is supposed to make this easier.

Bill
        Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

Bill,

Thanks for your suggestion. As we speak, I am downloading version 5, eh.

I will try this when I get to work tomorrow. I will let you know if I make any progress. I am going to try and contact the manufacturer of Visual MFG and see if they can help also.

Regards,

Jay Talbott
          Jay Talbott
          Lexington, KY

Comment

Hi Jay,

I'm interested in this too.

I have a client who uses a very specialized financial management package developed for the construction industry. According to its developer it is ODBC compliant. The company's project management software is written in A5.

It would be very convenient to be able to write a report which used data from the two applications.

Hence I wish you success in version 5. I haven't yet explored the ODBC features of version 5 but I guess it is time to do so.

Regards,
            Bill
            Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

We use version Centuras 7.5.1 for a program called HECS. I had no problem switching from 6.x. The one thing they did change was the name of the ODBC driver which threw a wrench in the works. All I had to do was change the name back to what it originally was and it worked fine.

Hope this helps!
              Jamin

Comment

Sorry to be a bit dense, but what was the name of the driver before and after the switch?

Jay
                Jay Talbott
                Lexington, KY

Comment

just a quick note

the latest build of the beta of version 5 has an odbc import genie

see attachment
                  Richard Rabins
                  Co Chairman
                  Alpha Software

Comment

SQLBase_32 Then it awitched to SQLBase then when version 7.5.1 arrived. Hecs_reporting. Each time I had to change it back to SQLBase_32. with 110 tables to import it is easier just to change the driver name.

Jamin

Comment

The genie will only work if you have the following file on your machine: MSADOC.OCX. Selwyn has told me that this will be shipped with a later build.

Keith Hubert
                      London.
                      Regards
                      Keith Hubert
                      Alpha Guild Member
                      London.
                      KHDB Management Systems
                      Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Working...
                      X