Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Hard Drive Reformat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: Hard Drive Reformat

Ohlen,
    In his case where he has two OS's on the same drive without
    intentionally installing them it is about the best way to go. If he
    has backups and the application disks it should run smoothly. Of
    course he will have to load the video, sound,modem and motherboard
    drivers. The upside is that he will have a clean system as long as he
    doesn't allow his startup folder to fill up just because the
    applications he reloads want to be first and foremost.

efs

Comment

efs,

Are there any more "of courses"? I guess I better get the disks for everything on the computer and hope I don't have a 'slipped disk'.

Any more words of wisdom? Better yet, how about coming over tomorrow and do it for me. I doub't I'm much further than a hop, skip and a jump away. Yah, right!!

kenn
      TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Hi, Ken -

Considering the time you're spending on this problem and the importance of having a truly reliable disk, it sounds like you ought to buy a new hard drive and set it up from scratch with a pristine version of Windows.

After it's running, shut down and attach your old drive as a "D" drive or whatever. Then reinstall your programs - such as Alpha-5 for example, and then copy all the data and other stuff. Copying the programs won't do the job - you've gotta reinstall them or the registry won't have the right information.

I just went through a similar situation, and kept putting off biting the bullet. After I did it right, I realized that I could have saved about 4 days by doing it right at the start.

Regards,

Leon Brachman
        [email protected]

Comment

Hi Leon,

There's a lot of valu in your advice. I haven't done anything with it yet as I want to do this one time.

I tired to put some humor into this with my last response to efs but sometimes my humor can be a bit factitious. I hope it was't taken as a 'grump'.

Thanks for your suggestion.

kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Ken,
            Make sure you save your email addresses and bookmarks. When I went through this I thought I'd saved them, but I hadn't. I'm still rebuilding my address book and bookmarks. Also, I somehow forgot to save our Christmas card list and lost that. BTW, if you get a chance send me your new email address.
            Ohlen

Comment

Hi Ken,

This sounds a lot more drastic than it really is, as long as you have
              the drivers for your peripherals and your application disks. You
              should windup with a drive compatable with a new one. Bite the bullet
              and do it then pound your chest and roar IT WORKS .... IT WORKS ....
              IT WORKS like new again. The next piece of advice is to go into your
              startup folder and remove any extraneous garbage, leaving only
              necessary files to run your PC. In my case, I only have "system tray",
              and "explorer". This will make for faster boot-ups and shut-downs and
              leave more RAM available which will obviously speed up your PC.

efs

Comment

Ken,

I have experience with Win2K installations. To perform a clean install and format the hard drive (losing all data) you will need to do the following;
                Boot using the Win2K installation CD, after the install routine checks your system and such, you will see a menu asking if you wish to install or repair. (I'm am going by memory here so some of the steps may be out of order) Choose install. Then you will have some options like "install on current partition" and the partition will be hi-lited. Check the other options available, I believe if you stirke the "D" key to delete the current partition, it will take you to another screen of which you will have to strike the "L" key to confirm the deletion. Then you will be brought back to the installation screen. The choices would be to install on the un-allocated space or create an partition. If you wish to have more than one partition on the drive, choose create partition otherwise choose install on un-allocated space. Then you will be asked to format the partition using FAT or NTFS, make your choice for the format option and then you are on your way.
                I hope this helps.

Rick

Comment

Ken,
                  Boot.ini is on all win 2000 systems. It is located in the root directory (usually C:) if you look in it you will wind it is a text file which references all the microsoft operating sytems on the computer and if you have win2000 installed twice it will be referenced twice allowing you to select where to boot from. You can comment out reference to one and it won't see it. It's been a while since I have edited a boot.ini and I forget if you use "rem" or ";". You can find more about it on the support.microsoft site. While you can delete reference to one OS and then delete the OS and the folder that contains it this might be tricky. I don't remember what happens to the registry when you do this.
                  If you have a backup of everything you might be better off reformatting and reinstalling everything. I wouldn't do a system restore because you will put all the junk back in the registry that you are getting rid of with the reinstall. Usually an OS reinstall makes a machine run better and eliminates some of the odd errors that occur.

Russ

Comment

If you plan on usung a network, choose NTFS.
                    efs

Comment

Ken,
                      Don't forget to tell us how you made out when it is done.
                      Ed

Comment

For those who asked, here's an update.

Whew, what a task this has been. I tried several times to repair 'one' of the bad particians which I presume was the first one. However, w2k didn't quite get it all together so the repair nerver worked out. I ended up buying a 40 G HD and formating that and loading w2k. Took some doing to get the network card recognized as w2k was blind to it, even after pulling the card, rebooting, shutting down, reinserting the card and starting up again. So, I had to do it all manually and finally got the drivers installed and the network operating.

Copied the files I needed from C drive to the new F drive. Must say that w2k didn't give me the same options on the old HD as the new, perhaps because the new HD hadn't been formated.

Anyhow, just have to import the address books and email from the old HD and then to reformat it.

Does anyone know if I can rename the new HD to Drive C and the old to Drive F? Is that possible? If so, how?

kenn

Comment

Hi Ken,

I don't know about W2K, but you can certainly rename the drive in
                          device manager in W9x. In some cases it renames itself when it is the
                          boot drive. For the future buy DriveCopy from Powerquest, it will
                          partition, format and copy a hard drive that is bootable. I use it a
                          lot for people that are upgrading to a larger drive. The only caveat
                          is that the new drive must be of equal length or larger. It will
                          proportion logical drives exactly to match the old drive.

Hope this helps,
                          efs

Comment

efs,

R-Ya-Sure? All my win 98 device manager shows are the devices. How in the world wood-ya rename the drive?

I thought that w2k would rename the drives but it didn't. I'll check out DriveCopy.

Thanks,

kenn

Comment

Hi Ken,

I'll try from memory. In device manager, hilite the drive then select
                              properties, settings. Down near the bottom you will see drive letters
                              change them to what you want and click OK.

Hope this helps,
                              efs

Comment

efs,

Yes, your memory is correct. It's a bit different in win 2k and burried a bit deeper but it can be changed.

Thanks,

kenn

Comment

Working...
                                X